The Double Standard Argument

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Below is an excerpt from an article by Bill Barr regarding Trump's indictment. Mostly I do not trust anybody in gov't of either party, but Bill Barr is IMHO an exception. Maybe he has a certain animus towards Trump, as obviously many others do. As this situation wears on, we'll hear more from one side or the other about what the 'facts' are and who to believe and probably most of us will accept anything that supports our side and ridicule the other. One of the issues that many on the Right bring up is the 'Double Standard' argument, that Barr addresses:

The “Double Standard” Argument

Sensible Republicans don’t even try to defend Trump’s behavior. Instead, they point to the flagrant “double standard,” arguing that it’s unfair to charge Trump when Hillary Clinton got away scot-free during the Obama administration for comparable behavior.

I believe there is a double standard. And I have spoken out repeatedly about it when I was attorney general and since.

I think the DOJ sometimes pursues alleged wrongdoing by Republicans with far more gusto than it does when the allegations implicate Democrats. I also agree the differential treatment of Hillary Clinton is a good example of this. During the Obama administration, the DOJ conducted a grossly inadequate investigation of Clinton’s use of a private email server and the intentional destruction of that server before the department had a sufficient chance to review it. This deficient investigation, coupled with sweeping grants of immunity to the key people involved, made it impossible later to impose appropriate accountability on those responsible.

But while the double standard is real, responding to Trump’s indictment by repetitively invoking this grievance is essentially a dodge. It sidesteps the real questions raised by Trump’s behavior.

The question is this: should Trump have been given a pass by the DOJ just because Hillary may have been? Some of my Republican friends think the answer is yes. I am unconvinced. It is not clear to me that giving Trump a pass would be the best way of restoring the rule of law and putting the double standard behind us.

This is not a case where the government has stretched the law or manufactured an offense, and is carrying out a hit job on someone who has really done nothing wrong. Rather, the argument advanced by Trump’s defenders is that, even though Trump’s conduct was indefensible and likely a serious crime, Hillary did the same thing. And it’s unfair that Hillary got away with it.

But if Trump engaged in the kind of brazen criminal conduct alleged, then applying the law in his case is not unfair to him. The injustice lies in not having applied it seven years ago to Hillary. You don’t rectify that omission by giving future violators a free pass. You rectify it by applying the right standard to the case at hand, and insisting it is applied to comparable cases going forward. Here, that means ensuring the same standard is applied in the pending investigations of Hunter Biden and President Biden’s handling of classified documents.

In short, giving a pass to Trump might cause more harm to the rule of law than honestly applying the law to him. The rule of law won’t be restored by further degrading the rule of law. As Andrew McCarthy pithily observed: “The fix for a two-tiered justice system is not equal injustice under the law.”

He makes valid points against the double standard argument. I'm not saying that anything Barr says is 100% true nor false, but justice requires equal treatment and these days that ain't happening. Would a Trump conviction change the politicization and weaponization of our justice system? I don't think so. Who is going to "insist that the right standard is applied to comparable cases going forward" when it's somebody on your side that is accused? And don't try to tell me that's what they're doing with the Bidens, that's a crock that is going nowhere.

I think there is a Double Standard

The offenses Hillary committed pale in comparison compared to what Trump did along with intent and cooperation with the investigation.

It cost Hillary the Presidency

Yet, Trump, who complained the loudest and built his campaign on “Crooked Hillary” continues to campaign in spite of a criminal indictment for worse actions

Double Standard

The offenses Hillary committed pale in comparison compared to what Trump did along with intent and cooperation with the investigation.

Yet, Trump, who complained the loudest and built his campaign on “Crooked Hillary” continues to campaign in spite of a criminal indictment for worse actions

Double Standard
Progs underestimated the votes in 2016. And the Trump team when it was close kept an eye on Detroit as an example. in 2020 Progs did not make that mistake. And in 2022 also. Fetterman and Hobbs are two examples.

Below is an excerpt from an article by Bill Barr regarding Trump's indictment. Mostly I do not trust anybody in gov't of either party, but Bill Barr is IMHO an exception. Maybe he has a certain animus towards Trump, as obviously many others do. As this situation wears on, we'll hear more from one side or the other about what the 'facts' are and who to believe and probably most of us will accept anything that supports our side and ridicule the other. One of the issues that many on the Right bring up is the 'Double Standard' argument, that Barr addresses:

Sensible Republicans don’t even try to defend Trump’s behavior. Instead, they point to the flagrant “double standard,” arguing that it’s unfair to charge Trump when Hillary Clinton got away scot-free during the Obama administration for comparable behavior.
Sensible Republicans, are pointing out that Trump committed no crime.

I believe there is a double standard. And I have spoken out repeatedly about it when I was attorney general and since.

I think the DOJ sometimes pursues alleged wrongdoing by Republicans with far more gusto than it does when the allegations implicate Democrats. I also agree the differential treatment of Hillary Clinton is a good example of this. During the Obama administration, the DOJ conducted a grossly inadequate investigation of Clinton’s use of a private email server and the intentional destruction of that server before the department had a sufficient chance to review it. This deficient investigation, coupled with sweeping grants of immunity to the key people involved, made it impossible later to impose appropriate accountability on those responsible.

But while the double standard is real, responding to Trump’s indictment by repetitively invoking this grievance is essentially a dodge. It sidesteps the real questions raised by Trump’s behavior.

The question is this: should Trump have been given a pass by the DOJ just because Hillary may have been? Some of my Republican friends think the answer is yes. I am unconvinced. It is not clear to me that giving Trump a pass would be the best way of restoring the rule of law and putting the double standard behind us.

This is not a case where the government has stretched the law or manufactured an offense, and is carrying out a hit job on someone who has really done nothing wrong. Rather, the argument advanced by Trump’s defenders is that, even though Trump’s conduct was indefensible and likely a serious crime, Hillary did the same thing. And it’s unfair that Hillary got away with it.

But if Trump engaged in the kind of brazen criminal conduct alleged, then applying the law in his case is not unfair to him. The injustice lies in not having applied it seven years ago to Hillary. You don’t rectify that omission by giving future violators a free pass. You rectify it by applying the right standard to the case at hand, and insisting it is applied to comparable cases going forward. Here, that means ensuring the same standard is applied in the pending investigations of Hunter Biden and President Biden’s handling of classified documents.

In short, giving a pass to Trump might cause more harm to the rule of law than honestly applying the law to him. The rule of law won’t be restored by further degrading the rule of law. As Andrew McCarthy pithily observed: “The fix for a two-tiered justice system is not equal injustice under the law.”

He makes valid points against the double standard argument. I'm not saying that anything Barr says is 100% true nor false, but justice requires equal treatment and these days that ain't happening. Would a Trump conviction change the politicization and weaponization of our justice system? I don't think so. Who is going to "insist that the right standard is applied to comparable cases going forward" when it's somebody on your side that is accused? And don't try to tell me that's what they're doing with the Bidens, that's a crock that is going nowhere.

And yet in the end he knows only Republicans will still get the shaft, because he won't actually do anything about it.

Plus nailing Trump for him outweighs anything else.

maybe, juries get things wrong all the time, this trial is already a political circus

How come they did not get a prosecutor that lives in the USA, that is the first red flag.

The jury will decide Trumps guilt or innocence based on the evidence provided

That is the way things work in this country

Fwiw, America has created a government situation in which Trump will walk. Shame!

Below is an excerpt from an article by Bill Barr regarding Trump's indictment...

...the DOJ conducted a grossly inadequate investigation of Clinton’s use of a private email server and the intentional destruction of that server before the department had a sufficient chance to review it. This deficient investigation, coupled with sweeping grants of immunity to the key people involved, made it impossible later to impose appropriate accountability on those responsible.
This comment shows how stupid Bill Barr is. The DOJ did an extremely thorough investigation. The DOJ uncovered fragments of deleted emails on the server's hard drives that showed Clinton had destroyed classified emails. The investigators found evidence to prosecute.

Bill Barr should know this, but he acts oblivious, protecting Hillary Clinton, claiming the investigation was deficient. The investigation was not deficient, they have the evidence to prosecute Clinton if they wish.

Bill Barr is enjoying fame he never could achieve by his accomplishments. Bill Barr is simply telling the Democratic Party what it wants to hear so that he can get paid to be on television and eat for free at those giant buffets set up for the guests.

Once again showing the difference in severity of the two offenses.
Hillary was inadvertent
Trumps was intentional
Hillary inadvertently smashed her telephones with hammers?

Hillary inadvertently put an illegal server in her private home?

Hillary inadvertently smashed all the cell phones with hammers?

Sure, President Trump intentionally took his presidential papers with him when he left office. According to the presidential records act (PRA), this is not a crime, hence President Trump was not charged with violating the PRA

The jury will decide Trumps guilt or innocence based on the evidence provided

That is the way things work in this country
Oh, I forgot we have a perfect system where no mistakes or corruption ever happens. You think we should go back and put those murderers back in jail who got released because of DNA evidence?

And, I guess you are right, Dred Scott had no right to be free, because he was property of someone else, as a jury decided.

Yep, jury's decide, right, every single time. We are perfect, thank you rightwinger, I will obey everything government dictates.

Double Standard
She was also aggressively investigated for Benghazi, to what purpose?

The years long Dem WITCH HUNT to get Trump on something has resulted in the American people assuming it's all BS. That Dems and government agencies look the other way and bend over backwards to give Democrats a pass is also a factor.

Forum List

Back