What's new

Mega-warehouses heap more pollution on hard-hit Illinois neighborhoods

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Proliferation of hubs for online shopping disproportionately sited in low-income neighborhoods or communities of color

Hundreds of mega-warehouses have been built in Illinois for online shopping in recent years and the rise in delivery trucks is polluting neighborhoods already burdened with poor air quality, a new study says.

Two million people in Illinois live within a half-mile of large warehouses, which are disproportionately located in low-income neighborhoods and communities of color.

A new report by the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) identified at least 2,400 leased warehouses covering 632m sq ft – a 33% rise from the previous decade.

A community farm next to an Amazon last-mile facility in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Noise, pollution, danger: how Amazon warehouses upended a sleepy New York neighborhood
Read more

“When you order a new toothbrush online or a new pair of shoes, these items are generally stored in large warehouses that are increasingly being built across our communities,” said Sam Becker, global clean air project manager at the EDF and author of the report.

“They’re brought to your door generally by a truck that’s burning diesel, emitting harmful pollutants into the communities that it’s passing through.”

Tailpipes of diesel trucks spew black carbon, nitrogen oxide and fine particulate matter, or PM 2.5, into the air. Exposure to these pollutants increases the risk of childhood asthma, pre-term births, heart disease and stroke. Children, elderly and pregnant people are especially vulnerable to traffic-related air pollution.

The report findings show that these mega-warehouses are largely concentrated in communities of color. Hispanic, Black and low-income people live near warehouses at rates that are 195%, 137% and 125% more likely, respectively, than would be expected from statewide demographics.

I suspect that no matter what any data showed, the "Environmental Defense Fund" was going to find an issue.

Has ANY ''environmental group'' EVER invented ANYTHING that dramatically reduced pollution but was usable, cost effective, and actually worked?

Are they are so hard-up for attention that they now have toss-out the "race" card?

Hell, we have a couple "mega warehouses" in my deep red AO and the closest "people of color" are ten miles away in either direction. The median income of the area is much higher than the national average too.

I bet if they were to try to close them down, the "people of color" that work in those places would hunt them down and string them up if they showed-up on site.

Hey EDF....Do Data Centers if you really want something to do that might help.

Proliferation of hubs for online shopping disproportionately sited in low-income neighborhoods or communities of color

Hundreds of mega-warehouses have been built in Illinois for online shopping in recent years and the rise in delivery trucks is polluting neighborhoods already burdened with poor air quality, a new study says.

Two million people in Illinois live within a half-mile of large warehouses, which are disproportionately located in low-income neighborhoods and communities of color.

A new report by the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) identified at least 2,400 leased warehouses covering 632m sq ft – a 33% rise from the previous decade.

A community farm next to an Amazon last-mile facility in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Noise, pollution, danger: how Amazon warehouses upended a sleepy New York neighborhood
Read more

“When you order a new toothbrush online or a new pair of shoes, these items are generally stored in large warehouses that are increasingly being built across our communities,” said Sam Becker, global clean air project manager at the EDF and author of the report.

“They’re brought to your door generally by a truck that’s burning diesel, emitting harmful pollutants into the communities that it’s passing through.”

Tailpipes of diesel trucks spew black carbon, nitrogen oxide and fine particulate matter, or PM 2.5, into the air. Exposure to these pollutants increases the risk of childhood asthma, pre-term births, heart disease and stroke. Children, elderly and pregnant people are especially vulnerable to traffic-related air pollution.

The report findings show that these mega-warehouses are largely concentrated in communities of color. Hispanic, Black and low-income people live near warehouses at rates that are 195%, 137% and 125% more likely, respectively, than would be expected from statewide demographics.

I suspect that no matter what any data showed, the "Environmental Defense Fund" was going to find an issue.

Has ANY ''environmental group'' EVER invented ANYTHING that dramatically reduced pollution but was usable, cost effective, and actually worked?

Are they are so hard-up for attention that they now have toss-out the "race" card?

Hell, we have a couple "mega warehouses" in my deep red AO and the closest "people of color" are ten miles away in either direction. The median income of the area is much higher than the national average too.

I bet if they were to try to close them down, the "people of color" that work in those places would hunt them down and string them up if they showed-up on site.

Hey EDF....Do Data Centers if you really want something to do that might help.
We need to import more poor third worlders for Amazon.....no thank you

It's going to be super easy for these companies to prove, in a court-of-law, that the buying choice was strictly economical ... the neighbors' skin-color wasn't considered at all ...

Yes ... industry buys the cheapest land for warehouses and such ... capitalism at it's finest ... do you think Amazon would be in business still if they bought land for warehouses on Lower Manhattan Island? ...

This doesn't happen in Oregon ... our land use laws prevent commercial buildings in residential neighborhoods ... these warehouses would have to be built in the warehouse districts of town, if there's any room left ... the town I live in has no more space, a warehouse must be razed before a new one can be built ... we're up against farmland and forests, neither of which allows any building at all ...

It's going to be super easy for these companies to prove, in a court-of-law, that the buying choice was strictly economical ... the neighbors' skin-color wasn't considered at all ...

Yes ... industry buys the cheapest land for warehouses and such ... capitalism at it's finest ... do you think Amazon would be in business still if they bought land for warehouses on Lower Manhattan Island? ...

This doesn't happen in Oregon ... our land use laws prevent commercial buildings in residential neighborhoods ... these warehouses would have to be built in the warehouse districts of town, if there's any room left ... the town I live in has no more space, a warehouse must be razed before a new one can be built ... we're up against farmland and forests, neither of which allows any building at all ...
That's the way it is in my AO.....I suspect it's the same in most AOs that do not have local politicians whose livelihoods (or reelections) depend on grift.

That's the way it is in my AO.....I suspect it's the same in most AOs that do not have local politicians whose livelihoods (or reelections) depend on grift.

In part ... Republicans have been pushing the "job creation" plank for several election cycles now ... so I've created 10 family-wage jobs, but now I have ten families living in a hotel ... it's illegal to build houses on farm or forest land in Oregon ...

This wouldn't be a problem if I had started the process of re-zoning some land for housing 20 years ago ... we'd be finishing up the process by now ... but as it stands today, I really can't fill those job openings for another 20 years from now ... or cause 10 families to be homeless ...

Oregon saw what was happening in California, and all but unlimited growth ... and passed laws to prevent such from happening here ... over these past 50 years, Oregon voters will not ease these draconian land-use laws ...

The communities of color attack, destroy, and steal commercial buildings out of existence. Customers are forced into online shopping. Now the communities of color don't like warehouses. They don't like working from them either.

Tough shit. Maybe you shouldn't have mobs stripping stores.

That is not their purpose, they are scientists, not entrepeneurs.

And they are not playing the "race card", just delivering cold, hard, statistical data that shows a correlation to poverty stricken neighborhoods (largely black) and where these mega warehouses are located.

Of course they won't build them in nice neighborhoods, so they build them outside of locations where all the traffic and congestion, and of course the pollution, won't affect property values and quality of life, for those with money, which oft times rules out people of color.

You don't have to like any of that, just acknowledge it is statistically relevant to the discussion. Not everyone has 40 acres and a mule.

Forum List

Back
Top Bottom