The Man Who Knew too Much - 1956

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This is one of those movies that stand the test of time.
Not sure I have seen it before all at one sitting.
We watched it last night. I enjoyed that James Stewart withheld some of that... hokey typical way he played characters and acted like a normal character.
The storyline is good, plenty of suspense and twists.
I watched a few minutes of the original 1934 version... not too sure we could have watched it. Acting was very different that far back.

Glad we watched it.

www.jpg

I hate any movie with Doris Day in it
She is like fingernails on a blackboard to me
Sickly sweet and they introduced that awful Que Sera, Sera song in it

Of course you do.
I'm sure anything decent, honest, and worthy of human nature would burn you like acid.

Such is the life of pure living evil.

Doris Day is so god damned annoying

Like that girl in class who was always sucking up to the teacher
Then they plug in that awful Que Sera, sera song

Awful song for sure.
And I am not a big Doris Day fan either... sort of the Julia Roberts of the 50s.
But in this movie, like James Stewart, she didn't play the role like a starry eyed goody goody girl like most of her roles.

Also - this is the "lighter side" of USMB.
This is movie reviews section... typically without all of the insulting and rock throwing
Leave that in the upstairs forums.

We watched it last night. I enjoyed that James Stewart withheld some of that... hokey typical way he played characters and acted like a normal character.
I watched a few minutes of the original 1934 version... not too sure we could have watched it. Acting was very different that far back.

Glad we watched it.

View attachment 549984
Pretty much every Hitchcock film has stood the test of time. This is one of his.

Glad we watched it.

View attachment 549984
In my opinion it's a good Hitchcock movie but not as good as Rear Window, or Vertigo, two Hitchcock films of that era staring James Stewart.

I really hated her eternal virgin movies she made with Rock Hudson. However, in this movie she did a pretty good job also she was good in the movie Love Me, or Leave Me in which she played the stinger Ruth Etting.

Last edited:
I really hated her eternal virgin movies she made with Rock Hudson. However, in this movie she did a pretty good job also she was good in the movie Love Me, or Leave Me in which played the stinger Ruth Etting.
Sorry, but this is Alfred Freaking Hitchcock and he uses one of his films to introduce a Doris Day song.
LAME

Love Rear Window
My favorite Hitchcock. It builds the suspense slowly creating tension bit by bit until the chilling finally. Grace Kelly as the beautiful girl friend is perfect. Wish she had made more movies. She was my teenage idol. In her brief 6 year career she made 11 movies, 3 for Hitchcock, nominated for 2 academy awards and winning one for Country Girl.

Last edited:
It's funny, I'm not sure anyone outside of people who actually knew her - knew she had so many freckles.
Today, with HD TVs, we see them all.
Every picture of her without movie make up shows her freckles.
1633898294504.png

Sorry, but this is Alfred Freaking Hitchcock and he uses one of his films to introduce a Doris Day song.
LAME

1633898337411.png

Doris Day is so god damned annoying

Like that girl in class who was always sucking up to the teacher
Then they plug in that awful Que Sera, sera song
Doris Day in an interview on NPR said, she did not like the song and told Hitchcock she didn't want sing it. Hichcock convinced her to sing it because it was an integral part of the finale of the movie. Doris Day sings Que Sera, Sera over and over loudly so Stewart will know she is there. She sings the song over and over to hold her audience while Stewart rescues their son. Her audience becomes restless but she still goes on singing, hoping no one will walk out the door. Hitchcock is using the repetitive refrain of song to build tension leading up to rescue of her son.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back