SpaceX signs first customer for launch of a reused rocket

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Now that SpaceX has proved that its rocket boosters can land back on Earth, the company has signed its first customer to launch a satellite on one of those reused rockets.

Luxembourg satellite operator SES reached an agreement with Hawthorne-based SpaceX to launch a SES-10 communications satellite aboard a Falcon 9 rocket at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

Martin Halliwell, SES’ chief technology officer, said he hoped that the satellite would launch in October. SpaceX would only say the launch was set for this fall.

“We believe this is the way to go forward,” Halliwell said. “Having these total-loss missions where nothing is recovered seems to be a terrible waste.”

Reusing rockets could eventually cut launch costs 30%, SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell has estimated. Halliwell said he could not disclose the price that SES paid for its flight on the rocket, saying only that the company did get a discount for being the first customer.

http://www.latimes.c...snap-story.html

Historic!!! Go Spacex, Go nasa, Go space exploration!!!

Now that SpaceX has proved that its rocket boosters can land back on Earth, the company has signed its first customer to launch a satellite on one of those reused rockets.

Luxembourg satellite operator SES reached an agreement with Hawthorne-based SpaceX to launch a SES-10 communications satellite aboard a Falcon 9 rocket at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

Martin Halliwell, SES’ chief technology officer, said he hoped that the satellite would launch in October. SpaceX would only say the launch was set for this fall.

“We believe this is the way to go forward,” Halliwell said. “Having these total-loss missions where nothing is recovered seems to be a terrible waste.”

Reusing rockets could eventually cut launch costs 30%, SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell has estimated. Halliwell said he could not disclose the price that SES paid for its flight on the rocket, saying only that the company did get a discount for being the first customer.

http://www.latimes.c...snap-story.html

Historic!!! Go Spacex, Go nasa, Go space exploration!!!
Great news. I'm sure the valve I was on the team to design and manufacture will do fine.

Getting closer and closer everyday to realizing my dreams of having my ashes spread in space after I die. Excellent.

The exploitation of space in the hands of private industry is the best way to go. They can make space travel cheaper and more reliable than the Government can. Leave the research and theoretical science stuff to NASA.

Forum List

Back