NY City charges black conservative with building a personal firearm.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
A man with no criminal history was arrested for using his hobby machine shop to make a receiver. He is facing 18 years in prison.

Commentary: Both the ATF and the NYPD raided this man's home for a "crime" that is a completely legal activity in most states. There is a GiveSendGo link in the article.

Not exactly a one off for personal use, when you buy $10,000 worth of parts to make weapons without serial numbers for fun and profit. I wish him luck. Anybody else, I recommend familiarity with the law, before going into production. With no crimininal history, I hope he gets out of this time, with a better understanding of the do's and don'ts of his new hobby.

Depends on what you're building.
I built my own AR-15. $10,000 worth of parts I could make a bunch of them, and probably better than many off the rack. Does not sound like a wise move, even where I live.

A man with no criminal history was arrested for using his hobby machine shop to make a receiver. He is facing 18 years in prison.

Commentary: Both the ATF and the NYPD raided this man's home for a "crime" that is a completely legal activity in most states. There is a GiveSendGo link in the article.

He should be released without bail just like the migrants that attacked two policemen.

I built my own AR-15. $10,000 worth of parts I could make a bunch of them, and probably better than many off the rack. Does not sound like a wise move, even where I live.
Sure, but you could build a .22 upper, a 9mm upper, a 300 blk upper a .223 Rem upper, a 350 Legend upper, a 450 Bushmaster upper, a 7.62x39 upper...etc, etc...

The money adds up quick. Ask me how I know...

Sure, but you could build a .22 upper, a 9mm upper, a 300 blk upper a .223 Rem upper, a 350 Legend upper, a 450 Bushmaster upper, a 7.62x39 upper...etc, etc...
We have not seen the parts list yet. If they get any kind of conviction, we undoubtedly will. I don't pretend to know what the guy was doing, other than attracting a lot of attention, buying online.

We have not seen the parts list yet. If they get any kind of conviction, we undoubtedly will. I don't pretend to know what the guy was doing, other than attracting a lot of attention, buying online.
It does likely reveal that the ATF is tracking parts sales.

It does likely reveal that the ATF is tracking parts sales.
I was pretty sure they were, when I bought all the parts for mine, and "ghost" guns were not even a big issue back then. Does the fact of online weapons sales, and most likely ammo are being tracked surprise you? It does not surprise me.

It doesn't surprise me...it surprises me that they would basically confirm they are spying on American's 100% legal gun parts purchases.

I've built, assembled is actually a more accurate word, several ARs, both rifles and pistols. Buying the parts is not something that should even attract attention.

Now that I'm retired, I've definitely considered building a work shop, including a big milling machine. There are a thousand projects that come to mind. And I'll still continue to buy AR parts, and parts for other guns I own or may own in the future.

But if I have a milling machine, I may also make some of my parts. Having a milling machine and buying parts is not probable cause for a search or for a warrant. Anything recovered by the search is fruit of the poisonous tree and needs to be thrown out. I hope he has a good lawyer and that one or more of the gun and non-gun legal groups back him up. This is a 4th Amendment problem more than it is a 2nd Amendment problem - and it is a huge 2nd Amendment problem.

Not exactly a one off for personal use, when you buy $10,000 worth of parts to make weapons without serial numbers for fun and profit. I wish him luck. Anybody else, I recommend familiarity with the law, before going into production. With no crimininal history, I hope he gets out of this time, with a better understanding of the do's and don'ts of his new hobby.
In the oral arguments for Cargill a couple weeks ago, the Supreme Court was very interested in the ATF's plans for enforcement of the bump stock ban and they weren't too happy when the ATF answered openly and on the record, they believe they can charge anyone who had a bump stock one day after their order made them NFA items, even in districts where the appellate courts said the ban was unconstitutional. The Court asked them about how people would know, even joking about gun owners sitting down in the evening with their coffee reading the Federal Register.

If the ban is eventually ruled constitutional, they are most likely planning on going after everyone. Thus, I think it would be an error to think that the ATF or the Federal prosecutor would agree to or ask for leniency. This is exactly the guy they want to make an example of. If they're willing to put this guy away for a long time, everyone else better imagine what the ATF will do to them for something similar.

The ATF is on an all-out war with gun owners. In general, and because of the abuses of the ATF and all branches or departments of the Executive Branch during and after the Trump administration, I've been saying that every Federal Government supervisor and above, within 500 miles of Washington DC, regardless of department, needs to be fired to clean house of insurrectionists and those who participated in the coups against Donald Trump.

For the ATF, though, it needs to be every single person fired. Let them reapply for non-supervisory jobs (no existing ATF personnel should ever be allowed to be in a supervisory role in any law enforcement agency) but to get or keep jobs they should pass a lie detector test that, even under orders, they never knowingly violated the constitutional rights of any person.

Forum List

Back