Journey’s Jonathan Cain recalls frontman Steve Perry leaving the band for good: ‘He was fragile’

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Most bands seem to have conflict. I guess it comes with the territory. It's probably quite challenging to bring together four or five highly talented musicians with all their creative genius and who, in many cases, use their music to channel personal demons and issues. They probably all have very strong ideas about the type of music they're making and the production process, not to mention the contracts and business of capitalizing on their talents. And then if they get success, there's probably jealousy if band members perceive that one or two members are getting more credit than the rest. Throw drugs and alcohol into the mix, and then it probably unravels from there.

One of THE biggest sellout bands in rock history.
Before Perry they were moving into the hard rock scene, departing from the "dreamy" rock of their first album. Their 2nd album was, for the time, hard rock.
Their breakout Album was of course "Infinity". The first with Perry.
Undeniable Perry's voice sold albums. But with him, he brought vocal-centric songs that were anything but hard rock. Such as "Patiently"... which in my opinion, is not even rock.
But all in all it was a good album, huge switch from their previous 3.
Their last good album was "Escape" from 1981. It all went downhill from there.
I remember returning from the record store with "Frontiers" - popped in the cassette - and hated it.
Horrible album that was thrown together to fulfil their album contract. And was the last album I bought of theirs. I had a friend who bought "Raised on Radio" - another shit album thrown together to keep up their contract quota.
Thus - the sellout.
It was not about good music anymore, it was about selling albums and selling tickets.

Forum List

Back