Dismantle the Department of Homeland Security...Shrink government to such a tiny little fraction it is nothing more than a unrecognizable afterthought

this maybe the only thing Dick Cheney and I agree on!

the youngest of the federal departments, the DHS is the largest by employee count

Its divisions and agencies are now largely leaderless, because the White House refused to nominate senior managers to replace those who have left. Quick, who is the secretary of homeland security?

The DHS has become synonymous with unsympathetic government overreach, malevolence and dysfunction.

the solution? Integrating the current Customs and Border Protection agency and Immigration and Customs Enforcement into one coherent organization could open opportunities for more attractive career ladders, as well as creating cost savings.

Absolutely agree. DHS (as well as the "Patriot" act) were nonsense from the start. Our Founders hoped and wished for a SMALL federal government. Look, however, at what we have done to ourselves...............it's a damned shame.

I understand that at any point, there are nearly 189,000 ass-sitters within the beltway..all living off the taxpayer and (generally) accountable to no one.

more money for welfare means less for the Pentagon.

welfare is a good thing!

Welfare is way better for the economy than defense spending on shit to blow stuff up with. Welfare folks buy food, clothing, furniture and fixtures, increasing manufacturing and retail jobs, which results in a reduction in social spending and an increase in Americans working.

Look at the economic boost to the economy of the stimulus checks. Or when Trump's tax cuts to corporations generated $1000 for even a small percentage of the workers. Jobs and GDP had their best growth ever in his term.

How many jobs has the $35 billion spent on the F35 generated? Not nearly as many as that $35 billion would have generated had the money been spent on income supplements, and programs for the poor, and better public school programs in the inner cities.

Govt is over 50% of the workforce, time to shrink it bigly.

The federal government is only 14.5% of the workforce, and includes over 1 million members of the armed forces, as well as those who work in support role within the military. The largest category of state workers, is public and high school teachers, and with municipal workers, it's the police.

Police are the most expensive public service workers in America. Derrick Chauvin just cost the City of Minneapolis $27 million dollars in a wrongful death settlement. The officer who shot that poor young man the other week, will cost the city a similar amount. Settlement in excessive force cases cost the American taxpayers over $300 million last year, and that's just in the cities with populations over 100,000 people.

Imagine how much money the American taxpayers could save by training the police to serve and protect, instead dominate and control, and stop them from murdering black people in the streets and paying $27 million dollars settlements instead of locking up or even firing these murderers.

the youngest of the federal departments, the DHS is the largest by employee count

Its divisions and agencies are now largely leaderless, because the White House refused to nominate senior managers to replace those who have left. Quick, who is the secretary of homeland security?

The DHS has become synonymous with unsympathetic government overreach, malevolence and dysfunction.

the solution? Integrating the current Customs and Border Protection agency and Immigration and Customs Enforcement into one coherent organization could open opportunities for more attractive career ladders, as well as creating cost savings.

A night watchman state sounds alright with me.

Complex problems require more than bumper sticker solutions.

Sounds like that should be put on a bumper sticker.

Instead of coming back with posts like that, why not suggest something substantive?

Sounds like that should be put on a bumper sticker.

Instead of coming back with posts like that, why not suggest something substantive?

Proposing a "night watchman state" is hardly "something substantive" now is it. You can't run a country with 337 million people, the second largest economy, and the largest military in the world, on a skeleton crew.

How be you restore the voting rights of all citizens and actually let the citizens decide what they want instead of trying suppress the votes of the people who don't vote the way you want them to.

Forum List

Back