Zounds! What the fork are minced oaths? And why are we still fecking using them today?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
What in tarnation is “tarnation?” Why do people in old books exclaim “zounds!” in moments of surprise? And what could a professor of linguistics possibly have against “duck-loving crickets?”

I’ll get to the crickets later. But what unites all these expressions is a desire to find acceptable versions of profane or blasphemous words. “God” becomes “gosh,” “hell” becomes “heck,” and “damnation” becomes “tarnation.” In a similar vain, the rather antiquated phrase “God’s wounds” turns into “zounds.”

Ok. So is zounds pronounced like wounds?

What in tarnation is “tarnation?” Why do people in old books exclaim “zounds!” in moments of surprise? And what could a professor of linguistics possibly have against “duck-loving crickets?”

I’ll get to the crickets later. But what unites all these expressions is a desire to find acceptable versions of profane or blasphemous words. “God” becomes “gosh,” “hell” becomes “heck,” and “damnation” becomes “tarnation.” In a similar vain, the rather antiquated phrase “God’s wounds” turns into “zounds.”

Ok. So is zounds pronounced like wounds?
pounds

I know, right? God's wounds seemed like it would be pronounced like that.

I don't actually have intelligent conversations. I read them.

9726e46ee16302773d33f57525831885.gif

Forum List

Back