Your opinions please--discrimination

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trigg, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I just want some other opinions here that don't come from family members or my husband. In other words completely unbiased. This happened to me at work.

I work at a hosp. as a PRN person another of our receptionists is also PRN. A part-time position came up and we both expressed interest in it. We've both worked for this hospital the same number of years (6).

My supervisor told me that the reason I wasn't being considered for the position is because I have young children and the other women does not. So therefor she is able to be more flexibile with her hours....I had already told them I could work any hours when we talked about my taking the position.

I think this is complete bull. Since the whole point of PRN is that I work when necessary and I've been doing this for a number of years with no complaints. They would like me to stay on as PRN since they "really like the way I work and don't want to loose me". PLEASE YOUR OPINIONS.

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I don’t think children should have been mentioned , but that aside…

You can’t be twins, what is different about you two?
    Years as RN, past experience, areas worked etc.
    Do you both currently work the same hours per week?
    How about age (an illegal question). But it’s something they already know.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Yeah - that's iffy. You having children is none of their business.

4. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    She's older maybe in her 50's with her children out of the house entirely.

We both started out with the same amount of part-time hours, I went PRN 4 years ago....I started working every Sat..... with the birth of my youngest and have been asking for more hours for the past year. She changed to PRN about a year ago...and I picked up her hours which amounted to 2 days a week.... because she wanted to tryout another position inside the same hospital. Since it was in the hosp. it was a job transfer and she didn't loose any seniority.

As far as past experience goes, I'm not sure what hers was. I worked as a transcriptionist for years, but I had taken off 5 years to raise the kids and this was my first job after coming back to work.

She is good friends with my supervisor which probably has a lot to do with things. It still makes me mad that she mentioned my kids twice in the conversation. I've never taken time off because my kids were sick and only taken 2 days for myself being sick, so I don't even know why they were mentioned they've never been an issue in the past.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    The children part would be illegal if it was a interview for a new job, already working there and it being a comment....I donno..

http://hr.albany.edu/content/legalqtn.asp

6. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

I know, I'm not sure why they were even brought up.

I could understand this better if in the 6 years I've been working there my yearly evaluations had been questionable, but they haven't been.

So what is it?? They're friends socially and that's the only difference?? It was stupid to mention my kids since it looks like discrimination. Nothing else was said except that I have a laid back personality. Oh, I do a good job and my work is always done, they don't want to loose me and they want me to stay PRN, but she's more type A than I am.

7. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    call a few of the local employment attorneys near you and ask. a good way to find one is www.findlaw.com . You can also find more info on this situation there. I found this for you, so it may help.

link to rest:
    http://employment.findlaw.com/emplo...t-employee-other-discrimination-facts(2).html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    Did they vebally give you the reason, or was it in writing? Also, are there any witnesses to these conversations? Maybe secretly record the conversation with a recorder in your pocket if that is legal in your state...some states allow for recording of conversation without the consent of the other party.

9. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Not knowing both of your entire backgrounds I can only assess the problem from being a former NTEU rep...You stated here that this was your first job after returning from a 5 year hiatus...to raise your kids...so this being the case the other employee probably has the senority...albeit the supervisor probably should not have used the children issue as to why he/she made his/her decision...You really have no case...this appears as if they are happy with your work(as you stated)...so making waves at this point is not really a good idea...imo

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Most do.....

Federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A majority of the states and territories have adopted wiretapping statutes based on the federal law, although most also have extended the law to cover in-person conversations. Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit individuals to record conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so. These laws are referred to as "one-party consent" statutes, and as long as you are a party to the conversation, it is legal for you to record it. (Nevada also has a one-party consent statute, but the state Supreme Court has interpreted it as an all-party rule.)

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as "two-party consent" laws. If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/