Would this make you happy?

loosecannon

May 7, 2007
A cheap and simple fix in the computer software of new airport scanners could silence the uproar from travelers who object to the so-called virtual strip search, according to a scientist who helped develop the program at one of the federal government's most prestigious institutes.

The researcher, associated with the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, said he was rebuffed when he offered the concept to Department of Homeland Security officials four years ago.

The fix would distort the images captured on full-body scanners so they look like reflections in a fun-house mirror, but any potentially dangerous objects would be clearly revealed, said Willard "Bill" Wattenburg, a former nuclear weapons designer at the Livermore lab.The scanners normally produce real-time outlines of the naked human body, and the Transportation Security Administration has been embroiled in controversy since installation of the new scanners began last month.

"Why not just distort the image into something grotesque so that there isn't anything titillating or exciting about it?" Wattenburg said.

Scientists say they have solution to TSA scanner objections

Just asking because the Obama admin is trial ballooning this idea in the press.

Personally I couldn't give a shit if some remote stranger sees me neked if I wasn't getting nuked in the process, maybe being inadvertently sterilized or genetically modified by under qualified airport security techs.

Just think how heavy that drape in the dentist office is for a single x-ray. Then think how long a dental x-ray lasts (its a FAST zap) and now long they have you stand and image you in that little set up they got going.

Fuzzing out all outlines is fine by me....IF it would work.

I've just decided that I'm not going to fly again until the American people decide that they want to stop being pussies.

Just think how heavy that drape in the dentist office is for a single x-ray. Then think how long a dental x-ray lasts (its a FAST zap) and now long they have you stand and image you in that little set up they got going.

I dunno shit about this, but I know that there are medical screening technologies that don't use harmful x-rays. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, perhaps others.

There must be 10 different spectrums of electromagnetic waves that can be used to detect contraband besides high energy x-rays? Infrared?

I wouldn't take the word of the government that this is actually what's happening considering you certainly can't take their word that the images aren't stored.

I dunno shit about this, but I know that there are medical screening technologies that don't use harmful x-rays. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, perhaps others.

There must be 10 different spectrums of electromagnetic waves that can be used to detect contraband besides high energy x-rays? Infrared?
Excellent discussion:

Science Friday Archives: Airport Scanners

What I don't understand is that since SONAR is used safely on unborn children why isn't TSA using it? The American taxpayer will end up paying for every death, cancer and whatnot that can be imputed to this idiotic system.

What I don't understand is that since SONAR is used safely on unborn children why isn't TSA using it? The American taxpayer will end up paying for every death, cancer and whatnot that can be imputed to this idiotic system.

Because it would suck to have the slimy couplant spread all over ones body.

Some people may enjoy it![/QUOTE]

"Did they touch your body parts?"

GLORIA ALLRED: "Yeah, they did and it was a first time anybody touched them in a long time and frankly, I liked it," Gloria Allred."

RealClearPolitics - Video - Gloria Allred On TSA Pat-Down: "I Liked It"

If I were a frequent flyer I'd choose the pat down. Uncle says the scanners are safe? Please. :eusa_hand:

Hard call. I am a 1k flyer. I would prefer imaging to having tsa hands all over my body.

Safe is a relative term. How many people do the tsa search before they put their grubby hands all over you?

Ever had an MRI? No that would not be feasible. The equipment involved is far to big.

I personally think thermal imaging would be better then this.

Ever had an MRI? No that would not be feasible. The equipment involved is far to big.

I personally think thermal imaging would be better then this.

thermal imaging is infrared.

here is an example:

Far_Infrared_Before_Pic.gif

I don't know nearly enough about all the aspects of this, like security effectiveness etc, but surely there are other options.

The answer is in the Science Friday link in the post right before yours.

Because it would suck to have the slimy couplant spread all over ones body.

Some people may enjoy it!

"Did they touch your body parts?"

GLORIA ALLRED: "Yeah, they did and it was a first time anybody touched them in a long time and frankly, I liked it," Gloria Allred."

RealClearPolitics - Video - Gloria Allred On TSA Pat-Down: "I Liked It"

That's pretty funny! I usually do not associate her with a sense of humor.

Excellent discussion:

Science Friday Archives: Airport Scanners
The professor says that Millimeter Wave is the way to go, and produces no radiation.

If I were a frequent flyer I'd choose the pat down. Uncle says the scanners are safe? Please. :eusa_hand:

Hard call. I am a 1k flyer. I would prefer imaging to having tsa hands all over my body.

Safe is a relative term. How many people do the tsa search before they put their grubby hands all over you?

Hands are on your clothes, not your nakedness.

I don't trust the scanners. Watch, they'll say they're safe and xx years down the road they'll be like 'oops, we made a mistake. they're really harmful'.

When you're in the scanner can you give them the finger during imaging? lol, I would.

Forum List

Back