CDZ Would every state have handled this massive emergency as well as they have in Texas?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by shockedcanadian, Aug 31, 2017.

1. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,452
    Most of us outside the U.S and many inside, know that Texas is the greatest state in the union and how they have handled themselves throughout this absolute life changing event has been astounding for the most part. I have to say, all things considered, to date they have carried themselves very well.

First, let's consider the size impacted. It's massive.

Now consider the population size, in the fourth largest city in America.

Now consider in general, the teamwork, the call to action, the actions themselves. Minimal complaining, noone arguing and bickering, people taking charge, others instinctively knowing what to do if noone is there to lead.

I believe most people anywhere revert to certain characteristics in times of crises, but would there be such unifying actions in other states? Or would it be like in a Hollywood movie with people complaining, fighting and getting into a debate while the storm and flooding came closer and endangered more?

I've been glued to the TV, seen the good and the sad, but I also see a defiant group where those who were fortunate don't bat an eye to help. As one guy said yesterday in his own, Texan way when CNN praised for all he had done to help as he was in his boat, he brushed it off quickly and strongly, "this is nothing. I'm lucky, my home is ok. The least I can do is help others who aren't as fortunate." He then used the opportunity on CNN not to tell his stories of heroism, but to call others to get into the act and use their boats.

Unique to Texas?

2. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    Probably not. Geography doesn't have much to do with whether individuals exhibit munificence and magnanimity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BlackFlag

BlackFlag I haz hoisted it!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,906
    Yeah the overwhelmingly Democrat leaning city of Houston has done a pretty good job. Great display of why government is important.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,194
    Texas has behaved admirably

But past storms have shown the real problems don't reveal themselves for weeks and months after the storm. People become frustrated because power hasn't returned. They become angry because it takes so long to get paid by your insurance. Why is it taking so long for me to get back into my house? They become irate when basic public services take so long to be restored.

We will see how well Texas performs. Texas prides themselves on being a low tax state. That means they may have scrimped on public works budget or other budget items that were considered non-essential. They now may be essential

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. task0778

task0778 Silver Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,598
    When tragedy strikes, politics goes out the window and Americans rush to help other Americans in need. Hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, it doesn't matter who or where, we show up in numbers. And BTW, religion is one big reason why.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,194
    What does religion have to do with it?

7. task0778

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,598
    Helping your fellow man is a basic tenet of just about every religion, and was pretty much non-existent before religion came along. If you believe that altruism would be the same if religion did not exist that's fine by me, but I suspect you are in a distinct minority. And if you have to ask the question then you're not going to be satisfied with my answer or any other anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,107
    Texans are well behaved.

I have to give credit to the Baptist churches there.

9. BlackFlag

BlackFlag I haz hoisted it!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,906
    Probably better for a topic of another thread, but if I see someone in trouble, I'm going to help them. No religion necessary. If helping your fellow man is written into the many man-made religions, it's because it's a basic tenet of humanity. Not religion.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. task0778

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,598
    There's a related thread on this topic in the Religion forum if you want to discuss this further.