Worldss oldest newspaper prints final edition.

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

In 1768 it reported on a concert starring an “especially talented” 12-year-old. His name was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Only the nazis saw it shut down. Its very sad. Old newspapers are a treasure trove. You can spend entire afternoons lost in time and space.

In 1768 it reported on a concert starring an “especially talented” 12-year-old. His name was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Only the nazis saw it shut down. Its very sad. Old newspapers are a treasure trove. You can spend entire afternoons lost in time and space.

I love printed newspapers. I used to write for some. That said, I haven't bought one in years and even then it was just to do the crossword puzzle when I was in a hospital waiting area. The internet just rendered them obsolete.

I love printed newspapers. I used to write for some. That said, I haven't bought one in years and even then it was just to do the crossword puzzle when I was in a hospital waiting area. The internet just rendered them obsolete.
Same here. The decline of papers has been 20 years in coming. A few years ago I was a press officer for a local campaigning group. We had 2 local papers and I used to send them both te same press release. After a while I realised that they were just printing exactly what I was sending. They didnt have enough staff to follow it up.

When I sent the same stuff to the BBC they would always phone back before printing.. I have more faith in them than the local press.

Same here. The decline of papers has been 20 years in coming. A few years ago I was a press officer for a local campaigning group. We had 2 local papers and I used to send them both te same press release. After a while I realised that they were just printing exactly what I was sending. They didnt have enough staff to follow it up.

When I sent the same stuff to the BBC they would always phone back before printing.. I have more faith in them than the local press.

There seems to have been a big move away from reporters and photographers when the web starting cutting into profits and it has just been downhill ever since. Our local paper is paper thin, mostly ads and wire stories and their prices are out of control. Last I heard they are down to 1 part-time reporter/photographer. When they tried to get us to buy an ad run at work I just laughed. Their subscriptions have fallen from half of all households down to less than 10% of them

I wish I knew what happen to the book... lost in divorce I suppose.
Anyway... I had a thick oversized book of old front pages of the New York Times.
It was a awesome read.
Aha. That would be a great keepsake. A friend gifted me a copy of the NYT front page printed on the day of my birth. Still have it somewhere.

We still get the weekend print edition of the NYT. But yeah, increasingly, we read more online than in print.

There seems to have been a big move away from reporters and photographers when the web starting cutting into profits and it has just been downhill ever since. Our local paper is paper thin, mostly ads and wire stories and their prices are out of control. Last I heard they are down to 1 part-time reporter/photographer. When they tried to get us to buy an ad run at work I just laughed. Their subscriptions have fallen from half of all households down to less than 10% of them
Most of these local papers rely on local government institutions' announcements. That is pretty much the only ad revenue they can get.

Of course, this leads to abuse.

In most of the country, state and local laws require public announcements — about town meetings, elections, land sales and dozens of other routine occurrences — to be published in old-fashioned, print-and-ink newspapers, as well as online, so that citizens are aware of matters of public note. The payments for publishing these notices are among the steadiest sources of revenue left for local papers.

Sometimes, though, public officials revoke the contracts in an effort to punish their hometown newspapers for aggressive coverage of local politics.

Such retaliation is not new, but it appears to be occurring more frequently now, when terms like “fake news” have become part of the popular lexicon.

Old newspapers are a treasure trove. You can spend entire afternoons lost in time and space.
Sentimental clap trap . These very publications are now the Intelligence Agencies backbone for deliberate misinformation and propaganda. The Guardian is a blatant example of everything that is dishonest and corrupt in producing News and makes little attempt to disguise the fact that it is there to publish MI5 and MI6 agendas . The equivalent of NYT and WaPo in America . And fools like you cannot see it, or, refuse to see it, because Deep State always hijacks the left for its low IQ apologists and can buy your few brain cells with a few Communist type sops . And like Judas you will do anything for 30 pieces of silver.

Stop being truthful and people stop buying.

As old as time

We still get the weekend print edition of the NYT. But yeah, increasingly, we read more online than in print.

No, POPULAR publications have no problem selling print editions. When all you produce is propaganda, then people stop paying attention to you.

We are now seeing electronic only "publications" laying off people and closing down.

It ain't the readers, it's the dreck these propagandist morons insist on publishing.

Screw 'em.

Forum List

Back