Words of Wisdom from Military experience...

I get a daily email from these folks at quora.com... Some great pearls of wisdom, some bullshit... Have to separate the wheat from the chaff...

https://www.quora.com/What-habit-di...-you-still-keep-and-civilians-dont-understand

Lead from the front; until you need high speed, highly eager young warriors in front of you so you can do your best to keep them healthy from behind them.

Anything than has gone wrong can get worse.

A good night's sleep is had on your feet, leaning against a door frame. Anyone wants in, they have to wake you up to get through.

An M113 grill keeps you nice and warm on desert nights. Just apply sleeping bag and crawl inside.

Check your boots, sleeping bag and soft cap before wearing any one of them. Spiders and snakes don't bother us, Sergeant Majors kind words when we forget to . . . do.

Timing fuse burns at a rate of three feet per minute: it's okay to walk away. Det. cord does not. Don't try to outrun it.

Front toward enemy; sure, just watch out for the back blast.

Sometimes you look up after your chute opens and there's a reason for the gaping hole in it. For those times when there isn't, hand on chest, yank handle and feed out your reserve.

Last edited:
It depends on the Veteran and like it or not, most "military experience" is based on anecdotal and often flawed personal accounts relating to combat. It's like the proverbial blind man touching an elephant. You gotta be smart enough to understand that you aren't smart enough. You think you have it figured out because you were part of a rifle platoon and got shot at once or twice during your year in harms way and you wonder why they never promoted you to general.

Last edited:
It depends on the Veteran and like it or not, most "military experience" is based on anecdotal and often flawed personal accounts relating to combat. It's like the proverbial blind man touching an elephant. You gotta be smart enough to understand that you aren't smart enough. You think you have it figured out because you were part of a rifle platoon and got shot at once or twice during your year in harms way and you wonder why they never promoted you to general.

I often wonder why it took them 20 years to promote me to civilian.

I still judge my hydration level by the color of my pee.

I'm also super OCD about drinking water and staying hydrated to the point I lecture friends/family. When I joined they were very big on drilling in the importance of staying hydrated.

Forum List

Back