Woohoo!! GA Gov. vetoes religious liberty bill; Muslims must bake Mohammed cake; Gays must cater too

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Georgia governor to veto LGBT bill - CNN.com

Woohoo!!! Freedom won....err....didn't win. Fuck it...something won.

GA Governor vetoes the Religious Liberty bill which would've granted businesses the right to NOT do things that violate their religious beliefs. Ya I know....bigots.

SO....liberals....lets celebrate:

Muslim bakeries in Atlanta?? Yes. They will have to bake me a Mohammed cake now. With his pet pig too.
Gay bakeries in Savnnah....will have to cater my AIDS Appreciation Festival. Right??
Or...the local gay protestant church...will have to rent their banquet hall to me for my rainbow flag shredding competiton....complete with a contest to see who can toss a gay mannequin the farthest off the building!
If a mosque rents out its banquet hall....I'll be renting it for my 1st annual Mohammed Costume & Best Bacon and BBQ contest. And they'll have no choice but allow it.

Right libs? Is that how this thing works???

No. Surely this shit wouldn't force a private group to allow such disgraceful and insulting offenses against a person's beliefs. RIGHT??

He didn't have a lot of choice, economically, did he?

You see, a LOT of the people in this country think Christians have the right to live as they wish, but not to tell others how to live and to pass judgment on them. That's the line.

I'm a bit disappointed and relieved at the same time. Georgia needs the revenue, and it's pathetic to see big corporations use their monetary power to influence the political process (Psssst! Liberals! Isn't that something you hate?).

I remember when tolerance used to be a thing; when both sides were required to exercise it and just not one. But I guess that time has passed.

I agree I'm glad it didn't pass.

But I just wanna know what does it all mean now??

Must a Christian baker cater a gay wedding? Apparently YES.

So....if I ask a Muslim baker to cater my Mohammed costume contest and Bacon BBQ competition....do they have to do it?

If I go to a pro gay church that rents out its banquet room....can I force them to rent it to me for an AIDS Appreciation and Rainbow Flag Shredding convention???

What are the limits of offense a religious group must tolerate now?

Why would major corporations put pressure on the governor? Because their valuable employees are mostly sodomites and freakazoids? Nope, it's about the bigoted vindictive left wing and left wing media that would punish Americans to force them to toss their 1st Amendment rights in the garbage. Of course certain protected segments like jihadist Muslems would be exempt.

You see, a LOT of the people in this country think Christians have the right to live as they wish, but not to tell others how to live and to pass judgment on them. That's the line.

while I thought the bill was too broadly written, and the Governor was probably right to Veto it, your second line is basically condoning government force to ruin people over hurt feelings.

Why is it OK to address one person's butthurt over another, and more importantly, why should government be involved?

We are not talking about life or death transactions here.

But that isn't what is happening. Homofascists are forcing Christians (too scared to challenge the more draconian muslims) to acquiesce to and accommodate their homosexuality regardless of its conflict with Christians' religious beliefs.

But that isn't what is happening. Homofascists are forcing Christians (too scared to challenge the more draconian muslims) to acquiesce to and accommodate their homosexuality regardless of its conflict with Christians' religious beliefs.

'Homofascists'? They're ordering a cake from people that sell cakes.

If selling cakes conflicts with your religious beliefs, then you probably shouldn't sell cakes for a living. I'd give the same advice to the Buddhist considering working at the slaughter house.

If selling cakes conflicts with your religious beliefs, then you probably shouldn't sell cakes for a living. I'd give the same advice to the Buddhist considering working at the slaughter house.

Not exactly an appropriate comparison. It's not the selling of cakes, it's the selling of a cake for one particular purpose, which is a celebration of something said people find morally repugnant.

"Bake or else". It's a far cry from "Give me liberty or give me death".

They forced promotion of a behavior that conflicts with their religious beliefs. Your argument is extremely dishonest.

huh?

Not exactly an appropriate comparison. It's not the selling of cakes, it's the selling of a cake for one particular purpose, which is a celebration of something said people find morally repugnant.

Its a job where that scenario is predictable and foreseeable. If your religion prevents that, find a job that is compatible with your religion.

They don't reschedule the super bowl because working on Sundays was against Steve Young's religion.

I don't see why Christians insist that they should be immune from generally applicable laws if they disagree with them.

And why are conservative conceptions of 'liberty' so often tied to treating other people like pieces of shit?

well it doesn't mean it has to be made well or good. I'd make it using pigs blood. That will keep em out.

They forced promotion of a behavior that conflicts with their religious beliefs. Your argument is extremely dishonest.

They're 'forced' to follow the law....and treat customers the same regardless of their sexual orientation, race, religion, etc.. The same laws that everyone else follows. Laws that don't target Christians or anyone else.

This religiously based sovereign citizen nonsense where Christians should only have to follow laws that they agree with? isn't how our country operates nor should.

And is it only Christian dogma that trumps civil law? Or do place US civil law beneath Sharia law as well?

Its a job where that scenario is predictable and foreseeable. If your religion prevents that, find a job that is compatible with your religion.

They don't reschedule the super bowl because working on Sundays was against Steve Young's religion.

I don't see why Christians insist that they should be immune from generally applicable laws if they disagree with them.

And why are conservative conceptions of 'liberty' so often tied to treating other people like pieces of shit?

Why should a person with the talent and passion for baking, or photography, be forced to give it up just because they don't want to work for one particular type of customer, especially when it involves a non-necessary service that is easily obtainable elsewhere?

And if we continue with your logic, everyone who was in business before Gay Weddings became a legal thing should be grandfathered in so they don't have to comply.

It's not being immune, its about enforcing idiotic laws (or idiotic interpretation of laws) that limit one person's liberty at the expense of another's. Why is a gay persons hurt feelings over having to go to another baker greater than the baker's hurt feelings over having to bake a cake they don't want to bake?

So treating the bakers "like shit" is A-OK, because you disagree with them, right?

They likely started their career before homofascists forced fascist legislation so the potential conflict was not there initially. What's more, homos can find bakeries that will accommodate them. These were hardheads looking for trouble.
Liberty is not a one way street. You don't have a right to force me to do anything that doesn't involve me. Business is likewise a two way street. Supply and demand. You can't force a business to provide a good or service anymore than they can force you to purchase one. A business can't deny service based solely on the condition or religion of the customer. But they can't be forced to accommodate something that conflicts with their beliefs either. Your logic suggests that the bakery can force the homos to purchase an anti-homo-themed cake. You going to force a Catholic Church to preach Islam?

Why should a person with the talent and passion for baking, or photography, be forced to give it up just because they don't want to work for one particular type of customer, especially when it involves a non-necessary service that is easily obtainable elsewhere?

Because they can't act within the requirements of the law and treat their customers in a manner consistent with the minimum business practices required by their state.

And intra state commerce is undeniably within the authority of a State to regulate.

Again, being Christian doesn't make you immune to any law you disagree with. It never has.

They're 'forced' to follow the law....and treat customers the same regardless of their sexual orientation, race, religion, etc.. The same laws that everyone else follows. Laws that don't target Christians or anyone else.

This religiously based sovereign citizen nonsense where Christians should only have to follow laws that they agree with? isn't how our country operates nor should.

And is it only Christian dogma that trumps civil law? Or do place US civil law beneath Sharia law as well?
That's right. They have to treat the customers the same. And they can't be forced to bake a homo cake for heteros either.

That's right. They have to treat the customers the same. And they can't be forced to bake a homo cake for heteros either.

There's no such thing as 'homo cake'. Cake doesn't have a sexual orientation...as it doesn't have sex. Its inanimate.

There's just cake.

Forum List

Back