Wonder Why "They" Hate US? Could Be Europe

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.upi.com/inc/view.php?StoryID=20030412-013135-5601r

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    What an interesting read!

I think something else has to be factored in as well, though. Postwar European nations prospered and thrived in a freak, alternate reality - in which they had to expend neither blood nor treasure in their own defense. Once the Soviet threat evaporated, it became easy to feel that they had been above it all - to forget that the crude American gunslinger had, in fact, saved their asses. People thus divorced from reality are susceptible to foolishness in all its forms, as we are seeing. I'm beginning to wonder if we really did them any favors.

Charity without self-determination leaves the recipient contemptuous of the giver.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    All you wrote I agree with. It has left them with a feeling of superiority, which is not only undeserved, but also misplaced. It will be interesting to see where it all leads to.

4. Harmageddon

Harmageddon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :crutch:
    This piece is so full of crap I find it amusing I actually have to point it out.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this piece of propaganda actually proclaims that without Jews, we're history? Excuse me, but that seems to border on fascist proclamations of greatness. . . you may remember the "ubermensch" or Aryan that was raised to a divine status under Hitler - this reeks of the same insanity. Seriously, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, I don't care what distinction you will try to make, "there are things that make all of us the same. . . you, me, my brother Jake, everybody people, EVERYBODY!"

So I've gotten history completely wrong it seems. . . I never realized that Jews are the sole reason for European greatness in the old days. O man, what have we done? Please, will they not return and wash away my ignorance with their divine glory?

Yeah. Whatever.
    It's a mirror you're watching dude - that means what you see is actually yourself. Pretty disturbing huh?

Excuzes moi, but who's playing "we're the man" again?
    I believe it is America actually, that is trying to rule the world.
    Nevermind the fact it's not going to work, but rephrasing the whole mess in Iraq to some "European's think they are the greatest" is just plain idiocy.

I was expecting a more serious view on world affairs than this.

5. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    "Why they hate us..." has nothing to do with our cultural values. It has to do with our policies in the Middle East over the last 50+ years. The genius of Osama bin Laden, and others like him, lies in their ability to mobilize and radicalize their base. They do this rooted, not in a hatred of western culture, but rather a love of God. They have cast the invasion of Iraq, and before that the presence of US troops in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman and others as an attack on Islam. In addition, they see the regimes in the aforementioned countries as the apostate puppets of the west. According to the Qu'ran, it is thus the duty of Muslims to resist such percieved attacks by any means at their disposal. It is from this wellspring that we hear the cries for jihad.

For more than fifty years America, and other western powers, have propped up the regimes of the Gulf states in order to ensure the free flow of oil from the Persian Gulf. This has led to western support for oppressive and dictatorial regimes in the region, and helped to spark anti-western and anti-American sentiment throughout the region. Add to that the presence of foreign troops in such close proximity to many of Islam's holiest sites, and you have a recipe for unrest, insurgency and terrorism, all in the name of God.

The radical mullah's of Iran, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and elsewhere...The Osama bin Laden's and others of their ilk, may find some of our values to be offensive, but they are not the source of their hatred for America and the west. That source lies in the percieved attacks on Islam, and until the west, America in particular, understands this and moves to address these issues the terror wil continue unabated and with no end in sight.

6. Harmageddon

Harmageddon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My thoughts exactly.

7. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the haters are generally stuck in the 14th century, are irrational, and insane?

These dimwits have nothing but oil to offer the world and they have been lucky enough to have the West discover, drill for it, and buy it from their now ultra wealthy dumbasses after they stole it back from the people that found it in the first place.

Don't try to justify or even rationalize irrational behavior by idiots that worship a false God that promises them 72 virgins when they kill others and keep the women in their lives oppressed when they are here on earth.

They also screw little boys.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    American culture is rife with Judeo-Christian values. Where is their tolerance? If America responded with the same logic that the radical Islamists have, there would be no mosques nor muslims in America and we would have created a 1,000 mile buffer zone around Jeruselem with no scent of Islam allowed within it. The US has not propped up any Syrian government and look what a wonderful place that is. Iran could very well have been a Soviet satellite had it not been for US influence. You think they would have preferred soviet rule?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

How do we address those issues? Allow Iran to develop nukes? Is that a good idea? Give us one concrete suggestion to address your concerns and let's talk about it.

10. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    This is complete gibberish. Do you have anything comprehensible to say? Refute ANY ONE of my points. You can't.