Wonder Why Kids Are Dumber Now?

The decline of American education coincides with more children being home schooled.

The dumbing down of America

It also coincides with the rise of political correctness and the internet. You're not even trying here.
The internet makes kids smarter than any generation in history

They have a library in their pocket

They just don't know how to use it. Having a gold plated stethoscope doesn't make you a good doctor.

The decline of American education coincides with more children being home schooled.

It also coincides with the rise of political correctness and the internet. You're not even trying here.

They just don't know how to use it. Having a gold plated stethoscope doesn't make you a good doctor.
Most I have met are very adept at it.

K-12 education isn't going to make you "smart" by any high-level scholarly standard, in fact genetics may ultimately play a larger role in that than education alone.

The average IQ is 100; the average reading level is about 6th grade. (I'm in the top 1% in terms of linguistic ability, so I can attest to this).

If anything, K-12 education should concentrate more on practical or life skills; for example, the state and federal legal system should be a big component of education, given just how ignorant of the basics of the law many Americans are; there should also be a good amount of education in regards to conflict resolution, debating, negotiating, and other practical skills which are helpful in real life.

(This is where most of the super-rich make their money, from deals or negotiating with others, rather than from working for a salary).

If anything, historically there may have been less "formal" education (even given again how low a level K-12 or the bare minimums for colleges and universities actually is), and more emphasis on practical or work-related skills.

Most I have met are very adept at it.

To what effect though? We have the widest amount of knowledge readily available in the history of mankind, yet most kids have no idea how to write a coherent sentence.

Have you seen America’s biggest cities? Baltimore, Chicago, Boston , Camden, New York, St. Louis, Oakland, San Fran... how come democrats are clueless about current events?[/QUOTE]

Much less history...

They don't even have 20/20 hindsight.

Too many kids are getting home schooled

Dumbing down of America
Have you seen America’s biggest cities? Baltimore, Chicago, Boston , Camden, New York, St. Louis, Oakland, San Fran... how come democrats are clueless about current events?
Been to them all
They also contain some of the best schools in the country.

Good Parents make good schools
But the kids that go to the public schools are living in shite holes is that what you call a education in democrat world?
We have educated hundreds of millions of children
Processed through the system or brainwashed does not equate to educated, dummy.

Too many kids are getting home schooled

Dumbing down of America
Have you seen America’s biggest cities? Baltimore, Chicago, Boston , Camden, New York, St. Louis, Oakland, San Fran... how come democrats are clueless about current events?
Been to them all

But the kids that go to the public schools are living in shite holes is that what you call a education in democrat world?

Hundreds of millions have been educated in public schools

Doctors, lawyers, rocket scientists, Presidents

Been to them all

In Boston our school Valedictorians are great burger flippers at shack shack! Education is democrats new Jim Crow law

Been to them all

In Boston our school Valedictorians are great burger flippers at shack shack! Education is democrats new Jim Crow law

You failed because of YOU, loser.

You failed because of YOU, loser.
This is not substance substance is proving me wrong,, make something up idk but stop your trolling

When you have an area of the country, inner cities, where the public schools are abysmal or dysfunctional or not working and where most of the children have no way out, it is legitimate to ask what would happen to the public schools with increased competition from private schools. Is it not possible that giving poor kids a way out will force the public schools to improve and result in more people coming back?

I think schools are crumbling. Both literally than in a figurative sense.
I'm talking for my country but I think this is the same almost everywhere in the world.
Discipline is lacking.
Less discipline, less learning.
I don't think politics is 100% guilty here.
Maybe the whole world is getting more...ignorant who knows?
To find a key to this problem it must be really difficult.
(Maybe the Japanese have a good school systembut I've heard their schools are too "oppressive") :eusa_think:

Heres one of the dumb lil byatches setting the sound/notifications for my housekeepers mom(her granny). She's stunted from ingesting "third world" cuisine. She looks seven but she's really 22
techobaby.jpeg

tamales.jpg

There's no sense in talking about any of this until we talk about who's going to even be available to teach our children next year, in five years, in ten years. The truth is: as society is collapsing, we expected teachers to not only TEACH children, but to raise them too. Now everyone: liberals, conservatives and everyone in between, wants to crawl away from this truth as teachers decide they can no longer handle the pressures of both teaching AND raising children.

upload_2020-2-9_5-0-3.png

Kids are dumber today (in large city public schools) because the bad kids prevent the teacher and the good students from learning. The bad kids disrupt class, assault teachers and other students, vandalize, etc. They know that they cannot be suspended, for the previous president prohibited suspension "only" for defiance, saying that two certain ethnicities were being singled out for suspension!

Thank God for private schools, where bad actors can actually be kicked out!
Kids need to be held accountable and the chance for all to learn needs to be taken into account. However, I learned in teacher's preparation that we well meaning teachers do indeed, as human beings, tend to make unfair snap judgments when there is a disruption in class and it is always the class clown/trouble maker in the back row who we focus in on first. I've seen it proven. We have to be careful.

It is also possible that some of the black kids have a sucky attitude toward authority and that they do indeed run their mouths more and cause more trouble in a classroom, but let me tell you, white kids are just as good at that. That's as much a peer thing and a learned attitude as anything else.

It's never just one thing or another. Both and other alternatives are always at work.

Aesclepias insists that teachers need to earn a student's respect. It is always the teacher's fault if a student is disrespectful. There are students who disrupt in order to relieve boredom, to cover the fact that they don't know the answers, to gain attention from their friends.

Building a school culture of learning is difficult in a lot of communities where education is not particularly valued at home; sometimes parents not only don't care, they had bad experiences as kids themselves and are downright hostile toward schools.

One more thing: At nearly 65, I still learn something new every day. I'm not sure kids are dumber. They're just younger. There are a lot of things I know now that I didn't know when I was 17, I'm sure. A lot. Technology has changed those things that kids need to know. My students help me navigate Windows etc; they seem to be born knowing this shit. I'm basically lost. Show me the button to push, please, and stfu.

K-12 education isn't going to make you "smart" by any high-level scholarly standard, in fact genetics may ultimately play a larger role in that than education alone.

The average IQ is 100; the average reading level is about 6th grade. (I'm in the top 1% in terms of linguistic ability, so I can attest to this).

If anything, K-12 education should concentrate more on practical or life skills; for example, the state and federal legal system should be a big component of education, given just how ignorant of the basics of the law many Americans are; there should also be a good amount of education in regards to conflict resolution, debating, negotiating, and other practical skills which are helpful in real life.

(This is where most of the super-rich make their money, from deals or negotiating with others, rather than from working for a salary).

If anything, historically there may have been less "formal" education (even given again how low a level K-12 or the bare minimums for colleges and universities actually is), and more emphasis on practical or work-related skills.
I agree with you, but the problem is that the government has latched onto the fact that people who go on to post secondary education make more money. Everything the government focuses on now in education has to do with college prep. High schools are being forced to teach college prep to kids with a less than average IQ in order to keep their SAT scores high. Colleges never stop bitching that the kids coming to them are not prepared. That's because a lot of them don't belong there.

We need to go back to the track system of college prep for those who are academically inclined and trade/life skills for those who aren't able or just aren't interested. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with learning a trade or being a fisherman or a truck driver or a gardener. NOTHING. The government just needs to find a different way to make sure people earning an honest 40 hour per week job can pay their rent and buy groceries both.

As an Old Bastard, I often see the following phenomenon play out: Old Bastard's "smart" phone craps out...calls teenage grand-daughter to fix it...she fixes it in about 5 seconds...Old Bastard complains about how Young People Don't Know Anything Anymore!

Government thinking on Education: Statistics show that a college grade makes twice as much in a lifetime of earnings as a HS grad. Government makes getting a college degree EASIER...waters down courses, lowers entrance requirements, presents bullshit majors, etc.

Predictably, the value of a college degree goes into the toilet.

Government decision-makers wonder what happened.

There is a different between being intelligent and being smart.

You can be an excellent mathematician but on the other hand a poor dumb fellow like Einstein was. (He catalogued himself as a retarded adult once in an interview while explained how he came with his theory of relativity)

A student from a poor neighbor might not be good in mathematics but he can be even smarter than a student in a wealthy school area.

There are careers which require intelligence alone, other careers which require the employee to be smart, other careers which require talent, etc.

Ironically, the entertainment media is the one inciting young people to leave intelligence and to look for talent instead, as a way to promote themselves (This mean, the entertainment industry)

And example is the first chapter of the old TV series Diff'rent Strokes,

In this TV series a millionaire dude adopts two black orphans. When the boys were with him in their room, he told them that they will go to the best school, so they can learn "music... art..." (?!!!!)

Sure, right.

The script in that TV series can be taken as discriminating against those black boys characters. It promotes the idea those black boys going to that private school won't learn "mathematics" and find a better job than playing saxophone... or becoming TV actors... lol

Also, what I noticed is that the new generation is not becoming more dumb but simply "more distracted", something that is a complete diff'rent scenario.

Forum List

Back