woman will be outed in church for her sins

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Woman Says Church Threatening To Make Sins Public

POSTED: Monday, December 15, 2008

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A divorced Jacksonville woman said her former church has threatened to "go public with her sins" and tell the congregation about her sexual relationship with her new boyfriend.

Rebecca Hancock said harassment from Grace Community Church in Mandarin over her sex life caused her to leave, but she said that didn't put an end to the problem. She said she received a letter from the church's elders telling her the church plans to make her personal life very public.

"I'm basically run out. I'm the church harlot," Hancock said.

The 49-year-old said she has been dating a man for a while and she said members of the congregation at Grace Community Church haven't been happy about the relationship.

"Because I have a boyfriend that I'm involved with … to not be married to that person is a sin," Hancock said.

She said the issue caused her to leave the church. However, she said the church has not let go of her.

The letter Hancock received from the church states that because she has refused to end her sexual relationship with her boyfriend, "you leave us with no other choice but to carry out the commands of the Lord Jesus Christ" … "In accordance with Matthew 18:17 we intend to 'tell it to the church.'"

"On January 4, my sins will be told to the church, publicly, with my children sitting in the church and my friends," Hancock said.

The pastor of Grace Community Church, Dr. T. Scott Christmas, told Channel 4 he had no comment.

Pastors with whom Channel 4 spoke on Monday said announcing a sin to a congregation is not abnormal. They said it's written in the Bible to punish sinners who continue to sin.

The difference in Hancock's case is that she has left the church, and the pastors said that's is usually where punishment ends.

Despite the church's letter stating its biblical backing, Hancock said she has backed out of the church and they should leave her alone because she is no longer a member.

"I am a Christian, and that will never change. My relationship with Jesus has to do with me and Jesus, and he knows my heart," Hancock said.

The book of Matthew does have three steps that the church talked about in taking action against a member who is in sin.

Hancock said she is now attending a different church, and said she is planning to send a letter to Grace Community Church to make sure it's understood that she no longer a member

http://www.news4jax.com/news/18286355/detail.html

just tossing this out for comments and opinions

Last edited:
Sad. I don't think it's the church's job to pass judgement. I feel sorry for her.

Yawn. :eusa_whistle: Just another example of why I steer clear of Christianity – self-righteous judgmental busy-bodies.

I identify with Ray Stevens’ perspective in so many of his songs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFjLB4VYSU]YouTube - Mississippi Squrrel Revival - Ray Stevens[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ohvqwsNkk]YouTube - Would Jesus Wear a Rolex?[/ame]

Why is stating what she did judgmental?

The bible states that this act is a sin..the church did not right the bible.

She cheated on her husband...she admitted it...its a fact. What is wrong with that fact being stated by the church. Maybe it will encourage others to work on their marriage...maybe it will encourage others to get a divorce before jumping in the sack with someone else.

This does not make the church judgmental...all it does is show she is embarrassed about something she knows she did...that she knows it was wrong...and that she does not want to be called out in public for being the slut she is.

Sad. I don't think it's the church's job to pass judgement. I feel sorry for her.

Although, I am Christian, I don't believe it is morally wrong to have sex with someone that you are not married to as long as you are not committing adultery.

I think the church should have handled it differently. But I don't understand what you mean by it is not the church's job to pass judgement. Somethings are very clear, like the Ten Commandments.

Does this qualify as harassment? I don't know. Anyway the Matthew bit only refers to a brother who sins against you.

" 15"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."

Apparently God doesn't approve of the IRS but that's another thread I guess.

Does this qualify as harassment? I don't know. Anyway the Matthew bit only refers to a brother who sins against you.

" 15"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."Apparently God doesn't approve of the IRS but that's another thread I guess.

harsh....so harsh

But I don't understand what you mean by it is not the church's job to pass judgement. Somethings are very clear, like the Ten Commandments.

It's not up to the church to judge, it's up to God. Your sins are between you and God. The church can ask her not to come back, but even that would be wrong if you ask me. God is about forgiveness and compassion. The church should be striving to be more like God not more like humans.

Here's a little story, maybe it will change your mind.

At our church we had a guy that had been in prison for some bad things join us. When people found out they went crazy. Our pastor tried to explain that we should be welcoming, especially if we believe someone is a sinner, if they come to us. People eventually drove him away anyway and I thought that was very sad. You could see in his eyes that he was so sorry for his crimes and wanted forgiveness and people just wouldn't give it to him. I think if he's truly repentant that God will welcome him though and I hope to see him in heaven someday and maybe then he can smile again.

Forum List

Back