Wine country waste collection and landfill workers seek $300M

Thinker101

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2017
A group of waste collection and landfill workers in California's Napa Valley is seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation after they say they were exposed to toxic chemicals while cleaning up after the Glass wildfire in 2020 — and a former local mayor says his warnings to leaders like Gov. Gavin Newsom and Rep. Nancy Pelosi went unheeded for years.

And you wonder how California became such a shithole.

Wine country waste workers for Pelosi, Newsom Napa vineyards seek $300M over alleged toxic contamination

A group of waste collection and landfill workers in California's Napa Valley is seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation after they say they were exposed to toxic chemicals while cleaning up after the Glass wildfire in 2020 — and a former local mayor says his warnings to leaders like Gov. Gavin Newsom and Rep. Nancy Pelosi went unheeded for years.

And you wonder how California became such a shithole.

Wine country waste workers for Pelosi, Newsom Napa vineyards seek $300M over alleged toxic contamination

I am guessing if a wildfire burned through just about any trash dump in America, the people who put it out would be exposed to some shit.

I am guessing if a wildfire burned through just about any trash dump in America, the people who put it out would be exposed to some shit.
And if the city mayor had been warning the governor and senator for years, then what?

California sends more federal taxes than anyone, and gets back way less. What shithole you live in?
Seems to me it's the people that send in the federal taxes, and considering California has the highest income tax rate, California ought to get it's shit together.

Seems to me it's the people that send in the federal taxes, and considering California has the highest income tax rate, California ought to get it's shit together.
States don’t determine federal taxes dipshit.

And if the city mayor had been warning the governor and senator for years, then what?

Landfills give off lots of methane and such. It doesn't take years of warning. It is why a lot of places have started exporting their trash or sending it to incinerators. It has been common knowledge for at least a generation that trash dumps are bad. My city's decommissioned landfill gets constant air quality monitoring around it and pumps as much groundwater as they can out of it straight to wastewater treatment to mitigate and contain the ugh as it sits uphill from the river. They also actively keep trees or brush from growing on it and if you got out to it you see warning signs all over the place. Perhaps instead of whining for years for someone else to fix it, the former mayor should have been out there actually addressing the issue. I am guessing a lot of his trash is buried right there too.

Forum List

Back