Windows 8 Tips and Support

Discussion in 'Computers' started by alan1, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,523
    Whatever you say.

2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,231
    All you have to do to get to search is hit the Windows key and start typing.

3. Uncensored2008

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,523
    If you do, you get tossed into Metro.

Right click and search keeps you on the desktop. The amount of keystrokes is the same either way.

4. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,231
    What's wrong with Metro? I am over 50, and it took me almost 15 minutes to appreciate the added value of the Metro interface when I first got Windows 8. Now I can access the apps from the desktop, but I still prefer using Metro for most things that involve Windows apps, or even Windows itself.

5. Uncensored2008

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,523
    What's wrong with Metro? I'm running a computer, not a phone. When I launch Excel 2013 from Metro, what happens? Oh, it goes to the desktop and runs the useful program. What about Word, PowerPoint, Visio, or any other Windows program? Yep, right out to the desktop, because that's where programs live. Now if I want to run an iPhone type app, Metro is the place, but then that isn't what I have a computer for.

I find it amusing that when you hook up a second monitor to Windows 8, even when the primary is in Metro, the secondary will be at the desktop. Even MS knows that is where real work is done.

6. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,312
    Just ordered my new computer and I ordered Windows 8.1. I have had my existing computer so long, I don't know what OS I have, but I know what I read about Windows 8 scares me completely.

I'm not ready to take four months to learn how to use a computer to primarily post on this message board, shop a little and play some simple games. What am I in for?

7. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,087
    First, you get one of those yellow dummies books - Windows 8 for Dummies. It was invaluable at first but after a few days I never opened it. Then you learn to use the appearing and disappearing task bar when you hover the mouse along the right side of your monitor screen and which 'icon' on the start screen takes you to your desk top. The desk top looks and works just like every computer you've ever had and you can set your computer to open to that screen from a sleep. You learn that doing a search for information on your computer or the internet involves just starting typing anywhere on your start screen and voila....there it is.

On the start screen the icons you don't want are easily removed and ones you do want--stock market...weather...whatever--are easily placed there. However, you'll probably rarely go to the start screen--it is primarily designed for those using pads and enhanced readers etc.

I hated Win 8 from the beginning--and love it now. It is by far the most trouble free and stable windows system I have ever used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,434
    What I like about windows 8/8.1 is how easy it is to clean slate reinstall windows, compared to earlier windows builds; and refresh is nice as well.

I got a CyberPower PC last year, and none of the hardware and software was up to date. It reached a point where it jammed on trying to click the windows button. System restore wouldn't even create recovery points.

There was a windows reinstall disk with it fortunately, but the recovery disk can also be downloaded easily off the internet onto a USB drive.

Took about two hours, and I was able to install up to date drivers off the internet. Now it is working far better than when I first got it. Makes you wonder whether computer manufacturers even bother, and just wait for their computers to fail after a year. A lot of people would just give up and buy a new computer, thinking its stuffed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Bleipriester

Bleipriester Freedom!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,562
    The theme patcher that is included in the collection is an old experimental version and kind of buggy. Means, sometimes when the PC has started the selected theme is not applied and a restart is required in that case. A theme patcher replaces/modifies theme related Windows files that don´t allow 3rd party themes.

I recommend this new patcher that hasn´t made it to English languaged sites yet. Its a small 150 kb tool that supports all Windows Versions. Use "Manuelle Installation" to avoid the site´s installer being imposed on you:
    UltraUXThemePatcher - Download - CHIP

Found an English page, download from here:
    Homepage M. Hoefs - Software

You can also get a newer version of oldnewexplorer:
    OldNewExplorer - make your 8.1 explorer work like Win7 8 one - StartIsBack - MSFN Forum

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  10. gt1085

gt1085 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I use to use windows 8 but had all kinds of problem.My friend turned me on to windows 8.1 all problems solved.