Wind Turbines deadly turn

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Jewitt City, Connecticut
Some call these Clean, Green, Renewable, but I am afraid, they have taken a deadly turn a long time ago, to begin, they destroy the environment, from the thousands of acres they occupy to the views they dominate and destroy.

tehachapi-wind-turbines-p1.jpg

This is the story that is not told, the dark secret of the destruction of the earth, some call this beauty, art, I see the ugly, I see no life, and my reward is electric bills doubling, tripling. I see gas prices rise, again and again, I feel the burden and the foot of government on my throat when I buy a pound of hamburger for 5$.

Progress? Modern?

NO, endless bankruptcies and extreme taxes, complete destruction of any environment they touch, square miles destroyed, not acres.

I meant it literally, Wind Turbines deadly turn.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdJlAEanCU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdJlAEanCU[/ame]

Lethal wind turbine accident in the Netherlands - A Vestas turbine catches fire: two workers killed | EPAW - European Platform Against Windfarms

From our correspondent from The Netherlands: two wind turbine mechanics, respectively 19 and 21 years old, died because of the fire. One fell to his death and was found on the ground underneath the turbine, the other died from his burns and was found inside the charred remains of the turbine.

A surprinsingly large number of wind turbines are involved in accidents around the world. Most of them are blades falling off, turbines collapsing, or nacelles burning down to a skeleton (400 - 800 litres of burning oil are not easy to extinguish, especially as firemen rarely have ladders long enough for these >100-meter long contraptions). Some human deaths have been reported.

I am not sure if this video is of the same accident

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Chtr76jJyA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Chtr76jJyA[/ame]

Last edited:
600,000 dead bats

Study: 600,000 Bats Killed At Wind Farms In 2012 · EarthFix · Oregon Public Broadcasting

More than 600,000 bats may have been killed at wind farms in the continental U.S. last year. That’s a lot for these flying mammals, which are already suffering from a virulent disease and climate change.

At wind farms, bats are most often killed when they are struck by spinning turbine blades. They may sometimes die from a sudden change in air pressure, which harms their respiratory systems.

A recent study has found that more than 600,000 bats – possibly up to 900,000 – died at wind farms in 2012. The study will be published in the journal BioScience.

Study author Mark Hayes said those numbers could add up over the years.

“That additional mortality has the potential to substantially reduce populations,” Hayes said.

Why Wind Turbines Can Mean Death For Bats -- ScienceDaily

r-generating wind turbines have long been recognized as a potentially life-threatening hazard for birds. But at most wind facilities, bats actually die in much greater numbers. Now, researchers reporting in Current Biology, a Cell Press journal, on August 26th think they know why.

080825132107.jpg

Ninety percent of the bats they examined after death showed signs of internal hemorrhaging consistent with trauma from the sudden drop in air pressure (a condition known as barotrauma) at turbine blades. Only about half of the bats showed any evidence of direct contact with the blades.
"Because bats can detect objects with echolocation, they seldom collide with man-made structures," said Erin Baerwald of the University of Calgary in Canada. "An atmospheric-pressure drop at wind-turbine blades is an undetectable—and potentially unforeseeable—hazard for bats, thus partially explaining the large number of bat fatalities at these specific structures.

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't get the physics. If those blades were being driven by 1,000 HP motors, there would be a significant pressure drop behind them. But they're not. They're being driven by the motion of the fluid in which they are immersed. There will be no more drop in pressure than would exist, for instance, behind a tree trunk in a storm. And, since the blade is designed to turn the pressure differential it creates into motion - that dP is, in effect consumed - the pressure drop is actually much less. Do bats regularly die from flying too close to tree trunks on windy days?

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't get the physics. If those blades were being driven by 1,000 HP motors, there would be a significant pressure drop behind them. But they're not. They're being driven by the motion of the fluid in which they are immersed. There will be no more drop in pressure than would exist, for instance, behind a tree trunk in a storm. And, since the blade is designed to turn the pressure differential it creates into motion - that dP is, in effect consumed - the pressure drop is actually much less. Do bats regularly die from flying too close to tree trunks on windy days?

Hey Ocean Engineer.. Can you calculate the speed at the TIP of 25 meter blade if the CENTER is rotating at 20 rpm? Is that greater than or less than the speed of the air stream causing the motion? Where does the turbulence and acoustic energy from THAT motion dissipate?

Did ya miss the propeller design class??

Buildings, cables on the radio towers, and highways all kill orders of magnitudes more birds and bats than do windmills.

In the meantime, windmills produced over 25% of the electricity used in Iowa last year. And did double digit duty in three other states. And, here in Oregon, are giving the wheat farmers a steady reliable income. While not affecting their production of wheat at all.

Buildings, cables on the radio towers, and highways all kill orders of magnitudes more birds and bats than do windmills.

In the meantime, windmills produced over 25% of the electricity used in Iowa last year. And did double digit duty in three other states. And, here in Oregon, are giving the wheat farmers a steady reliable income. While not affecting their production of wheat at all.

The study that claims that had such a wide estimate (3 million to 60 million) that it is statistically not credible. In other words they pulled the numbers from out of their ass and hoped that silly people like olfraud would carry their water. Which he has happily done.

But let us assume that their lower number is accurate, hell I'll give them 20 million.... the fact remains that those are common birds. We in the geologic field referred to them as "LBJ's" (little brown jobs) much to the annoyance of our ornithologically inclined colleagues.

They are common the world over. Windmills though are spectacularly effective at killing RARE and endangered birds. It's like claiming that a Nissan Juke is the same as a Ferrari 458 Italia. The two are nowhere near the same when it comes to numbers available.

Fuck your "statistically not credible". The lower end still puts your argument in the shitter.

Fuck your "statistically not credible". The lower end still puts your argument in the shitter.

:lol::lol::lol: Getting hostile I see! Good. And no it doesn't silly person! How many LBJ's are out there? Hell, how many birds are out there? Well the estimate is 100 billion. 6 billion are here in North America.

How Many Birds Are There in the World? | Big Site of Amazing Facts

How many of those are endangered? Well in the USA there are 77 species of bird listed as endangered.

http://cmsdocs.s3.amazonaws.com/summarystats/2013_2_RL_Stats_Table5.pdf

So there you have 77 species that are being chopped up by your precious little POS's (almost exclusively BTW) the occasional eagle gets hit by a car but it is very rare. One in my area in 27 years. But the windmills are PROVEN raptor and bat killers.

Not your statistical hocus pocus BS either. PROVEN.

Besides --- its not about numbers.. Its about denial of habitat for territorial species.. Are the ecofrauds around here so eco stupid and hypocritical that they dont understand the important difference? A 15 mile radius of habitat denial, is a serious enviro impact...

Well you see, these bats, which can navigate a pitch black cavern dodging rock formation at the equivalent of a fighter jet navigating New York City traffic can not dodge these extremely high speed rotary things which cause air turbulence 1000 greater than wind going around a tree and when the ... awe shit, I give up trying to rationalize that one.

Maybe?

Thanks for the help,

Old Crock is right, the cables or high tension wires required to be built specifically for the Wind Turbine farms in Oregon and Wyoming to carry electricity to California will more than triple the deaths of raptors, eagles, hawks, and california condors, 100,000's of birds and wildlife must die in order to save the earth from man? Irony, the proposed solution, Green Energy is responsible for more deaths than the non-existent Global Warming.

Projects | Wyoming Infrastructure Authority

Interested Customers: From Denver to Salt Lake City, Phoenix to Las Vegas and on to Southern California, the West is replete with markets needing new sources of energy to keep up with growing customer demand. And whether it’s a desire for renewables or additions to baseload capacity, Wyoming offers the breadth of energy resources to meet the need.

Why Oregon imports power from fossil fuels and exports renewable energy » News » OPB

Why Oregon imports power from fossil fuels and exports renewable energy

Where is all that wind energy going? And what are we using instead?

According to Ken Dragoon, senior resource analyst with the Northwest Power and Conservation Council, 30 to 40 percent of that wind energy goes to California to meet renewable energy mandates down there. Meanwhile, nearly 40 percent of Oregon’s electricity consumption comes from coal-fired power plants – many of which are in Wyoming and Montana. About 15 percent of the state’s power comes from natural gas

So, under the rules and regulations and planning of the government in developing the Extremely Polluting Green Energy Heavy Industry, on top of the millions of tons of toxins the Green Energy is dumping in the atmosphere, our rivers and streams, they are selling the expensive green energy to California while everyone imports cheap electricity produced by Coal in Wyoming.

Can Wind Turbines turn any more deadly.

Thousands of miles of transmission lines and equipment Old Crock tells us will add to the death count attributed directly to Green Energy.

Wind Turbines, this is Heavy Industry, as in toxic, polluting, destructive. It an entirely new Industry we can attribute to Green Energy Politicians, Activists, as well as Heavy Industry.

transmission_lines_inontario.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

The brighter side of windmill economics.

OK, they do produce some electricity when the conditions are right and they aren't broken.

OK, they do kill thousands of birds.

Not OK, the birds are left to rot on the ground or are belatedly gathered up and hauled away to be burned or dumped, in any case wasted.

Solution:

You sign up for welfare you are given a gunny sack and a ride to the local wind farm.

You gather up the dead birds within minutes after they fall. You put them in the gunny sack and, once an hour, a truck comes around and picks them up.

The truck drives them to a kitchen where other welfare folks de-feather, eviscerate them and (depending on size and condition) toss them into a stew pot or trim them out for roasting.

They they all get to eat the bird(s)!

So many benefits. Folks get a job which teaches them new skills. The dead birds aren't wasted. The resultant food is better for people than all the junk most buy with their gubbmint debit cards. And then there's the exercise! On that alone we oughta be able to get Moochelle on the stump plumping to get this pumping!

Forum List

Back