Wimbledon 2016

Tilly

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2015
Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
Good luck, Marcus Willis! He's got no chance of course, but he seems like such a humorous and lovely guy. Hope he's at least not beaten too badly.

The fairytale of Wimbledon’s underdog Marcus Willis
HE CONSIDERED quitting tennis for good but his girlfriend convinced him to carry on, and today Marcus Willis will play the biggest match of his career.
By DOMINIC MIDGLEY
PUBLISHED: 12:27, Wed, Jun 29, 2016 | UPDATED: 13:10, Wed, Jun 29, 2016

willis-684481.jpg
REUTERS

Marcus Willis plays tennis giant Roger Federer today
Roger Federer is probably the greatest player the world of tennis has ever seen. In an 18-year career he has won 17 Grand Slam titles – including seven Wimbledon championships – accumulating prize money of £73million in the process.

His off-court earnings dwarf this total, with appearance fees and endorsements for blue-chip companies such as Rolex and Nike raking in about £40million every year.

Federer lives in a £6.5million glass-fronted, three-storey mansion with swimming pool and underground car park on the banks of Lake Geneva. Other properties include a Swiss ski lodge and an apartment in Dubai and Federer, 34, travels from tournament to tournament in his private jet.

RELATED ARTICLES
Marcus Willis, on the other hand, has yet to win a major tennis tournament and until this week his 2016 earnings from professional competitions amounted to just £227. Bowed down by credit-card debt, he finances his playing career via part-time coaching at Warwick Boat Club, which – despite its name – is as well known for its tennis as its rowing.

Not surprisingly perhaps, at the age of 25 he still lives with his mum and dad: Cathy, a primary school teacher and James, an accountant.

Today the men from these very different worlds will come together when Federer, the world’s number three, meets Willis, ranked 772, in the mother of all David and Goliath confrontations on Wimbledon’s Centre Court.

I am cheering for Willis. I enjoy rooting for the underdog and would love to see him upset Federer. I love Wimbledon!

I am cheering for Willis. I enjoy rooting for the underdog and would love to see him upset Federer. I love Wimbledon!
Me too. Federer is great, but I also like to see the underdog triumph. Willis was on the brink of throwing in the towel, but his girlfriend said just try one more time, and he made it to Wimbledon and won his first game! He's a happy charming guy who doesn't take himself too seriously, which is a breath of fresh air.

Federer wins in straight sets. But maybe we haven't seen the last of Willis.

FEDERER WINS 6-0, 6-3, 6-4 Willis has a half-chance at 15-30 after two uncharacteristic misses from Federer. But soon the natural order reasserts itself and Federer wins the next three points to come through in straight sets. The players hug at the net after a hugely enjoyable 85 minutes of tennis, and there are a few tears from Willis as he walks off. The 25-year-old Brit has belated realised that it might be a good idea not to squander his obvious talent: hopefully this isn’t the last we’ve seen of him at Wimbledon

Nice side story, but I'm paying more attention to the rise of Novak Djokovic who's dominating tennis like no other in the Open era! He won his 4th major in a row a few weeks ago in Paris with a chance to add 2 more this season to add a "Calendar Year Grand Slam" to his "Nole-Slam!" He already has the record in Masters' tournaments and reigns supreme in the H2H matchup with his closes rivals Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal! Checking the record-books, he rewriting it with just about every tournament he plays; actually surpassing the excellence of Bjorn Borg, winning a record 31 matches against the top 10 last season! He's playing even better this year and can see no reason why he doesn't add to his dominance! Anybody? :dunno: :clap2::rolleyes:

Nice side story, but I'm paying more attention to the rise of Novak Djokovic who's dominating tennis like no other in the Open era! He won his 4th major in a row a few weeks ago in Paris with a chance to add 2 more this season to add a "Calendar Year Grand Slam" to his "Nole-Slam!" He already has the record in Masters' tournaments and reigns supreme in the H2H matchup with his closes rivals Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal! Checking the record-books, he rewriting it with just about every tournament he plays; actually surpassing the excellence of Bjorn Borg, winning a record 31 matches against the top 10 last season! He's playing even better this year and can see no reason why he doesn't add to his dominance! Anybody? :dunno: :clap2::rolleyes:
Well, something incomprehensible is happening to him today - :dunno:

One of the matches that was suspended Friday was between three-time champion Novak Djokovic and San Querrey. Djokovic lost the first two sets of the third-round match, 7-6 (6), 6-1, before the final rain storm came.

———

8 p.m.

Novak Djokovic is in trouble at Wimbledon, losing the first two sets to Sam Querrey.

The three-time champion is trailing 7-6 (6), 6-1 in the third-round match on No. 1 Court. After the second set, play was suspended because of rain.

Djokovic, a two-time defending champion at the All England Club, has won four straight major titles and is halfway to a calendar-year Grand Slam...

The Latest: Play Suspended for the Day at Wimbledon

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Well,msomething incomprehensible is happening to him today - :dunno:

One of the matches that was suspended Friday was between three-time champion Novak Djokovic and San Querrey. Djokovic lost the first two sets of the third-round match, 7-6 (6), 6-1, before the final rain storm came.

———

8 p.m.

Novak Djokovic is in trouble at Wimbledon, losing the first two sets to Sam Querrey.

The three-time champion is trailing 7-6 (6), 6-1 in the third-round match on No. 1 Court. After the second set, play was suspended because of rain.

Djokovic, a two-time defending champion at the All England Club, has won four straight major titles and is halfway to a calendar-year Grand Slam...

He's my favorite player. I've got to support the Serbian in the tournament. lol

———

8 p.m.

I'm not ready to panic! All great champions have had to overcome something like this! He might be fine tomorrow and breeze right through! Querry not exactly a mental giant! What has he won of note? :banana:

Federers last Wimbledon and he gonna win against Murray in final.

5-7, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, 10-8. A record with Roger in four biggest torunament is it closer to 20 title or what another member says about Roger what's member know about Federers grand finale??

———

8 p.m.

I'm not ready to panic! All great champions have had to overcome something like this! He might be fine tomorrow and breeze right through! Querry not exactly a mental giant! What has he won of note? :banana:
I've never even heard of him. Going to have to look him up.

———

8 p.m.

I've never even heard of him. Going to have to look him up.

Believe it or not he's one of our top American players; sorta like Isner! He failed in DC against Britain's Ward IIRC a couple years ago! He has a solid enough game, but like most 2nd and 3rd tier players, they can't seem to finish off a top competitor! Nothing new; the same on the ladies' side, but the Williams sisters had a tussle today going 3 sets in both their matches! :9:

Last edited:
Roger Federer is probably the greatest player the world of tennis has ever seen.

My personly favous since Pete Sampras are old favorite maybe second best all times. Swiss best ever are my all time favous I really want now.

In an 18-year career he has won 17 Grand Slam titles – including seven Wimbledon championships –

Great stuff.

accumulating prize money of £73million in the process.

Very much money.

5-7, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, 10-8. A record with Roger in four biggest torunament is it closer to 20 title or what another member says about Roger what's member know about Federers grand finale??
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cheeky-smiley-018:

Serben Djokovic is out against an american. Real good for Roger.

Novak Djokovic is out, pretty shocking :eek-52:

I'm keeping up with the events, but as I told you the other week, I only start to watch whole matches at the Quarter Finals stage.

Novak Djokovic is out, pretty shocking :eek-52:

I'm keeping up with the events, but as I told you the other week, I only start to watch whole matches at the Quarter Finals stage.

It doesn't bother me! He won the FO; not greedy here! He wasn't playing that well and blew it challenging calls, lost them all, and didn't have them when needed in that 4th set! He can use the rest, get ready for the Olympics if he goes to Rio and fill the hole in his resume at Cincy Masters just before the USO! :banana: :beer:

Wow. Roger Federer's claw back to win from 2 sets down to Cilic was spectacular. Super kudos to Federer for keeping his cool as usual.

Less spectacularly, Murray beat Tsonga in a pretty scrappy and dissapointing match 7-6 (12/10) 6-1 3-6 4-6 6-1 after three hours and 53 minutes.

It's up to Federer to win in realite can every wins in 2016 of last four.

Forum List

Back