Will Artificial Intelligence Replace Your Family Doctor?

USAMomma

Jul 14, 2010
:doubt:

As a baby boomer entering the AARP and Medicare world, several thoughts come to mind and are of concern. Would it be better if I knew less about medicine, health care policies, need for cost containment, the abuse of self-referral, the potential that my own future health decisions might be made by individuals with limited medical education?

According to Money magazine, (March 2011 pages 98-106), the Association of American Medical Colleges has projected that in 2015 there will be 63,000 fewer physicians than it needs. Furthermore, an article in The Atlantic, "Artificial Intelligence Is the Next Killer App" referenced a statement by a Microsoft executive in a New York Times article speculating that future applications might include a "medical doctor in a box" that could help with basic medical issues.

Martin Ford told NPR's Linda Wertheimer "Radiologists basically focus on looking at visual images from medical devices -- things like X-Rays or CAT scans, that type of thing. Now, machines are getting much better at analyzing that type of visual information."

How concerned or thrilled should I be that the intelligence designated to my future health care decisions will be potentially limited or artificial?

Read the entire article here:
Helene Pavlov: Will Artificial Intelligence Replace Your Family Doctor?

From what I have heard from some people, Medical X-Rays are being sent overseas as well as medical records and reports and even tests.

Anyone know anything about this?

Now AI as a Medical Doc? I just am not so sure about this; although some of the doctors I have seen are rushed and/or seemingly uncaring and/or just plain stoopid so could be replaced...?

Fast forward to the year 2047 and I'm in my A.I. Doctors office:

Me: "Doc, I've had this pain in my side for about a week now, what do you think it is?"

A.I. Doc: "It's terminal. I'll prescribe pain pills for you. Next Patient please!"

Fast forward to the year 2047 and I'm in my A.I. Doctors office:

Me: "Doc, I've had this pain in my side for about a week now, what do you think it is?"

A.I. Doc: "It's terminal. I'll prescribe pain pills for you. Next Patient please!"

Hmmm, I would have thought it would be more like

"Take this pill and call me in the morning"?

Well, it would be future so likely just the pain pills and no need for any calls.

Forum List

Back