Will a Single Act of ISIS Stir the Pot

QuickHitCurepon

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2013
Earth
When they attack France, for example, at the train station or on a train, there is major panic.

What would happen here if there were a single terrorist act such as on a bus, which would be the softest target they could find. Nobody checks people getting on a bus. The operators of mass transit already have their hands full. I know very well, because I ride the bus a lot. If you give a bus driver even a dirty look, he will hound you until you get off.

All ISIS would have to do is buy a bug bomb at the store. Bug bombs are meant to kill bugs, of course. However, one set off on a bus would really cause major panic.

Obviously not an attack like 9-11, an outrage on mass transit intentionally committed by a terrorist would enrage everyone.

What would we do?

We are already attempting to fight ISIS on every front we discover.

We simply do not have enough military personnel to get any further than we are now getting. Thanks to Clinton, Gore and Obama. :eusa_whistle:

When push comes to shove, you know very well, our Commander in Chief will institute the draft, which is something that has not been done since Nixon. Obama has the moxy to do it. IMHO

I hope not.

My question is: What will you do when Obummer calls for a draft?

He doesn't have the time left in office.

And to the contrary, we are not fighting ISIS at every front. Had we been, they've have been destroyed 'way back.

When they attack France, for example, at the train station or on a train, there is major panic.

What would happen here if there were a single terrorist act such as on a bus, which would be the softest target they could find. Nobody checks people getting on a bus. The operators of mass transit already have their hands full. I know very well, because I ride the bus a lot. If you give a bus driver even a dirty look, he will hound you until you get off.

All ISIS would have to do is buy a bug bomb at the store. Bug bombs are meant to kill bugs, of course. However, one set off on a bus would really cause major panic.

Obviously not an attack like 9-11, an outrage on mass transit intentionally committed by a terrorist would enrage everyone.

What would we do?

We are already attempting to fight ISIS on every front we discover.

We simply do not have enough military personnel to get any further than we are now getting. Thanks to Clinton, Gore and Obama. :eusa_whistle:

When push comes to shove, you know very well, our Commander in Chief will institute the draft, which is something that has not been done since Nixon. Obama has the moxy to do it. IMHO

I hope not.

My question is: What will you do when Obummer calls for a draft?

A draft of beer?

Granny says, "Dat's right - kill `em all, let God sort `em out...
icon_grandma.gif

US, Europe Seen Staring at 'Sustained Vulnerability' to ISIS
September 27, 2016 - Every step the U.S. and its coalition partners take toward routing the Islamic State terror group in Iraq and Syria brings with it an ever-growing threat for a new wave of attacks in the West, the director of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation said Tuesday.
"The so-called caliphate will be crushed," James Comey told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. "The challenge will be that through the fingers of that crush are going to come hundreds and hundreds of very dangerous people." The testimony echoed similar warnings issued over the past several months by Comey and others about a looming "terror diaspora" in which foreign fighters who once flocked to the Islamic State's self-declared caliphate turn their wrath on their homelands. "They will not all die on the battlefield in Syria and Iraq," Comey said. "There will be a terrorist diaspora sometime in the next two to five years like we've never seen before."

Wrecking the caliphate

U.S. policymakers have long seen destroying the terror group's caliphate, and wrecking its aura of invincibility, as the key to reducing its potency as a terror group. Senior intelligence and counterterror officials believe that is still true, but the director of the National Counterterrorism Center cautioned that the strategy would take time and would lead to a period of "sustained vulnerability" for the U.S. and its allies. "The effects we're looking to see are simply going to be delayed or lag behind the physical progress on the battlefield," NCTC's Nicholas Rasmussen told the Senate committee. "It's not simply a matter of taking territory or winning a battle in a place like Mosul or al-Raqqa," he said. "That [IS external operations] infrastructure that was set into motion or put into place is going to have to be hunted down and destroyed systematically."

F8368455-584B-4F8C-8D93-2323AAC8C348_w250_r0_s.jpg

Iraqi security forces patrol as smoke rises from burning oil wells in Qayara, south of Mosul, Iraq​

U.S. intelligence officials estimate that more than 40,000 foreign fighters, including as many as 7,600 Westerners, have flocked to the conflict in Syria and Iraq, with a majority of them joining IS. "When ISIL is reduced to an insurgency and those killers flow out, they will try to come to Western Europe and try to come here to kill innocent people," Comey said, using an acronym for Islamic State. "We must prepare ourselves."

Lessons of 9/11

U.S. and European officials say efforts to coordinate intelligence are well under way, with a focus on helping European countries learn from the American experience in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. "Certainly, in the short term it's not going to be better," Dick Schoof, Dutch national coordinator for security and counterterrorism, told a U.S. audience in August. "We have an increased attention for people returning from Syria back to the Netherlands and also back to Europe." Just how many former IS fighters are likely to return to their countries of origin is not known. But of the estimated 18,000 to 25,000 fighters still in Iraq and Syria, Comey predicted "at least hundreds" would survive.

1CA0C7A5-06E7-44A8-978D-DD675B484EFC_w250_r0_s.jpg

With tanks in the background, youths set fire to barricades in Diyarbakir, Turkey, hours after Kurds protesting the Islamic State advance on Kobani, Syria, had clashed with police​

And both U.S. and European officials caution that some already have returned, either as part of terror cells or with the purpose of creating new ones. "The [terror] diaspora has already begun," said Republican Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. "They have to be destroyed," he added of Islamic State's forces. "We can't just nibble around the edges."

Continuing threat

See also:

Saudi Arabia Faces Increasing IS Threats at Home
September 24, 2016 - Saudi Arabia is fighting a growing threat from the Islamic State that is both breeding homegrown terrorists and using the kingdom's conservative religious teachings to undermine the monarchy.
Saudi security forces say they detained 17 people this week who belonged to three cells that had ties with IS. The government said the suspects were reportedly planning four major attacks on security and economic targets in the country, according to the state-run Saudi Press Agency. Hundreds of people with alleged ties to IS have been arrested since IS declared war on the kingdom in 2014. Saudi officials said IS-affiliated terror cells carried out several deadly shootings and bombings, many of them targeting security forces and Shi'ite mosques.

06AFA8E3-F690-4B46-9CFE-C260FFC24DBB_w250_r1_s.jpg

Religious flags, photographs and tributes to 21 victims of a suicide bombing, claimed by the Islamic State group, of a Shi'ite mosque are seen attached to their graves at a cemetery in Qudeeh, Saudi Arabia​

IS "presents a very serious threat, not just to Europe and the United States ... but inside of Saudi Arabia," John Brennan, the director of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, said recently. For Saudi Arabia, battling IS presents a double challenge. Besides undermining the kingdom through violence, IS also wants to undercut the belief system of the monarch known as Wahhabism.

Doctrine's birthplace

Saudi Arabia is the birthplace of Wahhabism, an austere Sunni doctrine credited with inspiring the radical ideology of IS. The Islamic State group accuses the Saudi monarchy of using Wahhabism to legitimize its rule, particularly with its custodianship of Mecca and Medina, Islam's holiest sites. Saudi groups linked to the conservative theology have been accused of sending funds to help IS expand abroad. "IS has two primary objectives in Saudi Arabia," said Abdullah Ghawdi, a journalist at the Saudi Okaz newspaper in Riyadh. "One is to undermine the Saudi security forces and the other one is to target religious scholars."

8AF0E4C8-76CA-4F45-AFB8-B6BA3A839899_w250_r0_s.jpg

Burned-out cars are seen as investigators collect evidence in the aftermath of a suicide bomb outside the Imam Hussein mosque in the port city of Dammam, Saudi Arabia​

In July, before the start of the pilgrimage season, IS-linked militants staged a suicide attack in Mecca and Medina, killing several security officers. IS has also been behind attacks on mosques belonging to the Shi'ite minority in the eastern part of the country. "Salafi jihadism was originated in Saudi Arabia," said F. Gregory Gause III, a professor of international affairs at Texas A&M University who monitors developments in the kingdom. "But the Saudi government says that the ideology [IS] has embraced is deviant."

5D68BA22-BECD-4F32-BFC5-29B578EF17E9_w250_r0_s.jpg

Saudi security forces check the damaged mosque inside a police compound after a suicide bombing attack in the city of Abha, provincial capital of Asir, Saudi Arabia​

IS's campaign against Saudi interests has increased as the kingdom has become more involved in the U.S.-led coalition fighting IS in Syria and Iraq. Saudi Arabia is a major hub for intelligence-gathering against IS. And IS also has become active in neighboring Yemen, claiming responsibility for killing dozens in August in a suicide bombing. Saudi Arabia and its allies have intervened with airstrikes and military power in the Yemen conflict in support of the exiled Yemeni government.

Directed from top command

Related:

Christians, Jews in Turkey Growing More Fearful of Islamic Extremism
September 25, 2016 - Threatened by Islamic extremism, Christian and Jewish groups in Turkey are growing more fearful amid increasing terror attacks and the government’s state of emergency following a failed coup attempt, representatives of the minority communities told VOA.
Christian and Jews represent about two-tenths of one percent of Turkey’s mostly Muslim population of 79 million. But pro-government media outlets as well as some government officials have accused them of playing a role in the July coup attempt and have stepped up the rhetoric against Christians and Jews.

275FA85E-F1C6-4A21-961B-A9FAF79E2075_w250_r1_s.jpg

An abandoned Jewish cemetery is pictured in Edirne, western Turkey​

At a “Democracy and Martyrs” rally in August, a pro-government, million-strong anti-coup demonstration in Istanbul, three of the speakers linked religious minorities to coup plotters, calling them “seeds of Byzantium, “crusaders,” and a “flock of infidels.” Christian and Jewish leaders, some of whom denounced the coup attempt, were in attendance at the rally in attempt to show solidarity with the government. Turkey has been in a state of emergency since the coup attempt and tens of thousands of Turks have been jailed for investigations.

Scapegoats

Turkish human rights lawyer Orhan Kemal Cengiz told VOA pro-government media have “embraced an alarming narrative of scapegoating Turkey’s religious minorities and connecting the coup plot to them.” “Particularly pro-government media outlets have taken an anti-U.S. and anti-EU attitude, which I can call a xenophobic attitude, in which they attempt to demonize the West and accuse it of the coup attempt,” he said. “And this narrative targets and harms non-Muslims in Turkey.”

Scholar Rifat Bali, who has written several books on Turkish Jews, says that even though the report of minority ties to the coup have no foundation, Christians and Jews are being targeted. “The nonsensical, so-called news reports that claim that some religious minorities in Turkey are behind the coup attempt are not surprising,” he said. “They are actually quite expected. In an environment where conspiracy theories are commonplace and prevalent, looking for foreigners behind everything becomes normal.”

Historic threats

Last edited:

And to the contrary, we are not fighting ISIS at every front. Had we been, they've have been destroyed 'way back.

Yes we are in one way or another. The CIA or CIA trained rebels are everywhere in ME. Then there are the drones that also go anywhere air surveillance wants them to. Can you name one city or SOME place in the ME where we are not fighting ISIS?

Obama has shown a capacity to make catastrophic changes to our society. People were happy and content with their health care plans, and Obummer blew it all away with Obamacare. Now health care insurance creates more headaches than it cures. Obama would not hesitate to institute the draft. Maybe, he has planned on doing it near the end of his presidency, so he can avoid all the flak that would come with such an act. And it would give him a much greater legacy (in his mind).

Yes we are in one way or another. The CIA or CIA trained rebels are everywhere in ME. Then there are the drones that also go anywhere air surveillance wants them to. Can you name one city or SOME place in the ME where we are not fighting ISIS?

No, we're not. Our response has been quite thin, and I believe intentionally so.

No, we're not. Our response has been quite thin, and I believe intentionally so.

It does NOT take much to blow people's worlds to hell, when they live in the desert in the greater regions of the ME. That is why the CIA is in TOTAL CONTROL. They supply both sides with what they need and watch the death fight ensue.

How would you like to live in the desert? Comfy Americans cannot understand what is going on with our neverending wars. Obviously.

It is ignorance like yours that keeps these wars going. :eusa_silenced:

It does NOT take much to blow people's worlds to hell, when they live in the desert in the greater regions of the ME. That is why the CIA is in TOTAL CONTROL. They supply both sides with what they need and watch the death fight ensue.

How would you like to live in the desert? Comfy Americans cannot understand what is going on with our neverending wars. Obviously.

It is ignorance like yours that keeps these wars going. :eusa_silenced:

How silly. The cause and effect of the matter is plain to see to anyone who looks. ISIS now has a larger footprint across Europe, and Muslim sympathies within Islam are inexorably swinging to the Islamist side.

Forum List

Back