Why Would The US Military Do This?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Many links at site on this troubling story:

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/2005/04/neonazis_plan_l.html

2. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,945
    What are even doing there? Just pull the hell out and leave the damn germans to themselves.

The more of this "we hate America" stuff I see overseas, the more isolationist my attitude gets.

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Grafenwoehr has had a large US military presence for a looooooooooong time. I know when we would deploy to Germany for training exercises, we always ended up there. Franky, we have an infrastructure already in place in Germany that we need, so I guess the US is just saying, "hey, we ain't backing down". Where would you suggest they move teh bases? To the US where they will be not 6 hours from the ME but 18 ?

4. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,945
    I know it's a large installation. I've been there myself during an Operational Rediness Inspection in the Air Force.

What REALLY HURTS these morons is when all the MONEY leaves with the soilders. They'd feel it and bad.

As far as distance, we can get anywhere on earth from right here in America, and rather quickly I might add.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    We are pulling a lot of our troops out, seems a better and better idea. Why would they sell property to a group that had this in mind?

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    How about Iraq, where we will be 0 hours from the middle east rather than 6?

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Less likely to be bombed in Germany (not much, but every little bit helps) and also, families can stay in Germany, but they would never be welcomed in Iraq.

Still to this day in Korea most tours are what are called "hardship" tours. That means you get stationed there for 12 to 18 months (some up to 24 months) and you can't have your family with you. If the people deployed to Iraq are "based" in Germany, then there families can be there....

8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    There are three major considerations on troop basings.

First: Is the base forward deployed in the direction of the threat? Germany met this requirement during the cold war. Does it meet the requirement now?

Second: Does the forward deployment steer the conflict away from the American mainland? Pretty harsh yeah? Fact though. Talk to pentagon types and they will tell you, pulling troops back to the borders will cause the opening rounds to be fired, you guessed it........ at the borders.

Third: Is the forward deployment in the best interest of our allies in the area? This is the most altruistic reason for forward basing of troops. It helps the economy of our friends while enhancing our security and it makes our friends feel good.

My area of expertise was asia and the me. Never did europe except as a pit stop on the way to africa (cess pit if there ever was one) so I cannot comment on whether that german base still meets the big three above in light of the new strategic reality.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The following was what I was referring too, not the base itself...