Why the Soda Tax May Drive Some to Drink

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Why the Soda Tax May Drive Some to Drink - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

Let them drink beer.

It does not have the je ne sais quoi of the infamous words that Marie Antoinette apparently never spoke (that is another story). But Nelson Eusebio says it is the message that Gov. David A. Paterson is sending with his proposed penny-an-ounce tax on soft drinks made with sugar.

Mr. Eusebio wears two hats, both firmly cocked against the soft-drink tax. He is the chairman of New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes, which describes itself as a coalition that opposes “unfair and misdirected beverage tax increases.” Its members include soft-drink bottling companies, vending machine trade groups and supermarket chains. He is also the executive director of the National Supermarket Association, which represents more than 400 supermarkets in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

While the governor is taking aim at obesity caused by sugary drinks, Mr. Eusebio worries that the proposed tax would slim down the beverage industry, which he said pays $6.7 billion in wages statewide and generates billions more for the economy.

But he also mentioned some far smaller numbers that startled a soft-drink drinker.

“A six-pack of soda is going to cost you approximately $4.99” if the penny-an-ounce tax goes through, Mr. Eusebio said, “where you can pick up beer from $2.99 to $3.99.”

Off to the neighborhood supermarket, where it turned out that Mr. Eusebio’s math was not far off. With the tax, a six-pack of Coca-Cola or Pepsi would cost 2 cents more than a six-pack of the cheapest beer in the store.

Well, as the saying goes, drink up.

Thoughts USMB?

Called Tonic in at least one area.

But anyway it is pop, not good for ya and we are better off without it.
Kinda the same logic as with cigarettes. Plus as with cigaretes the sin taxes generate money.

I told yall years ago that as the number of smokers dropped the taxes would go us as the state would see the tax revenue drop as a loss and try and make it up.

If smokiing fully ceases then the revenue loss will have to be made up in some other tax or tax increase.
Just the way gummits seem to work.

I think people can make up their own mind whether they want to drink soda or not. I dont think the Government should be pretending to care about the people simply to gouge them out of more money.

We tax the hell out of cigarettes, and the state controls the liqour. How do you think we have state health care.

In some place here it is $70 a carton, and are medicaid system is going bankrupt. Which is why they have bill in the house right now, to legalize marijuana and sell it in the liquor stores.

In some place here it is $70 a carton, and are medicaid system is going bankrupt. Which is why they have bill in the house right now, to legalize marijuana and sell it in the liquor stores.

Sort of ironic that Marijuana will become legalized not due to the advocates but because the Governments want to make more $$$ off it. All the pot smokers are going to be like, "fuck it, I want it illegal again" after they get through with it. :lol:

But least you can't go to jail for it anymore. Though I wonder if that means anyone serving a jail sentence due to Marijuana possession would be let out of prison. :eusa_think:

I don't smoke but I remember it being at least $70 here, if not $90. Though I'm told Delaware has them for like $30 a carton.

Last edited:
I hate sin taxes, in fact I'm going to go with what Dick Armey said

"There's only one legitimate reason to levy a tax and that's to raise money. Anything else you try to achieve with the tax code is corruption."

I hate sin taxes, in fact I'm going to go with what Dick Armey said

"There's only one legitimate reason to levy a tax and that's to raise money. Anything else you try to achieve with the tax code is corruption."

And you know things must be fucked up if you have to quote Dick Armey. :lol:

Sort of ironic that Marijuana will become legalized not due to the advocates but because the Governments want to make more $$$ off it. All the pot smokers are going to be like, "fuck it, I want it illegal again" after they get through with it. :lol:

But least you can't go to jail for it anymore. Though I wonder if that means anyone serving a jail sentence due to Marijuana possession would be let out of prison. :eusa_think:

I don't smoke but I remember it being at least $70 here, if not $90. Though I'm told Delaware has them for like $30 a carton.

I still think the prices will be lowered if pot becomes legal. And I think it would be great if non violent marijuana offenders were released.

If pot were legalized and taxed we would still put people in prison over pot.
We would have potshiners/potleggers. People who produce and or sell pot without paying the taxes or having the growing permits.

Let them drink beer.

It does not have the je ne sais quoi of the infamous words that Marie Antoinette apparently never spoke (that is another story). But Nelson Eusebio says it is the message that Gov. David A. Paterson is sending with his proposed penny-an-ounce tax on soft drinks made with sugar.

Mr. Eusebio wears two hats, both firmly cocked against the soft-drink tax. He is the chairman of New Yorkers Against Unfair Taxes, which describes itself as a coalition that opposes “unfair and misdirected beverage tax increases.” Its members include soft-drink bottling companies, vending machine trade groups and supermarket chains. He is also the executive director of the National Supermarket Association, which represents more than 400 supermarkets in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

While the governor is taking aim at obesity caused by sugary drinks, Mr. Eusebio worries that the proposed tax would slim down the beverage industry, which he said pays $6.7 billion in wages statewide and generates billions more for the economy.

But he also mentioned some far smaller numbers that startled a soft-drink drinker.

“A six-pack of soda is going to cost you approximately $4.99” if the penny-an-ounce tax goes through, Mr. Eusebio said, “where you can pick up beer from $2.99 to $3.99.”

Off to the neighborhood supermarket, where it turned out that Mr. Eusebio’s math was not far off. With the tax, a six-pack of Coca-Cola or Pepsi would cost 2 cents more than a six-pack of the cheapest beer in the store.

Thoughts USMB?

As a smoker who has been unfairly taxed for years, I welcome this new tax. I also welcome new taxes on other things deemed "unhealthy" such as fast food and potato chips. These new taxes cannot get here fast enough as far as I am concerned. Obama wants to spread the wealth....fine. Spread some pain as well!

Let them drink beer.

Thoughts USMB?

As a smoker who has been unfairly taxed for years, I welcome this new tax. I also welcome new taxes on other things deemed "unhealthy" such as fast food and potato chips. These new taxes cannot get here fast enough as far as I am concerned. Obama wants to spread the wealth....fine. Spread some pain as well!

No pain no gain.

Let them drink beer.

Thoughts USMB?

I think that we currently spend 1/3 of all HC dollars ($17 trillion dollars per year )treating people with diabetes, and the number of Americans with adult onset diabetes is rising as the age of adult onset diabetes is getting lower and lower.

I cannot help but think that the fact that SODA is the number one beverage we drink a primary cause of that trend.

We ought to be taxing the ever loving shit out of soda.

Last edited:
With obesity being an ever-growing problem, (pun intended) why stop at soda? As others have suggested we probably should be taxing fast food too. But wait! You usually eat far more calories and fat at a sit down restaurant like TGIFridays or Applebees....better tax sit down restaurants as well. Come on...lets keep going...I bet we can figure out a way to tax absolutely EVERYTHING if we try! Yay!

Forum List

Back