why the cdc was stopped from attacking gun ownership....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Here is a piece by one of the people who testified against allowing the CDC to attack gun ownership with shoddy research and propaganda disguised as research....

Why Congress stopped gun control activism at the CDC

I was one of three medical doctors who testified before the House’s Labor, Health, Human Services, and Education Appropriations Subcommittee on March 6, 1996 about the CDC’s misdeeds. (Note: This testimony and related events are described in my three-part documented historical series). Here is what we showed the committee:

• Dr. Arthur Kellermann’s1993 New England Journal of Medicine article that launched his career as a rock star gun control advocate and gave rise to the much-repeated “three times” fallacy. His research was supported by two CDC grants.
Kellermann and his colleagues used the case control method, traditionally an epidemiology research tool, to claim that having a gun in the home triples the risk of becoming a homicide victim. In the article Kellermann admitted that “a majority of the homicides (50.9 percent) occurred in the context of a quarrel or a romantic triangle.” Still another 30 percent “were related to drug dealing” or “occurred during the commission of another felony, such as a robbery, rape, or burglary.”

In summary, the CDC funded a flawed study of crime-prone inner city residents who had been murdered in their homes. The authors then tried to equate this wildly unrepresentative group with typical American gun owners. The committee members were not amused.

• The Winter 1993 CDC official publication, Public Health Policy for Preventing Violence, coauthored by CDC official Dr. Mark Rosenberg. This taxpayer-funded gun control polemic offered two strategies for preventing firearm injuries—“restrictive licensing (for example, only police, military, guards, and so on)” and “prohibit gun ownership.”
  • The brazen public comments of top CDC officials, made at a time when gun prohibitionists were much more candid about their political goals.
We’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths. We’re doing the most we can do, given the political realities.” (P.W. O’Carroll, Acting Section Head of Division of Injury Control, CDC, quoted in Marsha F. Goldsmith, “Epidemiologists Aim at New Target: Health Risk of Handgun Proliferation,” Journal of the American Medical Association vol. 261 no. 5, February 3, 1989, pp. 675-76.) Dr. O’Carroll later said he had been misquoted.

But his successor Dr. Mark Rosenberg was quoted in the Washington Post as wanting his agency to create a public perception of firearms as “dirty, deadly—and banned.” (William Raspberry, “Sick People With Guns,” Washington Post, October 19, 1994.

• CDC Grant #R49/CCR903697-06 to the Trauma Foundation, a San Francisco gun control advocacy group, supporting a newsletter that frankly advocated gun control.

Last edited:
Here is the link to the 3 part history of how gun control activists have used health care advocacy to propagandize against gun ownership......

http://drgo.us/?p=1134

I know you don't want Kellerman to be real... but how about doing an ACTUAL gun study and record every gun death.

Every suicide. (19500)
Every accident (800)
Every murder (11,000)
Every justifiable homicide (200).

Yeah, Kellerman probably had it about right.

I know you don't want Kellerman to be real... but how about doing an ACTUAL gun study and record every gun death.

Every suicide. (19500)
Every accident (800)
Every murder (11,000)
Every justifiable homicide (200).

Yeah, Kellerman probably had it about right.

suicide....Japan, Soth Korea, and China all have 2x the suicide rates and zero access to guns and in the United States we have 19,000 people who commit suicide without a gun....

accidental gun deaths in 2013 from the CDC....505....with over 320 million guns in private hands and over 13 million people carrying guns....and the accidental death rate is going down, not up...

Gun murders according to the FBI table 8....8,124, the majority of which are violent career criminals murdering other career criminals, with illegally possessed guns. and this rate is going down, not up.

and with over 320 million guns in private hands, and 13 million people carrying guns each year there are 1.5 million defensive gun uses according to a study commissioned by Bill Clinton through his department of justice....

And in those uses...criminals are only dumb enough to press their attack about 260 times where they have to be shot and killed....since normal gun owners do not want to shoot anyone...

Here is the link to the 3 part history of how gun control activists have used health care advocacy to propagandize against gun ownership......

You mean 33,000 deaths and 70,000 injuries aren't a major health concern?

We ban products for a lot less.

"but, but, b ut... Founding Slave Rapists!!!!"

images

Yeah sure and while we're banning guns as a health hazard we can also ban cars, knives, baseball bats, swimming pools, and even taking a bath, as public health hazards.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

upload_2015-12-1_22-11-13.jpeg

I forgot that one. Going to the hospital could be considered a major health hazard under the problematic fallacy the CDC would use for guns also... We probably should ban playgrounds since kids get hurt on them all the time... Restaurants have a high incidence of choking hazards... Being Muslim has a high incidence of blowing up because of the types of vests they wear so we should do away with the religion of Islam... Oh! Did I forget to mention that everyone alive tends to end up dead so life itself should be considered a health hazard that we need to do away with..... That last one should keep the CDC in business collecting grants from taxes for a cure forever.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Know what we should ban....eating.....my god how many people choke to death

The friend of my sister in law...her husband died choking on a piece of steak...at the reception on their wedding day.......5 different men tried to do the heimlich technique and failed...by the time the paramedics arrived he was dead.....

Should we ban weddings, receptions or marriage...?

Yeah sure and while we're banning guns as a health hazard we can also ban cars, knives, baseball bats, swimming pools, and even taking a bath, as public health hazards.

None of those things are designed to kill people. Guns are. Therefore, they require extra scrutiny.

Oh, yeah, and not every post needs a video attached to it that no one is going to play. just saying.

The friend of my sister in law...her husband died choking on a piece of steak...at the reception on their wedding day.......5 different men tried to do the heimlich technique and failed...by the time the paramedics arrived he was dead.....

Hey, here's the thing, the people who catered that wedding had to be licensed by the state to prepare and serve food. That steak had to be inspected before it was sold to eat.

But it's hilarious to watch you flail at "anything else that might cause death" when someone questions why you need a mini-death machine to compensate for your "shortcomings".

None of those things are designed to kill people. Guns are. Therefore, they require extra scrutiny.

Oh, yeah, and not every post needs a video attached to it that no one is going to play. just saying.

th

There's no reason to limit yourself when scrutinizing items that are designed to kill. Knives, swords, bats, and cudgels, were designed to kill people and many of which are still in use today. The war horse was simply replaced by the automobile. Swimming pools and such are offshoots of the castle moat. While euthanasia has happened for ages in hospitals. The suicide vest is only designed to kill and Muslims generally seem to be inside them prior to detonation. While life itself always ends in death. Shall I go on or isn't your moral relativism up to the task when attempting to justify something?

*****CHUCKLE*****

PS: If you don't like the way my posts are set up you're free to put me on ignore.

Last edited:

Hey, here's the thing, the people who catered that wedding had to be licensed by the state to prepare and serve food. That steak had to be inspected before it was sold to eat.

But it's hilarious to watch you flail at "anything else that might cause death" when someone questions why you need a mini-death machine to compensate for your "shortcomings".

And gun makers and sellers are some of the most regulated people in the country…one company, Springfield Arms, was notified that one pistol may…may have had a problem when the slide was released…..and they recalled all the guns…every last one…on the off chance it was a real problem…

So they do monitor themselves, and they are more regulated than food companies……...

th

While I'm at it I'd also like to point out that an awful lot of mass shootings in the United States seem to happen in 'gun free zones' so perhaps those 'gun free zones' should be under investigation for possible health hazards to the public by the CDC too.

*****CHUCKLE*****

There's no reason to limit yourself when scrutinizing items that are designed to kill. Knives, swords, bats, and cudgels, were designed to kill people and many of which are still in use today. The war horse was simply replaced by the automobile. Swimming pools and such are offshoots of the castle moat. While euthanasia has happened for ages in hospitals. The suicide vest is only designed to kill and Muslims generally seem to be inside them prior to detonation. While life itself always ends in death. Shall I go on or isn't your moral relativism up to the task when attempting to justify something?

Don't worry, you are on ignore for wasting my time with bullshit.

And gun makers and sellers are some of the most regulated people in the country…one company, Springfield Arms, was notified that one pistol may…may have had a problem when the slide was released…..and they recalled all the guns…every last one…on the off chance it was a real problem…

So they do monitor themselves, and they are more regulated than food companies……...

They should be equally held to account for their marketing as their manufacturing.

You sell to a mass shooter, you go to prison. Done deal.

Don't worry, you are on ignore for wasting my time with bullshit.

th

Good! Because I feel the same way about your BS but now I can reply to something you say without having to listen to a pathetically lame response.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:beer:

Forum List

Back