Why should the president care about the debt?

The media was freaking out over it when Bush was Pres, but now that we have a (D)-bag Prez, its A-OK to triple it, as we never hear a peep about it now from the media.

Call for a balanced budget amendment. It's really the only way to protect future generations. Of course with a growing economy a certain amount of deficit spending is acceptable, or in times of national emergency. But to run super high deficits year after year seems to me insane. The money we spend servicing the debt should be in the economy not some investors pocket. Less taxes for you and me.

$2B/wk in Afghanistan since late 2001.

Two billion dollars per week. For over ten years. To win a war that the CIA created to never end.

$2B/wk in Afghanistan since late 2001.

Two billion dollars per week. For over ten years. To win a war that the CIA created to never end.

Nearly 1.05 trillion dollars for what? Flushed down the crapper! We could of put hundreds of kepler telescopes up for that! or funded fusion or cured cancer.

2 billion per week x 52 weeks in year = 104 billion/year x 10 years = 1.04 trillion.

Flushed down the shitter. The shit news is this was only one war! Iraq costed more.

Please don't fucking talk to me about debt. Really, don't threaten nasa or science with your bull shit!

Agreed. You don't know the difference between the debt and deficit so there's no point.

Presidents are supposed to make tough decisions based on what is good for the country, not what polls well or gets people elected. It doesnt always work out that way. Bush pursued the surge strategy in Iraq despite intense opposition and everyone telling him it was going to fail. It didnt. In contrast Obama pursued a surge strategy in Afghanistan despite everyone telling him it would fail. And it did.
Anyway, high levels of debt are bad for a country, esp one with a stagnating economy as we have. It creates uncertainty about future taxes and inflation and destroys prosperity. The president is supposed to care about stuff like this. Naturally this one doesn't.

It's always the next guy that will have to pay it off?

Hell if a republican happens to get elected President, he can run up the debt and not only leave it for the next person to deal with, they won't even get blamed for running up the debt.

When a Republican is President and the debt increased, it's like it never happened.

It's really cool how it works. Dems Pres. debt bad bad, Repub Pres., what debt?

Before Obama is done, our national debt could exceed $20 TRILLION. Is this a problem?

Some believe it to be terrible problem and others do not.

I suspect that much of the political class (both Rs and Ds) and the power elite, do not see this as a problem. They merely have the Fed print more fiat currency.

Money really does grow on trees....at least for awhile. When the dollar crashes and is no longer the world's reserve currency, the pols and elites will be fine, but the rest of us will be screwed.

It's always the next guy that will have to pay it off?

The debt really has gotten out of control and is currently 100% of GDP. That's fine for Japan but not for the US. I can explain why if someone doesn't know. If the economy were actually doing well, the ratio would drop which is what I believe most investors are looking at because our Treasury bonds are still selling.

It is amazing, however, how the media bitched about the debt when the debt to GDP ratio was around 60% but say nothing about it being 100% at this time.

Personally I want our debt lowered but I think we're past the point of no return because most of the budget cannot be touched. SS and Medicare take up a huge amount of the federal budget and nothing we do can stop it. Military spending is being attacked, even though the military is actually something the federal government SHOULD be funding instead of the multitude of programs that should be funded at the state level.

Debt does not matter

What matters is low taxes and plenty of free stuff

Forum List

Back