Why should immigrants in America learn english?

dilloduck said:
I try--others here do too. I think we need to act more but lack the leadership to organize anything. We get caught up in silly ass details and forget what our country is supposed to be all about.
Washington was right; parties are bad for the country. Both of them. Like I said, I've got two years left in the country before heading off to parts unknown for a while. Maybe some leader will emerge by then.

Washington was right; parties are bad for the country. Both of them. Like I said, I've got two years left in the country before heading off to parts unknown for a while. Maybe some leader will emerge by then.

I'm not sure one would even be allowed to before he got a bullet between the eyes but we can hope !

Hobbit said:
1. A multilingual society harms the economy. Look at the intruction manuals in internationally distributed products. They cost 5+ as many times to make, since they are printing in at least 5 languages (English, French, Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish). Now think about how much money we waste every year making sure those criminal dolts among us can understand what's printed and said. There's interpereters, extra paper, extra ink, and then the ridiculous amount of time confused Americans spend trying to puzzle through transactions with invading Mexicans.
We need to make English the official language so manufacturers don't have to print instruction manuals in multiple languages? Unless someone forget to tell me, don't they do that on their own? Regardless of whether or not English is the official language we're still going to have a lot of people who either don't speak English, don't speak English very well, or speak English but are illiterate. Manufacturers are still going to print their manuels in multiple languages in order to reach these people. It just makes economic sense.

dilloduck said:
I'm not sure one would even be allowed to before he got a bullet between the eyes but we can hope !
Probably. Too many people benefit too much from the status quo. Then again, you can kill the man, but doing so immortalizes his spirit and ideas. At least it did for JFK and Lincoln.

If there is no nessisty for them to learn english then who are we to oppose that on them. what difference does it make to you, if Juan is only speaking spanish, it in no way shape or form affects your life.

Impose.

Yes it does affect my life. It encourages people to remain in their little enclaves and putting more emphasis on their native language and culture, rather than adopting the language and culture of their adopted country. If they want to only speak French and only practice French culture, then they should remain in France where everyone is like them. If I choose to move to another country I must have determined that their way of life is better than what I currently have. Therefore, I need to adapt to their way of life, because if I come in and impose my way of life on them, then I will alter what it was that drew me there in the first place.

I just believe that not learning English and adapting encourages too much isolation that is not good for the United States as a whole. If it's too much of an imposition then stay where you are and don't impose your language on me.

The Constitution specifically mentions providing for the common defense and promoting the general welfare. It also gives the federal government the power to regulate all matters concerning interstate commerce. That being said, here's a bunch of reasons to enforce English as the official language of the United States of America and require that any and all immigrants learn at least the basics before entry.

1. A multilingual society harms the economy. Look at the intruction manuals in internationally distributed products. They cost 5+ as many times to make, since they are printing in at least 5 languages (English, French, Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish). Now think about how much money we waste every year making sure those criminal dolts among us can understand what's printed and said. There's interpereters, extra paper, extra ink, and then the ridiculous amount of time confused Americans spend trying to puzzle through transactions with invading Mexicans.

2. A multicultural society leaves us open to attack from within. One of the things any new citizen must do is swear off any allegiences to the old country. How can we begin to think they're for real if they won't even learn our language. You can't show loyalty to someone with whom you cannot speak. You see all this stuff about Aztlan? If it came to blows, which it may, who do you think the Spanish only crowd will side with, the side of the Anglos they can't communicate with or the side of 'their own' people.

3. America cannot stand divided. Even if all of these communities from other countries were loyal to us, America cannot live with itself when it's not united with itself. My hometown has a large chunk of it owned solely by Mexicans. As far as I'm concerned, it's not even there. Nobody there speaks English. Nothing is printed in English. It's also more ridden with crime than any other area of the town, mostly against the white people who foolheartedly or mistakenly wandered in there and made the mistake of getting out of their cars.

This country must be one, united whole, not a series of disparate communities with nothing in common other than the political and geographical borders they live between.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hobbit again.

So you are going off and waiting for the rest of us to determine who a good leader is, vote them into power, and then you'll come back and live off the fruits of our labor and commitment.

Not sure I'd welcome you back.

You want this to be a better place......then do something other than complain about how bad things are. Get out there and pick something you can do well and make a difference.

We need to make English the official language so manufacturers don't have to print instruction manuals in multiple languages? Unless someone forget to tell me, don't they do that on their own? Regardless of whether or not English is the official language we're still going to have a lot of people who either don't speak English, don't speak English very well, or speak English but are illiterate. Manufacturers are still going to print their manuels in multiple languages in order to reach these people. It just makes economic sense.

It's called enabling. It continues to enable those who refuse to learn English. I guarantee you that if they quit doing this, the end user would find a way to understand.

Have you ever picked up an instruction manual and just about puked because it was so massive. And then find out that the portion you need to know is only about fifteen steps. But you can't even rip off the portion that doesn't pertain to you because those 15 paragraphs are one paragraph to a page with fifteen different languages on the rest of the page. So you have to read through every single frikking page?! What a waste is it for me to have to make room to store this manual of 300 pages when I only need 15 pages at the max.

Yeah........it's wasting MY time and MY space and the money I could save on the blanking product if the manufacturer didn't have to print in all those languages. Not even addressing the amount of paper it takes (and the cost to the environment).

Give me a break.

kurtsprincess said:
It's called enabling. It continues to enable those who refuse to learn English. I guarantee you that if they quit doing this, the end user would find a way to understand.

Have you ever picked up an instruction manual and just about puked because it was so massive. And then find out that the portion you need to know is only about fifteen steps. But you can't even rip off the portion that doesn't pertain to you because those 15 paragraphs are one paragraph to a page with fifteen different languages on the rest of the page. So you have to read through every single frikking page?! What a waste is it for me to have to make room to store this manual of 300 pages when I only need 15 pages at the max.

Yeah........it's wasting MY time and MY space and the money I could save on the blanking product if the manufacturer didn't have to print in all those languages. Not even addressing the amount of paper it takes (and the cost to the environment).

Give me a break.
Sure, it's annoying. I wholeheartedly agree with you there, but manufacturers would rather print the manuals in multiple languages and expand their customer base. They print them now, and they will continue to print the manuels in multiple languages regardless of whether or not English is the "official" language.

kurtsprincess said:
So you are going off and waiting for the rest of us to determine who a good leader is, vote them into power, and then you'll come back and live off the fruits of our labor and commitment.

Not sure I'd welcome you back.

You want this to be a better place......then do something other than complain about how bad things are. Get out there and pick something you can do well and make a difference.
The reason I don't have to worry about that is because there is NEVER going to be any significant reform movement. It's never going to get off the ground. Besides, I'll have to leave in two years regardless. When I do get a job it's likely to take me overseas for awhile.

Is that a bad thing?

Would it be a good thing for The United States to let California seperate and form it's own country?

I realize no one in California is suggesting that, however California does a very large immigration population. And imagine that in the future that population has not assimalted into our culture, rather wanted to create their own country.

MtnBiker said:
Would it be a good thing for The United States to let California seperate and form it's own country?

I realize no one in California is suggesting that, however California does a very large immigration population. And imagine that in the future that population has not assimalted into our culture, rather wanted to create their own country.
Did you know that if California actually was an independent country it would have the 5th largest economy in the world? I'm not advocating secession, it's just an interesting fact.

I do know that, and it is a great point. California could probably exsist as its own nation. But it would also weaken the rest of the country. Keeping California as American as possible is a good thing. A population that speak to each other and understand each other will make us stronger. A population that cannot speak to each other is weaker.

I do know that, and it is a great point. California could probably exsist as its own nation. But it would also weaken the rest of the country. Keeping California as American as possible is a good thing. A population that speak to each other and understand each other will make us stronger. A population that cannot speak to each other is weaker.

Most of the people in California can speak to each other, because they speak Spanish. The Asians and Whites are a bit out of the loop.

Northern California should cut loose southern California and give it back to Mexico. Same for Texas.

Most of the people in California can speak to each other, because they speak Spanish. The Asians and Whites are a bit out of the loop.

Northern California should cut loose southern California and give it back to Mexico. Same for Texas.

Then ya would have to include Nevada and Arizona...I say the US should cut Mexico loose...no more cheap labor,medicade,food stamps etc...let them fend for themselves in Mexico...and send those CEO's and Business owners(who hire them) down with them...they can pay 'Cheap' labor in old Mexico...Then our middle class can once again prosper...hows that?

addendum: The only reason corporations/businesses get away with paying cheap labor is the fact that the US Taxpayer pays for the illegals education(public schools),medical(Medicade) food(USDA food stamps)legal(ACLU) SSI(ripping our SSA off) if hurt on the job the list goes on and on...time to wake up America!

and send those CEO's and Business owners(who hire them) down with them...they can pay 'Cheap' labor in old Mexico...Then our middle class can once again prosper...hows that?

I like this part. If you can enforce the part about the CEO's I'd support this all the way!

I like this part. If you can enforce the part about the CEO's I'd support this all the way!

To head Homeland Security... all of what I suggested would be enforced...albeit the likes of Harry Reid et all... Drama Queens Boxer and Pelosi would try to get a 'Non Confidence' whatever passed through the Senate and Congress...cool cause then I would send them to Mexico too!....:beer:

I theenk Eenglish is good. We otter tawk Eenglish cuz its are nashional langweg. And everibudy nos how good we nos are oon langueg.

I theenk Eenglish is good. We otter tawk Eenglish cuz its are nashional langweg. And everibudy nos how good we nos are oon langueg.

More lib one liners passed off as humor...no problem resolution just more caca'...then again in Deutsch 'Sheist Kauf' hows that vino boy?:cof:

More lib one liners passed off as humor...no problem resolution just more caca'...then again in Deutsch 'Sheist Kauf' hows that vino boy?:cof:

Kauf means "buy" - and assuming you meant "Scheiße", you think he's a shit-buyer?

Kopf = head.

What I THINK you meant to call him was 'shit-head' or "Scheißekopf"

:)

Tschuess!

thoughts on this qoute?
This should not even be a question because the answer is obvious.

The answer to this question is emphatically YES. Every immigrant that I know feels the same way. In fact, I had to learn English as a young boy (you wouldn't know that loquacious, little ol' me couldn't speak a word of it at one time, either)

This is America, the language is English. If you want to become a citizen, learn English.

And, Kathianne is right, people who speak a separate language eventually will want to form their own country.

Forum List

Back