CDZ why post-apocalytic fiction is all the rage with both libs and cons

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
An excellent essay in the new National Review (Dec. 31, 2014) by Mr. Ian Tuttle, this:

To Carry the Fire National Review Online

pic_nrd_20141231_tuttle.jpg

cover_20141231_toc.jpg

An except:

to carry the fire said:
In early December, downtown Los Angeles erupted in flames. Observers reaching for a sufficient word seemed unanimously to converge on “apocalyptic.”

The End is always nigh, but it seems to be more nigh than usual of late. So say the novelists, who have recently inundated the mainstream literary market with fiction of the post-apocalyptic type. In July, Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert turned Edan Lepucki’s debut novel, California, about a young married couple’s exodus from an apocalypse-stricken Los Angeles, into a New York Times bestseller. Michel Faber’s The Book of Strange New Things appeared in October, chronicling the journey of an intergalactic missionary as his wife struggles on an Earth being ravaged by natural disaster. In April 2015, Benjamin Percy will publish The Dead Lands, described as “a post-apocalyptic reimagining of the Lewis and Clark saga.” And one would be remiss not to note the subject’s boom in other media: AMC’s The Walking Dead, for example.

I strongly urge you to read it in its entirety.

Disir

There will come a day when the crawdads become sentient, and exact punishing vengeance for the millions we have massacred for the sake of our taste buds. :p

Why?

I am not paying the National Review a dime to read that.

Besides, I leave all literature, literary devices, proper English and sentence structure to you.

I read non-fiction only.

Why?

Besides, I leave all literature, literary devices, proper English and sentence structure to you.

I read non-fiction only.

Sheesh.

That last sentence wasn't directed only at you, Disir.

It's an interesting essay, a good read.

I just thought you might like it was all.

I'll never mention you again. My bad.

Why?

I read non-fiction only.

Sheesh.

:smiliehug: I did not intend that to come out as harsh as it may have. I probably would like it if I could read it for free. You can mention me almost any time. :smile:

Why?

I read non-fiction only.

Sheesh.

:smiliehug: I did not intend that to come out as harsh as it may have. I probably would like it if I could read it for free. You can mention me almost any time. :smile:

:smiliehug: Okay.

I don't know my online National Review password, or I'd get in there and copy the essay in its entirety so you could read it for free.

Have forgotten it.

And it'd take me about three hours manually to type the article here. And I might be violating copyright laws in doing that.

Will see what I can do. :thup:

Forum List

Back