Why no giant airships?

Dajjal

Quran buster
Jul 8, 2012
England
I have long dreamed of a new generation of giant airships. They are perfectly feasible, and could use helium instead of hydrogen so their would be no danger of an explosion. I once wrote to Richard Branson suggesting he built one, but I don't think he got my letter. I did however receive a package of info from the Virgin company with pictures of a modest sized airship they were contemplating.
When I wrote to Richard Branson I told him the R101 hanger is still standing unused, and it could be purchased to use to build a new giant airship.
I suggested the airship would be a suitable venue for videos of cruises which could be sold to worldwide TV stations. I suggested that some celebrities could be given free trips and some of the tickets could be sold by lottery so that it would raise money to get back the production costs.
It could take trips over the alps, and European cities, and it could take trips over African game reserves, etc.

It could use modern technology in its design, like carbon fibre instead of steel. There is an artists impression of one below, and I think it is great except it has a swimming pool which I think is a bit over the top..
CgWlq9ZUkAEXheH.jpg

The cost of tickets would probably be prohibitive to most and a financial loser in the long run. Airlines couldn't sustain the Concorde. I put this idea in the same category.

They have professional statisticians to figure out what would be economically feasible, i.e. the costs, the demand, etc. and what would be marketable.

Okay, so you would pay for a cruise, way up high, in the air, that is leisurely and would take forever, but in our high paced society, I doubt few other would to make it a profitable venture.

But here is the problem, there aren't exactly any ports of call ten thousand feet in the air. Most folks would get cabin fever and would get bored.

How about airtels. Let these aerial behemoths lounge around some of these sites to watch sunsets and sunrises. Let helicopters or smaller blimps ferry people back and forth. Mak the blimp out of the new solar cell film so it needs few generators. Just think, they can keep the paparazzi out, or just make it a university dorm, parteeee......

I have long dreamed of a new generation of giant airships. They are perfectly feasible, and could use helium instead of hydrogen so their would be no danger of an explosion. I once wrote to Richard Branson suggesting he built one, but I don't think he got my letter. I did however receive a package of info from the Virgin company with pictures of a modest sized airship they were contemplating.
When I wrote to Richard Branson I told him the R101 hanger is still standing unused, and it could be purchased to use to build a new giant airship.
I suggested the airship would be a suitable venue for videos of cruises which could be sold to worldwide TV stations. I suggested that some celebrities could be given free trips and some of the tickets could be sold by lottery so that it would raise money to get back the production costs.
It could take trips over the alps, and European cities, and it could take trips over African game reserves, etc.

It could use modern technology in its design, like carbon fibre instead of steel. There is an artists impression of one below, and I think it is great except it has a swimming pool which I think is a bit over the top..View attachment 71888
They crash if its windy.

Lordy, lordy. Look, the moon has no atmosphere. Therefore, the helium airship would have zero loft. And airship depends on the fact that it is less dense than the air around it by volume. Just as a piece of wood floats because it is less dense than water. No air, no float.

Forum List

Back