Why is professional tennis still sexist?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by manifold, Sep 4, 2012.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,761
    Why do the women still play best 2 out of 3 in the slams instead of best 3 out of 5 like the mens singles? The implication is that women are not conditioned well enough to handle the extra sets, but that seems awfully sexist to me. In fact, conditioning is not much of a factor in the women's game at all compared to the mens, and I personally think that's a shame.

In this day and age, what possible (valid) justification is there for maintaining this sexist, anachronistic disparity? :dunno:

2. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,362
    I wonder....women players tend to serve quite a bit slower, I believe. Maybe they don't get enough aces, their sets tend to last longer as a consequence, so there is worry that best of 5 might take too long? That's about the only thing I can think of.

3. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,980
    Are women tennis players complaining about this? Do women golfers complain about using a closer tee?

4. Colin

Colin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,660
    No, but some of the male players are complaining. Many male tennis players don't agree with the policy of equal prize money at Grand Slams given that women play fewer sets than men.

Players debate equal prize money in tennis - ESPN

5. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,980
    Well considering they get to play a game as a profession, and if good at it, can retire as a millionare at around 35, they can go pound sand.

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,784
    Maybe male tennis players are stupid?

7. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,819
    Sexist views on athletics for women are still in place. It was not so long ago that women were not allowed to participate in marathons because of the fear that their uterus would fall out.

8. samjones

samjones Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm not sure what the basis is for "conditioning is not much of a factor" statement.

Nothing should be done to make tennis harder on anybody - especially women. The injury report in tennis is every bit as significant as the injury report in football. The game takes a toll and in big tournaments we're constantly seeing the best players hobbled or sidelined by illness and injury. If an argument is being made for gender equity, then make men play 3 in the slams.

It's absurd to call tennis sexist. The entire NCAA and nearly all of the olympics has zero inter-gender sport. None. Even though it would be incredibly easy to have a mixed-gender event in most sports, neither governing body seems to want to have anything to do with it.

I get that mixed doubles is a joke, but it's up to the players and the fans to make that determination, not the ATP or WTA. If the best players started focusing on the mixed doubles events then there would be little to stop them from doing so. THere is no option for a mixed-gender swimming or track relay or a mixed gender doubles skiing or diving event.

9. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    I've wondered this too.

I have no problem with equal pay for women in any sport, but in tennis it seems odd they get paid more per set than they men do. That doesn't seem any fairer than when men were paid more.

10. driveby

driveby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Mani has declared a war on women, where the fuck are the wet dog and Fluke?......:eusa_whistle: