Why i am agnostic

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Stitchman, May 17, 2005.

1. Stitchman

Stitchman Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was raised as a christian. At eleven, I started having some doubts in god and christianity as a whole. Once, while doing homework, I was required to look up John Adams in the Encyclopedia, and stumbeled on the word Agnostic. I read the definition, and it basically said

"a person who believes that, at our present level of knowledge, we cannot know whether or not a God exists."

And i agreed with that. Thats very true. So, before making the choice to officialy convert to agnosticism, i read more about it. I read a 30+ page thoery on agnosticism, and i then nearly fell in love with the religion. I believe that agnosticism is the religion of logic, for obvois reasons. I would like to share with yoy all the 30+ page theory that i read. I know its really, really long, but it really changed my veiw on religion, and i think that it would change yours as well if you read the theory with an open mind.

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/robert_ingersoll/why_i_am_agnostic.html

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Stitch, I'm curious (not yet having read the article): if someone presented a different religion to you in a logical sense, using proofs, etc. etc., would you believe it?

3. Stitchman

Stitchman Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I say that it is the religion of logic because all religions claim that their god is the only one - that there are no other gods - that all of the other religions are a bunch of crap. Well, the way i see it, every religion is contradicting all of the other ones. And please, save your breath and don't present christianity in a "logical sense" to me. Been there, done that.

P.S. who is that guy on your avatar?

4. Stitchman

Stitchman Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    also just wanna say this quote:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." (Stephen Roberts)

5. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    The guy in my avatar is Matt Morginsky, the lead singer of the O.C. Supertones. I kind of look like him, or so I've been told! :D

As to the logic... yes, all religions are eventually self-contradictory, so at most, one could be correct. Does that mean we should reject them all, or should we attempt to see if any of them are correct?

Also, having read your article, I can find three major points that turned the author off to Christianity:

1. The doctrine of hell.
    2. The existence of evil/suffering.
    3. The preception that Christianity and science are irreconcilable.

Pretty standard arguments, all of which have been rebutted in various places. Also, I notice that the author didn't bother to look into the truthfulness of the claims of any other religion, nor did he come out and claim to be an atheist, which would have at least shown me that he had guts. Instead, he basically said, 'Christianity is flase, and I'm too lazy to look into the rest, so I'll be an agnostic.'

6. Stitchman

Stitchman Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4

he is agnostic because he, as i do, believe that it is just ignorance to say that there is only one god, or in the atheists case, that there is no god.

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Been following along fine until this statement. Since you don't know if there is only one god or not, that is the ignorance. It isn't necessarily ignorant of others to believe there is one god. You are attempting to lay your ignorance on others by making that statement. Why don't you just say, "we think it is wrong to say there is only one god"? The ingorance part has no place in what I thought was going to be a civil discussion. Basically, you just called me, Jeff and many others on here ignorant because we don't follow your belief system. You called us ignorant because you are ignorant of whether there is but one god or many.

8. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    So you think it's ignorance to say that there are either 0 or 1 gods. Is it ignorance to think there are more than one gods?

And what if someone wanted to find out for sure? Is it futile to seek out the truth about God? Is God unknowable?

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I have no problem with your disbelief, but I find your quote disrespectful in this context, to Jeff or any that would try to converse with you. BTW I am NOT necessarily in lockstep with his or any of the other's descriptions of their beliefs, though I DO respect them and the other posters.

10. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    "I contend that we both belive in god. I just believe in one more god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the possible gods, you will understand why I can accept one."

:funnyface ​