Why Don't Churches Pay The IRS

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
They preach politics every Sunday. What goddam business has the church got telling Caesar what to do:

Franklin Graham: Obama is shaking his fist at God | Religion | Rock Hill Herald Online

"Franklin Graham: Obama is shaking his fist at God

By MICHAEL GORDON

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - In another provocative comment aimed at Barack Obama, evangelist Franklin Graham on Thursday accused the president of having "shaken his fist" at God by changing his position on same-sex marriage.
"It grieves me that our president would now affirm same-sex marriage, though I believe it grieves God even more," Graham said in a prepared statement.
"This is a sad day for America. May God help us."

Last edited:
Churches have long dabbled in politics and been centers of political organizers.

I would like to see churches taxed, with substantial exemptions & deductions for actual charity work done.

Churches have long dabbled in politics and been centers of political organizers.

I would like to see churches taxed, with substantial exemptions & deductions for actual charity work done.

Doesn't make it right. It religious folks are going to push their political agenda to millions every Sunday the very least they should have to do is pay taxes just like any other small business....after all, that's what they are...plain and simple.

Doesn't make it right. It religious folks are going to push their political agenda to millions every Sunday the very least they should have to do is pay taxes just like any other small business....after all, that's what they are...plain and simple.

Because it's a church they can't talk about anything political? You would like to see them denied Freedom of Speech? They're not "selling" anything, so they're not a business. The money a church makes is from DONATIONS or TITHING of the people that attend the church, or bake sales, or rummage sales, dinners, etc...the pastors are also paid with DONATIONS. People aren't forced to pay anything if they don't want to or can't. So why should the church be taxed?

I know there are large churches out there that pretty much force people to tithe a certain amount to go there, which i am very much against....i wouldn't step foot in a church like that. But the majority of churches are not like that at all.

Franklin Graham was right on about Obama....God Help Us

Because it's a church they can't talk about anything political? You would like to see them denied Freedom of Speech? They're not "selling" anything, so they're not a business. The money a church makes is from DONATIONS or TITHING of the people that attend the church, or bake sales, or rummage sales, dinners, etc...the pastors are also paid with DONATIONS. People aren't forced to pay anything if they don't want to or can't. So why should the church be taxed?

I know there are large churches out there that pretty much force people to tithe a certain amount to go there, which i am very much against....i wouldn't step foot in a church like that. But the majority of churches are not like that at all.

Franklin Graham was right on about Obama....God Help Us

I know about the Grahams...because they believe a 2000 year old crock of schit they're supposed to be smart. Well....they are in a way, about half smart.

Oral Roberts was like that. One time he raised millions from dumbasses when he told them god had spoken to him and told him he would die if he didn't raise millions of dollars in donations by a certain date. Guess what....the ignorant, the widows, the paupers, the brainwashed....all sent him a few dollars and he made his goal. He didn't die then but it wasn't too long till he did. He's as dead as a rock.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I know you might no tbe familiar with this amendment to the Constitution, or the Constitution itself. But this amendment is why the IRS cant tax Churches. The Federal Government was expressly forbidden to pass any laws against Churches.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I know you might no tbe familiar with this amendment to the Constitution, or the Constitution itself. But this amendment is why the IRS cant tax Churches. The Federal Government was expressly forbidden to pass any laws against Churches.

Then they need to obey the verses,

"Matthew 22:20-22
King James Version (KJV)

20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?

21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way."

'Course most of them don't even know what's in the bible...much less follow the instructions

King James Version (KJV)

21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way."

'Course most of them don't even know what's in the bible...much less follow the instructions

The Church's owe Caesar NOTHING. It's in the constitution....so "leagally" they cannot be taxed. God isn't going to expect them to pay tax when they don't owe it. So you just contredicted yourself! Lol!

They preach politics every Sunday. What goddam business has the church got telling Caesar what to do:

Franklin Graham: Obama is shaking his fist at God | Religion | Rock Hill Herald Online

By MICHAEL GORDON

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - In another provocative comment aimed at Barack Obama, evangelist Franklin Graham on Thursday accused the president of having "shaken his fist" at God by changing his position on same-sex marriage.
"It grieves me that our president would now affirm same-sex marriage, though I believe it grieves God even more," Graham said in a prepared statement.

They should.

Really? Where in the 1st amendment does it say that churchs don't have to pay taxes? Show it to us.

King James Version (KJV)

The Church's owe Caesar NOTHING. It's in the constitution....so "leagally" they cannot be taxed. God isn't going to expect them to pay tax when they don't owe it. So you just contredicted yourself! Lol!

Where is it in the Constitution that churches don't have to pay taxes.

I am all for taxing churches. They are a business like any other business.

What are they selling? How are they making money other than tithing, donations etc? The don't "charge" for anything. The pastor and all expenses are paid by the members and whatever else they get in "donations". I know some smaller churches that could easily not have to pay any taxes once all the expenses are shown.....

What are they selling? How are they making money other than tithing, donations etc? The don't "charge" for anything. The pastor and all expenses are paid by the members and whatever else they get in "donations". I know some smaller churches that could easily not have to pay any taxes once all the expenses are shown.....

What do lawyers sell? They get taxed. What do financial advisors sell? They get taxed.

They are selling.... god. They own property.

tithing and donations are the same as monetary gifts. I have to pay taxes on monitory gifts over a certain amount per year. Property is property regardless if i own it or the church owns it....it should be subject to the same tax.

King James Version (KJV)

If all the patriots had draft dodged the way George W. Bush did we would be speaking Spanish. 'Course there wasn't any national guard in Texas then.....:)

Hey fag, Franklin Graham made his statement Thursday, so I doubt he made his comments as part of a Sunday service. Rather, he spoke as a private individual. Anyway, the vast majority of churches have minimal-to-zero involvement in politics.

Hey fag, how about other IRS non-profit organizations? Should they lose their tax-exempt status when they peripherally engage in politics?

Hey fag, if you don't want churches to benefit from "special exceptions", are you also against harming churches with "special exceptions". For example, a school voucher law that prohibits a private individual from privately deciding to use his personal voucher at a church-based school to obtain the same education in secular subjects as at any public school?

By MICHAEL GORDON

Hey fag, Franklin Graham made his statement Thursday, so I doubt he made his comments as part of a Sunday service. Rather, he spoke as a private individual. Anyway, the vast majority of churches have minimal-to-zero involvement in politics.

Hey fag, how about other IRS non-profit organizations? Should they lose their tax-exempt status when they peripherally engage in politics?

Hey fag, if you don't want churches to benefit from "special exceptions", are you also against harming churches with "special exceptions". For example, a school voucher law that prohibits a private individual from privately deciding to use his personal voucher at a church-based school to obtain the same education in secular subjects as at any public school?

By MICHAEL GORDON

Do you often talk to cigarettes?

By MICHAEL GORDON

YOu're so full of schit...like most bible thumping Republicans:

SermonAudio.com - Franklin Graham: Obama shaking his fist at God

Franklin Graham: Obama shaking his fist at God

In another provocative comment aimed at Barack Obama, evangelist Franklin Graham on Thursday accused the president of having “shaken his fist” at God by changing his position on same-sex marriage.
“It grieves me that our president would now affirm same-sex marriage, though I believe it grieves God even more,” Graham said in a prepared statement.

“This is a sad day for America. May God help us.”

That is about what John Boener would love to say but the preacher has the right, at least under the law. This is the same bunch of Coat Sackers who use donations from huge corporations to fund their poison then bad mouth unions because they don't do the 1%.

And churches can lose that exemption should politics become the primary focus. Church employees pay income tax, and of course sales taxes are not waived for purchases either. Taxation of churches* raises the possibility of government control.

* Note: mail order "Dr. of Divinity" certificates will not allow individuals to claim tax exempt status. The Red Cross isn't taxed either, donations likewise are tax deductions.

Forum List

Back