Why do some posters

i remember waiting 3 weeks to have the specially trained tech come and install a 300 baud modem for a "facsimile" machine at work.

I was able to dial-in to the mainframe at the University with a 300 baud modem. When I was a sophomore, I worked with a partical Physicist on one of his projects and he had a 900 baud modem. It was so fast, I almost couldn't read the letters when I scrolled down the page.

we had to keypunch to use the mainframe at rochester back in the day- lived in fear that someone would rearrange your cards as a "joke".

Guilty! But I never had to use cards. The professor I worked for allowed me to use his 900 baud terminal. Sweet.

Cards? Man, you must be old! :cool:

(My first personal computer was an Apple II.)

I was able to dial-in to the mainframe at the University with a 300 baud modem. When I was a sophomore, I worked with a partical Physicist on one of his projects and he had a 900 baud modem. It was so fast, I almost couldn't read the letters when I scrolled down the page.

we had to keypunch to use the mainframe at rochester back in the day- lived in fear that someone would rearrange your cards as a "joke".

Guilty! But I never had to use cards. The professor I worked for allowed me to use his 900 baud terminal. Sweet.

i am. my first pc was a trs-80. i had a hp autoexecpartner that had 2 floppy drives so you could run this thing called "DOS". it was a laptop in the sense that it had a handle and the front folded down to reveal keyboard, the 2 drives and a 4" mono screen. weighed about 40 lbs.

Why do some posters have so much crap in their signature lines that you can't see the post for the signature line bullshit?

And why do some posters have, in their signature lines, prefabricated arguments on the usual issues?

Are they stupid, lazy or both? :confused:

They're overcompensating, just like Hummer drivers.

i am. my first pc was a trs-80. i had a hp autoexecpartner that had 2 floppy drives so you could run this thing called "DOS". it was a laptop in the sense that it had a handle and the front folded down to reveal keyboard, the 2 drives and a 4" mono screen. weighed about 40 lbs.

Well, i had to send up smoke signals!

yeah, yeah..that's the ticket!
lovitz_jon.jpg

vBB allows people to shut off signatures in the options, one could always shut them off it it is a bother.

I appreciate the advice, I hadn't even thought of that to tell you the truth, but some are really witty and great fun and I'd miss part of my USMB experience (I post here because it's good fun, not because I like to stir shit).

Yes well, my first computer wasn't even a computer, it were a glorified word processor an Amstrad and it used a language called Mallard and it had no ram and only half a keyboard. I had to learn to type one handed. Screen was in two colours, hideous green and black. No hard disk, just a tiny wafer of a floppy that took fifteen digits and filled up and had to be replaced by another thin wafer of a floppy.

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya' :lol:

vBB allows people to shut off signatures in the options, one could always shut them off it it is a bother.

I appreciate the advice, I hadn't even thought of that to tell you the truth, but some are really witty and great fun and I'd miss part of my USMB experience (I post here because it's good fun, not because I like to stir shit).
I used to live in an area that only had dial up, sigs could kill page loading time on those dinosaur speeds.

i remember waiting 3 weeks to have the specially trained tech come and install a 300 baud modem for a "facsimile" machine at work.

omg i remember keypunch and hours and hours if one damned card wasnt right

when i say..."back in the day" my son will reply "when dinosaurs roamed the earth"

when i say..."back in the day" my son will reply "when dinosaurs roamed the earth"

And your son should quickly associate that ringing noise in his ears when you smack him one with his utterance, "when dinosaurs roamed the earth."

I just hope he doesn't study palaeontology, he'll have a case of classically conditioned tinnitus :D

o and today is his....one decent meal a week...at home with mom...he expects dinner to be ready when he gets here and one minute after dessert is ready to leave

i am glad to see them come over and glad to see them go

he is 26 ....and hard as a rock...i hit him...my hand hurts for hours...i need a weapon...thats the ticket....

Pickaxe handle. I used to carry one in the back of the Landrover when I worked in the outback in a one-person station and we didn't have firearms for self defence. I never had to use it but I did get it out a few times. It was a great leveller of tempers :D

plus i like my skeletons embracing...and my signature lie simply shows how i feel about lies

I don't think he was referring to your sig. The picture is cool in a bittersweet sort of way. What's the background of it? When did they live? Were they a couple who died embracing?

My first computer was a TRS-80.

No drives at all. Hooked it to a color TV

Write a program in basic, test it.

Shut the box down and say goodbye all you programming.

It was fun, though.

Didn't get on another box until the LISA came along.

I was writing copy on it in Connecticut for a retail chain called Ingenuities.

Forum List

Back