Why do Americans and Brits have different accents?

lol.

Aussies slur their words and use only two-thirds of their mouth to speak because early settlers spent most of their days DRUNK, academic says
  • The Australian language developed because early settlers were often drunk
  • Academic claims the constant slurring of words distorted the accent
  • The average Australian speaks to just two thirds capacity
  • The drunken speech has been passed down from generation to generation.

Read more: Australian accent developed by early settlers who spent most of their days drunk | Daily Mail Online

:lol: - What for heavens sake did the Brits and Americans do with the German language? ... And what do you think how many languages would exist in the North of the continent America if the mass media would not exist? Hundreds? Thousands? Take a look at this tree: .

Stammb3.jpg

Englisch is here "Indogermanic - Kentum languages - West Germanic - English " - and that's it. I would say the interesting question is: "Why bears English no new languages, although lots of people speak English"?

Have you ever listened to Texan German?

No. I thought no one speaks any longer German in the USA since world war 1 - except the Amish people. And the Amish speak not very much.

Last edited:

:lol: - What for heavens sake did the Brits and Americans do with the German language? ... And what do you think how many languages would exist in the North of the continent America if the mass media would not exist? Hundreds? Thousands? Take a look at this tree: .

Stammb3.jpg

Englisch is here "Indogermanic - Kentum languages - West Germanic - English " - and that's it. I would say the interesting question is: "Why bears English no new languages, although lots of people speak English"?

No. I thought no one speaks any longer German in the USA since world war 1 - except the Amish people.

I know they recite the scriptures in German.

Though there are pockets of German migrants in the US where they carry on the traditions, and even give a nod to the language. Not mainstream though.

Why does my Pittsburgh accent sound so different from my neighbors in Cleveland, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York?

I spent a lot of time in New Jersey where they thought I came from the south. I also spent a lot of time in Alabama where they pegged me for a Yankee as soon as I said hello.

Stammb3.jpg

No. I thought no one speaks any longer German in the USA since world war 1 - except the Amish people.

Though there are pockets of German migrants in the US where they carry on the traditions, and even give a nod to the language. Not mainstream though.

Nothing in the German culture is a mainstream - all together is the stream. The Amish are the Amish - they have reasons for to be who they are. They are part of the US-American culture - that's what they like to be and that's what they are. Pennsylvanian Dutch is also a part of the US-American culture.

Amish:

German:

Last edited:
Why does my Pittsburgh accent sound so different from my neighbors in Cleveland, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York?

I spent a lot of time in New Jersey where they thought I came from the south. I also spent a lot of time in Alabama where they pegged me for a Yankee as soon as I said hello.

That's true. I can pick up on those differences too. The Minnesota accent, for example, is quite distinctive.

But.....the connecting tissue between al of them is the rhotic R.

Stammb3.jpg

Nothing in the German culture is a mainstream - all together is the stream. The Amish are the Amish - they have reasons for to be who they are. They are part of the US-American culture - that's what they like to be and that's what they are.

The idea of going to America is to leave what you were behind, and become something else.

It is the standard British accent
I love the angst about Britain and England.

I never understand by the way what the people in the English speaking world try to say by using the German word "angst". Angst is an essential form of fear, very fundamental. All animals suffer angst. It's a psychological form of pain. Why did you not say "I love the fear about Britain and England"? Why did you use the word "angst"?

Last edited:

Stammb3.jpg

Nothing in the German culture is a mainstream - all together is the stream. The Amish are the Amish - they have reasons for to be who they are. They are part of the US-American culture - that's what they like to be and that's what they are.

The idea of going to America is to leave what you were behind, and become something else.

The Amish went to the USA for to be able to stay what they are. This is not compatible with your idea about the USA. So what are the Amish in your point of view? A foreign object?

Last edited:
It is the standard British accent
I love the angst about Britain and England.

I never understand by the way what the people in the English speaking world try to say by using the German word "angst". Angst is an essential form of fear, very fundamental. All animals suffer angst. It's a psychological form of pain. Why did you not say "I love the fear about Britain and England"? Why did you use the word "angst"?

Some German words which have become common parlance in English, seem to sum things up so well. Like Doppelgänger for instance.

The English language is very accommodating towards the integration of foreign words.

The Amish went to the USA for to be able to stay what they are. This is not compatible with your idea about the USA. So what are the Amish in your point of view? A foreign object?

The others then,

Forum List

Back