Why are Russian trolls spreading online hoaxes in the U.S.?

Some amigo

Rookie
Jun 26, 2015
In St. Petersburg, a shadowy Russian organization called the Internet Research Agency hires trolls to spread propaganda and hoaxes online. Jeffrey Brown interviews Adrian Chen of The New York Times Magazine about what he’s discovered about the group

...And these trolls, this kind of work, from what I have gathered from talking to activists, it’s really to kind of pollute the Internet, to make it an unreliable source for people...

Troll hunter seems to be the profession of the future. Savchuk and Chen are the ones
who starts

Why are Russian trolls spreading online hoaxes in the U.S.

The why is easy.

Americans are easily duped into believing anything on line

Putin does well out of war. His popularity has gone through the roof even though the economy has gone through the floor. So.... why not use things that work to make himself popular and instill fear or confusion into his enemy?

The modern world will be like this, the more stupid someone is, the more easily they'll be taken in by propaganda.

Putin does well out of war. His popularity has gone through the roof even though the economy has gone through the floor. So.... why not use things that work to make himself popular and instill fear or confusion into his enemy?

The modern world will be like this, the more stupid someone is, the more easily they'll be taken in by propaganda.
Like democrats and fans of the NBA and NFL.

Republicans don't like NBA or NFL?

The why is easy.

Americans are easily duped into believing anything on line
And that is why it is so important to fight against trolls! Wish a good luck to Savchuk #SavchukVSTrolls
And Adrian Chen, such a brave guy to fight against Putin`s propaganda army

So, I believe it s time to start war for clean Internet, with Savchuk. #SavchukVSTrolls #FightForFreedom
Maybe she has little chance of winning but dare enough just to try. And most importantly, that she shed light on that troll nest

So, I believe it s time to start war for clean Internet, with Savchuk. #SavchukVSTrolls #FightForFreedom
Maybe she has little chance of winning but dare enough just to try. And most importantly, that she shed light on that troll nest

You think the US isn't doing such things? Or the Chinese, or many other countries that have a massive amount of self importance?

Propaganda has been a major tool for /all/ governments forever. The internet is the new media for it's delivery. During the second world war it was movies; I just watched a show earlier today about Hitler's version of the Titanic - a film casting Jews as endangering the safety of the passengers in a financially greedy quest make the crossing the fastest ever, their propaganda basically had the share holders bribing the captain to go as fast as possible, and a German crewman painted as the hero who warned them of the iceburg's and was ignored. Nazi's also presented "Triumph of Will" prior to the war in 1935 which was basically a flat out statement that Hitler would return their country to glory and asking the people to support him, he basically equated himself to a religious leader, or god, and it seemed to have worked. America's propaganda division did a series of seven movies calle "Why We Fight" to explain to American's why we had to join the war (aka fight /for/ Russia), pretty much all of Hollywood joined the cause, even Disney.

In St. Petersburg, a shadowy Russian organization called the Internet Research Agency hires trolls to spread propaganda and hoaxes online. Jeffrey Brown interviews Adrian Chen of The New York Times Magazine about what he’s discovered about the group

...And these trolls, this kind of work, from what I have gathered from talking to activists, it’s really to kind of pollute the Internet, to make it an unreliable source for people...

Troll hunter seems to be the profession of the future. Savchuk and Chen are the ones
who starts

Awesome...... a US propaganda piece warning about Russian propaganda.

Last edited:

who starts

Uh huh.....because PBS is just like Russian state controlled media. Is that right? No doubt some FOX News idiots would agree with you.

who starts

Uh huh.....because PBS is just like Russian state controlled media. Is that right? No doubt some FOX News idiots would agree with you.
I wasn't actually comparing PBS to the Russian media. Just pointing out that your government doesn't want you to take seriously anyone with an opinion differing from the Washington consensus on Russia. Doubtful you would anyway.

who starts

To counter Fedcoat trolls spreading online hoaxes in the U.S.. Stupid question.

who starts

I wasn't actually comparing PBS to the Russian media. Just pointing out that your government doesn't want you to take seriously anyone with an opinion differing from the Washington consensus on Russia. Doubtful you would anyway.
Really Comrade? What would your doubt be based on?

Those trolls have been operating everywhere around the internet but thanks to Adrian Chen and Lyudmila Savchuk their secret agency has been finally revealed. Internet must get cleaned of trolls and paid posters. Good job, Lyudmila!

I didn't say that. Separate issue.

who starts

The next war will may well not be fought with bombs and bullets, but with electronic transfers of disinformation and electronic attacks on another nation's infrastructure. Things such as electrical grids. Control of water supplies. Attacks on facilities that can with a punch of a few keys on a keyboard from thousands of miles away can release deadly toxic fumes which could theoretically kill thousands.
Or perhaps a false signal sent to another country to launch ballistic missiles at an enemy nation....

I didn't say that. Separate issue.

You didn't say anything worth saying.

If you have a point, make it. If not, don't bother.

Forum List

Back