Why Are Communists The Only Ones Defending Democracy In Russia?

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by NATO AIR, Sep 19, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    amazing how ironic things are now. i fear putin overreaches ,but reading that timeline of terrorist attacks on russia sends a chill down my spine and makes me realize where the russian people are coming from.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I hear you, at the same time we must remember that Russians are Russians. Our ideas of freedoms may not be working as well as hoped. I think the people want a strong leader, what Putin is doing may well help stabalize some of their problems.

I thought we, meaning the West, lost a golden moment at the end of the Cold War, but I do understand why business was fearful of inventing in Russia, had been burnt before. Now it's too late.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    yea, that's the sad part about the 90's... the era of golden prosperity was also the era of massive blown chances...

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Putin must attack terrorists now to justify his coalescence of power. Communists and terrorists both hate freedom and capitalism. So, in a way, they're on the same side.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I think its obvious. Communists are advocating democracy because if Putin turned away from it, they would be out of luck. They know payback is a B**** and there are probably alot of people who remember what living under them was like and wouldnt mind making them pay. Democracy and some power is better than no power.

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    that is quite true... its good they've learned to play within the system (They probably realize communism will never dominate Russia, but they know there are a lot of people who miss the days of Soviet Russia, when at least there was little terrorism and food in nearly everyone's ones mouths. Poverty and disease do strange things to people, like being willing to give up some or all of their freedom for safety and nourishment)

7. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Tighter Kremlin political control will not defeat Islamic terrorists in the North Caucasus region. Chechen rebels have been intermittently fighting Russia for more than 200 years. Russia needs to kill or capture the main Chechen terrorist leaders. Chechen murderer Shamil Basayev, who claimed responsibility for the horror at Beslan, must be hunted down. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3664864.stm Russia must do a better job of patrolling its southern border to prevent foreign terrorists from entering the country. Russia needs to strike at the sources of the funding obtained by Chechen terrorists. This may entail confrontation with certain Islamic-fascist states; especially Saudi Arabia (see links below).

Putin is on the wrong track. Rather than tightening political control, he should make a deal with Bush. What Russia really needs is a very large amount of foreign investment. In exchange for becoming a Coalition member, Putin could obtain billions in low or zero interest loans for reconstruction and development activities in Chechnya and elsewhere in Russia. What's Putin afraid of? Worse relations with the Islamic-fascists? That would hardly seem possible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/chechnya/Story/0,2763,854004,00.html

The American Committee for Peace in Chechnya:
    http://www.peaceinchechnya.org/news/20040119-GazetaRuNews.htm

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Remember how much money we poured into Russia with Yeltsin in charge that was wasted? I'm quite certain many on both sides of the political aisle would rightfully call bloody murder on that one. It would have to be the best plan for foreign assistance since the Marshall Plan. I doubt that could happen but it would be nice.

You are 100% right on Putin's mistakes though. It is a sad time for Russia right now. The only good news out of it is that democracy may be strengthened when Putin falls flat on his face because of this stupidity.

who knows though with Russia?