• Whitney Houston

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Banned
I'm surprised I never saw it, since I had such a crush on KC back in the day.

I always thought I preferred Whitney's version, but Dolly's was quite good (and she did write it, I believe.)

not a big Dolly Parton fan... but I much prefer her version over Whitney's...

Dolly truly conveys the feeling of one who's telling her lover goodbye forever... I can't think of a singer who's better conveyed choked emotion in a recording...

Whitney's version, while pleasant to listen to, is way too polished to feel genuine...

• Banned
That's pretty much exactly my take. I listened to Dolly (for probably the first time in 20 years, or whenever that song came out) - I really didn't like her back in the day. Now, I can see what people were seeing back then.

That's pretty much exactly my take. I listened to Dolly (for probably the first time in 20 years, or whenever that song came out) - I really didn't like her back in the day. Now, I can see what people were seeing back then.

Dolly's version actually brings tears to my eyes...

which if you knew me you would know is no small thing...

Whitney bastardized the song. She should have been stoned in public for remaking it.

Here's Dolly's take on it.

In an interview with UK music magazine Q, Dolly Parton said she "was blown away" by Whitney's version. She said: "The way she took that simple song of mine and made it such a mighty thing, it almost became her song. Some writers say, 'Ooh, I hate the way they've done that to my song or that version wasn't what I had in mind.' I just think it's wonderful that people can take a song and do it so many different ways."

In the Whitney version, the attention is on the singer...in the Dolly version, the attention is on the lyrics.

Thank you for posting this song. I have some painful memories attached to this song, so it kind of stings, but it's amazing. The hair still stands up on my neck when I hear it.

I hear ya. I just posted "The Blower's Daughter" in the sappy love songs thread, and just like that, it was three years ago and I didn't know, when I played it for my husband, that he was thinking about the other woman.

I think tonight is the first time I listened to it without bursting into tears.

Thank you for posting this song. I have some painful memories attached to this song, so it kind of stings, but it's amazing. The hair still stands up on my neck when I hear it.

I hear ya. I just posted "The Blower's Daughter" in the sappy love songs thread, and just like that, it was three years ago and I didn't know, when I played it for my husband, that he was thinking about the other woman.

I think tonight is the first time I listened to it without bursting into tears.

OMG! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope this means that you are healing. What a crappy situation.

Thanks. I think I am. Earlier tonight I was remembering when we were coworkers, and friends. He had a crush on me, and I was pretty graceful about it. ;) Any rate. Very old news.

This is actually pretty much my theme (except the drunken bit) song. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc]Chumbawamba - Tubthumping - YouTube[/ame]

dolly writes and sings this song for the first time on the porter wagoner show......she writes this song for him due to her leaving his show.....that will make the song make total sense knowing why she wrote it..that is why her version is so much better than the others

Forum List

Back