Who liked the old US military woodland camo?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Apparently, we're going back to that, for some reason. Everything was plain OD green when I was in there.

U.S. Army repainting its military vehicles with green paint for camouflage​

"The dozens of military vehicles were re-painted to a camouflage scheme more appropriate for its new surroundings. The vehicles are part of Army Prepositioned Stock-2 and a key element in support of U.S. Army Europe and Africa’s power projection and warfighter readiness.

Recently, 405th Army Field Support Brigade’s Army Field Support Battalion – Africa was charged with the task of re-painting dozens of military vehicles belonging to the 405th AFSB’s Army Prepositioned Stock-2. These vehicles are part of U.S. Army Europe and Africa’s power projection package, ready to be issued to deploying warfighters during contingency operations and times of war..."

U.S. Army repainting its military vehicles with green paint for camouflage

1649640887944.png

Yeah, because they anticipate war in a zone with green vegetation. I was in during Raygun and we had the green OD BD and vehicle paint.

In 1975, anticipating action in the Middle East, The Army began painting some of its vehicles, armored and otherwise, in khaki/sand/coyote/buff ... etc...

Of course, we didn't see action in The ME for nearly two decades later.

We could be going back to OD green in anticipation of boots on the ground in Russia/Ukraine. However, the more likely reason is that some influential Senator has a brother-in-law in the paint business.

Personally, my go to camo is Multicam...

e6a85f4de0c48695d3d246a3552034b3.jpg

That being said, my personal choice for the best battle uniform this country ever adopted was the Airborne Infantry uniform of The 2nd World War. With the exception of the nearly useless steel helmet, it was practical, comfortable, and smart looking.

90894982031019c9397beac3cd02c388.jpg

The woodland camo blends in nicely with the Eastern European countryside.

1649642171367.png

Apparently, we're going back to that, for some reason. Everything was plain OD green when I was in there.

U.S. Army repainting its military vehicles with green paint for camouflage​

"The dozens of military vehicles were re-painted to a camouflage scheme more appropriate for its new surroundings. The vehicles are part of Army Prepositioned Stock-2 and a key element in support of U.S. Army Europe and Africa’s power projection and warfighter readiness.

Recently, 405th Army Field Support Brigade’s Army Field Support Battalion – Africa was charged with the task of re-painting dozens of military vehicles belonging to the 405th AFSB’s Army Prepositioned Stock-2. These vehicles are part of U.S. Army Europe and Africa’s power projection package, ready to be issued to deploying warfighters during contingency operations and times of war..."

U.S. Army repainting its military vehicles with green paint for camouflage

View attachment 628855

I went into the US Army in 1991. At the time guys were returning to my first unit from Desert Shield/Storm. One of my first tasks as a newly minted combat engineer M113 APC driver was to take my squad's track down to the painters on Ft. Hood. They painted over the desert tan color returning our ride to good old woodland camo. My next unit, also on Ft. Hood, was similarly back to woodland camo vehicle color when I arrived. Shortly thereafter we were deployed to help enforce the no-fly zone over Iraq. Before heading out—you guessed it—we took our HMMWVs and support vehicles down to the painters who changed them over to desert tan. Less than a year later my same unit was selected to serve with UN Peacekeeping forces in Africa and later, Eastern Europe, which involved a couple of more paint color changes.

To answer your original question, I preferred woodland camo pattern to desert tan but my go-to for night operations and some lowlight conditions was always the mid-90's night desert camo pattern. I like many others detested the ACU splatter digital puke pattern and thought the move to so-called multi-cam was a step in the right direction. I still own and wear a couple of night desert pattern anoraks.

Last edited:
I still have a old Woodland M65 jacket/liner that I hunt in. I bought it new around '82 from a place near Fredericksburg, Virginia that made them for the .mil.....They had a small storefront where they sold irregulars.

Mine had a small hole that they sewed-over....Not a thing wrong with it, you could cover the place with a quarter but they said that it would not pass inspection for sale to the .mil.

It's funny, you can't hardly give the multi-cam away (unless it's the USMC version) but I'll sell every Woodland piece I find. If I have a M-65 with a liner in decent shape that's a easy $45.00.

Hispanics love the woodland pants to work in so I started buying the smaller sizes for them back when I was flea marketing heavy. One Hispanic guy would come by and usually buy me out, I guess he sold them to other Hispanics.

Forum List

Back