Who is more literate on science? Liberals or Tea Partiers?

Tea baggers think Religion and Science are the same thing.

That represents a failure of critical thinking on your part. That statement is pure emotion...it is what you feel and not the product of any actual thinking. The mans research just found that those who identify with the tea party are more scientifically literate than liberals....so what is your response....an emotional lashing out comprised of nothing more than insult driven by your own fear.

Last edited:
LOL. What I am hearing here is how much this individual hates the fact that there are people in this world with far more intellectual powers than he or she has.

As usual, you are dead wrong. Emotional response as opposed to critical thinking. I never claimed to be the smartest guy in the room....but I think critically enough to not be taken in by a hoax.

And contrary to your belief, the very best and brightest are not to be found within the ranks of institutions.

Oh dear...but you started it!
Analyses of large representative samples, from both the United States and the United Kingdom, confirm this prediction. In both countries, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to be liberals than less intelligent children. For example, among the American sample, those who identify themselves as “very liberal” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 106.4, whereas those who identify themselves as “very conservative” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 94.8.
Why Liberals Are More Intelligent Than Conservatives | Psychology Today

All your chart shows is the amount of brainwashing a person has been subjected to by the time they reach "early adulthood." People who stay in school longer have been subjected to more brainwashing. Of course, smarter people tend to stay in school longer.

There's a reason the "researchers" only looked at young adults. What your study doesn't look at is the I.Q.s of people who remain liberal versus people who become more conservative as they age. I was very leftwing until I was about 20, then over the course of a few years, I become more and more right-wing as I learned how fucked up the government is. Smart people learn. Dumb people never shake off their childhood brainwashing.

BTW, You'll find that the smartest of all the ideological groups, without question, are the libertarians. I'm not sure your study would classify them as liberal or conservative, but they clearly decided not to examine them.

Last edited:
I'll repost what I just wrote on another thread on this same topic in the Current Events folder.

Contrary to what the rightie kooks are ranting about, the actual linked study showed:

1. In a college-grad vs. not-college-grad matchup, science intelligence was strongly positively correlated with college attendance. (r = +0.36)

2. In a strongly-religious vs not-strongly-religious matchup, science intelligence was moderately negatively correlated with strong religious beliefs. (r=-0.26)

3. In a liberal vs. conservative matchup, science intelligence was slightly negatively correlated with conservatism. (r= -0.05)

4. In a Tea-Party vs. Non-Tea-Party matchup, science intelligence was slightly positively correlated with Tea Party membership (r=+0.05)

So, Tea Partiers were slightly smarter than the average person. But it didn't compare Tea Partiers to liberals. It compared Tea Partiers to the whole population, a population whose average was dragged down by evangelical creationist cranks.

Hence, it is not possible to make any conclusion concerning Tea Partiers vs. liberals from the study, since they weren't compared. And most of the conservatives on this thread failed to grasp that. We can't generalize to all conservatives from such a small sample. We can only conclude most of the conservatives on this thread have a poor grasp of logic.

Oh, the test problems were also phrased to be about vaccine risk, which is more an issue with liberal conspiracy theorists. Hence it's going to be "biased" against liberals, just as, say, a test on nuclear power would be. By "biased", I mean that liberals might feel a little peer pressure to get it wrong, but conservatives won't. If the test problems had been phrased to be about, say, climate science, conservatives would have ended up looking like raging 'tards across the board. All we see from this example is that, in a test biased against liberals by design, the liberals were still a little smarter than conservatives.

Last edited:
What your study doesn't look at is the I.Q.s of people who remain liberal versus people who become more conservative as they age.

But that doesn't happen. People tend to become more liberal as they age, not more conservative. Which kills your conspiracy theory.

Now, older people as a whole are more conservative, but that's because each generation is more liberal than the last, not because there's a trend of turning conservative with age.

Busting Myth, People Turn More Liberal With Age | LiveScience

You know better.. The success of the Tea Party is their FOCUS on economic and international issues.. They've cast off the social judgements that hinder and humiliate the GOP in general.. So --- the fact in evidence is that if some INDIVIDUALS in the Tea believe that Religion and Science are the same thing --- that's NOT a group value..

There are no Fundy religious that vote Dem? How many pro-life Dems in the House right now?

You know better.. The success of the Tea Party is their FOCUS on economic and international issues.. They've cast off the social judgements that hinder and humiliate the GOP in general.. So --- the fact in evidence is that if some INDIVIDUALS in the Tea believe that Religion and Science are the same thing --- that's NOT a group value..

There are no Fundy religious that vote Dem? How many pro-life Dems in the House right now?
The whole idea that people who vote for one party rather than another one can lay claim to be more intelligent is as ridiculous as claiming to be a better athlete because he or she rooted for a popular football team.
Matter of fact science students, engineers etc have little time for politics and/or political activities. It`s the rest of the "academic" crowd, of the non scientific disciplines, with an easier curriculum that have a lot of spare time to engage in political activities, are liberal and bully everyone who does not agree with them. A few weeks ago I watched a program called "brain games" with my kids on the National Geographic channel.
WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW | Brain Games | National Geographic Channel
Explore the episode
You're not as smart as you think.
On that episode a group of students were given the task to draw a bicycle.
They never did say which university it was, but with the exception of one the rest of them were not able to draw a bicycle that would have been functional. So were they all "Tea party" or Republicans ?
I bet every one of them had chanted with Obama "yes we can". Maybe not the guy who was able to sketch a bicycle that would have worked.
In another test how a zipper works the outcome was the same sorry result.

Last edited:
2009 Poll

Section 4: Scientists, Politics and Religion | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Scientists self-identified as 81% Democrat or leaning Democrat, 12% Republican or leaning Republican.

I've done that one before. The setup for the poll is crap and was a publicity gimmick for a science magazine. AAAS???

http://people-press.org/files/legacy-pdf/528.pdf

Employed 81 1990
Retired 19 602
Student 16 286

Employment sector*
Academic 63 1209
Government 9 191
Industry 15 308
Non-profit 8 162
Other 5 116

In past 5 years, devoted all,
most, or a lot of time to…

Percent Total

Research 66 1597
Teaching 30 791
Management and admin. 35 917
Clinical practice 6 159

Crap man --- the readership of that mag is OVER 70% academic and govt.. NOBODY in that poll works in the REAL world.. Shear publicity stunt..

You mean "Sheer". Academica definitely has a liberal bias, but government employment leans in the other direction, at least in the military administration. And that's a very large chunk of the government payroll.

The whole idea that people who vote for one party rather than another one can lay claim to be more intelligent is as ridiculous as claiming to be a better athlete because he or she rooted for a popular football team.
Matter of fact science students, engineers etc have little time for politics and/or political activities. It`s the rest of the "academic" crowd, of the non scientific disciplines, with an easier curriculum that have a lot of spare time to engage in political activities, are liberal and bully everyone who does not agree with them. A few weeks ago I watched a program called "brain games" with my kids on the National Geographic channel.
Explore the episode
They never did say which university it was, but with the exception of one the rest of them were not able to draw a bicycle that would have been functional. So were they all "Tea party" or Republicans ?
I bet every one of them had chanted with Obama "yes we can". Maybe not the guy who was able to sketch a bicycle that would have worked.

The smarter you are, the more educated you have become, the greater likelihood that you will not believe in the supernatural (ie, religion) and that you will be a political liberal.

It is a completely natural and unavoidable result of human's interface with reality. Strong conservatism and a belief in god(s) requires a substandard intellect; one prone to profound errors.

;-)

Last edited:
You mean "Sheer". Academica definitely has a liberal bias, but government employment leans in the other direction, at least in the military administration. And that's a very large chunk of the government payroll.

It was something like 8% govt wasn't it? I guarantee those issues of Science Mag were sent to places like DARPA and NSA and NOT the pentagon...

70% academic and govt ---- is not even CLOSE to the employment distribution of scientists..

And why would you just poll the readers of ONE SCIENCE mag? Because they (the mag) asked them to...

Go poll at some physics and chemical engineering conferences why dontcha?

Explore the episode

The smarter you are, the more educated you have become, the greater likelihood that you will not believe in the supernatural (ie, religion) and that you will be a political liberal.

It is a completely natural and unavoidable result of human's interface with reality. Strong conservatism and a belief in god(s) requires a substandard intellect; one prone to profound errors.

;-)

If that's what it takes to bolster your self--esteem --- have at it.
U keep thinking that til you're kissing your Mom goodbye on her deathbed.. And then see if you don't have some "spiritual" thoughts..

Oh dear...but you started it!
Analyses of large representative samples, from both the United States and the United Kingdom, confirm this prediction. In both countries, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to be liberals than less intelligent children. For example, among the American sample, those who identify themselves as “very liberal” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 106.4, whereas those who identify themselves as “very conservative” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 94.8.
Why Liberals Are More Intelligent Than Conservatives | Psychology Today

All your chart shows is the amount of brainwashing a person has been subjected to by the time they reach "early adulthood." People who stay in school longer have been subjected to more brainwashing. Of course, smarter people tend to stay in school longer.

There's a reason the "researchers" only looked at young adults. What your study doesn't look at is the I.Q.s of people who remain liberal versus people who become more conservative as they age. I was very leftwing until I was about 20, then over the course of a few years, I become more and more right-wing as I learned how fucked up the government is. Smart people learn. Dumb people never shake off their childhood brainwashing.

BTW, You'll find that the smartest of all the ideological groups, without question, are the libertarians. I'm not sure your study would classify them as liberal or conservative, but they clearly decided not to examine them.

I'm sure you're right.

I'm sure you're right.

Thinking the government is fucked up does not push you in any specific direction on the political spectrum. If you moved towards conservatism, you had some other reason.

If you want to contend brainwashing, you need to show evidence, specifically, of brainwashing. Your difficulty is that you're going to have to show that it takes place in virtually every school on the planet.

The reason the researchers looked at young adults was that the study was one of young adults.

The margin in all of these studies is minute. The advantage of liberals over conservatives here is very close to the margin of error of all these studies. It is something for us to argue about but has virtually no value in the real world. Of course, all us liberals will still sleep sounder at night, exude greater self-confidence and quietly smirk at all mentally deficient conservatives. But we will do our best to keep it to ourselves because... well... we're just too smart to gloat.

;-)

;-)

If that's what it takes to bolster your self--esteem --- have at it.
U keep thinking that til you're kissing your Mom goodbye on her deathbed.. And then see if you don't have some "spiritual" thoughts..

I understand that there will be no atheists in hell.

I did kiss my Mom goodbye on her deathbed. I was an atheist before and an atheist after. It invoked in me no thoughts of the supernatural.

And SSDD, do you not know what ";-)" means?

Since we are making idiotic assumptions over a Libertarian Yale law professor's unchecked analysis of data...

Couldn't you assume since conservatives are ignorant on science that the Tea Party is made up of those dirty Liberals?

2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative.

However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t, Kahan found.

Read more: Eureka! Tea partiers know science - Tal Kopan - POLITICO.com

Last edited:
Since we are making idiotic assumptions over a Libertarian Yale law professor's unchecked analysis of data...

Couldn't you assume since conservatives are ignorant on science that the Tea Party is made up of those dirty Liberals?

2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative.

However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t, Kahan found.

Read more: Eureka! Tea partiers know science - Tal Kopan - POLITICO.com

Folks who have actually READ the Operators Manual for this country and understand how misused Govt power has become --- are GENERALLY smarter than those who toss the Manual back into the box the stuff came in..

Forum List

Back