White racists versus black racists

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
In matters of race, research shows key role for unconscious bias - The Boston Globe
"The arrest of Harvard professorHenry Louis Gates Jr. sparked allegations of racism, followed by fierce denials that race played a role in the 911 call or the police response to the report of a possible break-in at his Cambridge home.But social psychology research indicates that regardless of people’s stated attitudes about race, unconsciousracial biases can influence their behavior in surprisingly powerful ways.

That means that people who are not racist may unknowingly behave in ways that reflect racial stereotypes, even when they may disagree with such ideas.One study found that doctors with more unconscious bias against blacks were less likely to give African-American heart attack patients clot-busting medication than white patients. Another found that when participants in a computer simulation were told to shoot criminals but not unarmed citizens or police who appeared on the screen, more black than white men were incorrectly shot. Other work found that children perceived ambiguous, but aggressive behavior as more threatening if the perpetrator was black.

It’s impossible to know whether hidden bias caused Cambridge police Sergeant James M. Crowley, a white man who teaches courses on how to avoid racial profiling, to arrest the African-American Gates. But research indicates that a large majority of white people, and about half of black people, are quicker to make positive associations with white people and negative associations with black people.

Overall, Banaji said, about 75 percent of white people show a white preference in such lab experiments, whereas black people are split half and half between favoring black and white.

..."
In matters of race, research shows key role for unconscious bias - The Boston Globe

Anybody else besides me know a black racist who is pro white?

Maybe I'm not understanding your question but xsited1 comes to mind.:lol:

I thought it was interesting, in view of all the accusations being tossed around by some people that blacks hate whites, to note that about 75% of white people show a white preference in lab experiments, whereas black people are split half and half between favoring black and white.

The article is interesting also because it explains why racism might be innate and a factor in survival of the species.

"The unconscious attitudes that people carry with them are thought to be learned early in life. Studies have examined the origins of the “other race effect,’’ for example, a bias in which people have more trouble telling the difference between faces of people of another race and found that African babies raised in Caucasian families do not favor their own race, unlike babies raised in their own racial environment"

I thought it was interesting, in view of all the accusations being tossed around by some people that blacks hate whites, to note that about 75% of white people show a white preference in lab experiments, whereas black people are split half and half between favoring black and white.

The article is interesting also because it explains why racism might be innate and a factor in survival of the species.

Is it not a question of the degree of racism rather than whether or not one is racist at all?

"The formation of such deeply rooted biases probably served a specific purpose during evolution, said David Amodio, a psychology professor at New York University.

“These initial gut reactions - they’re built into evolutionarily old parts of our brains as mechanisms for survival,’’ Amodio said. “You need to be able to react really quickly to something that’s a potential threat, and in our evolutionary past, people didn’t have interactions across groups as much.’’

The formation of such deeply rooted biases probably served a specific purpose during evolution, said David Amodio, a psychology professor at New York University."

Last edited:
"The formation of such deeply rooted biases probably served a specific purpose during evolution, said David Amodio, a psychology professor at New York University.

“These initial gut reactions - they’re built into evolutionarily old parts of our brains as mechanisms for survival,’’ Amodio said. “You need to be able to react really quickly to something that’s a potential threat, and in our evolutionary past, people didn’t have interactions across groups as much.’’

The formation of such deeply rooted biases probably served a specific purpose during evolution, said David Amodio, a psychology professor at New York University.

“These initial gut reactions - they’re built into evolutionarily old parts of our brains as mechanisms for survival,’’ Amodio said. “You need to be able to react really quickly to something that’s a potential threat, and in our evolutionary past, people didn’t have interactions across groups as much.’’ "

so.....
why interracial marriage?

I do ....

cj3.jpg

Is it not a question of the degree of racism rather than whether or not one is racist at all?

I tend to agree with that. I think we are all racist to some degree or on some level. But if we decide to act on the racism or not is a conscious or learned choice.

The formation of such deeply rooted biases probably served a specific purpose during evolution, said David Amodio, a psychology professor at New York University.

“These initial gut reactions - they’re built into evolutionarily old parts of our brains as mechanisms for survival,’’ Amodio said. “You need to be able to react really quickly to something that’s a potential threat, and in our evolutionary past, people didn’t have interactions across groups as much.’’ "

so.....

Because we aren't ruled by instinct.

so.....

Because we aren't ruled by instinct.

So does a white guy have to convince himself to find a woman of color attractive?

so.....

Because we aren't ruled by instinct? Because we live in multicultural societies?

so.....

Because we aren't ruled by instinct? Because we live in multicultural societies?

Attraction is not instinctive?

So does a white guy have to convince himself to find a woman of color attractive?

If he's marrying her for her money, perhaps.

Is that how it always is, or do some white guys find a woman of a different race hot instantly?
You took my answer seriously? :lol:

Not being a white guy I can't speak for them but, of course, people are attracted to people who look different than them and have different skin colors and other physical and cultural characteristics that they do.

Why do you ask?

Is that how it always is, or do some white guys find a woman of a different race hot instantly?

Not being a white guy I can't speak for them but, of course, people are attracted to people who look different than them and have different skin colors and other physical and cultural characteristics that they do.

Why do you ask?

My uncle said to me once, everyone is racist. I said how can you know that? He said do you find African americans sexually attractive, I said not usually. He said there ya go.
So if a guy prefers blondes, is he then bigoted against brunettes and red-heads?

Why do you ask?

My uncle said to me once, everyone is racist. I said how can you know that? He said do you find African americans sexually attractive, I said not usually. He said there ya go.
So if a guy prefers blondes, is he then bigoted against brunettes and red-heads?
I guess it depends on your definition of racism and bigotry.

My friend Bill, who is white, only dates black women. He's been like this all his life. I've known a few other guys who are like that too. Is he racist against white women, even though he's white too? Or is he just sexually attracted to black women, and not white?

I think it's the latter, like you said some guys only prefer blondes, or Asian women, or petite chicks, etc.................

Forum List

Back