Which Programs should really be cut, if any?

What School Programs Should Really be Cut?

• Physical Education

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Music (choir, music theory, band)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Math (Beyond Algebra 2 & Geometry)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Literature

• Science (Chemistry, Biology, Psychology)

• Art & Expressive Writing (Art History, Studio Arts, Art I & II, Yearbook, Journalism)

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thespecter2

Rookie
Aug 3, 2008
California
Cutting school programs such as Physical Education, Art, and Music is old news but what programs should really be cut. No one really would like to see any I suppose but don't you think that cutting courses such as P.E. is a bit contradictory towards our supposed response to the obesity epidemic? And cutting art dwindles creativity and joy? Not only would students begin to lose motivation to go to school, but the learning curve will lower. Programs such as Math are being amplified when more students fail math related courses each year over any others... It makes no sense to me. Honestly, what do you guys think? Are subjects such as Math being over-produced and art programs being over-looked for there educational value?

I d say Art or music because they can be hobbies too, so it is more like a choice. But the other programs are essential.

It's been my opinion that PE should be a mandatory activity before classes start. For example have the entire school participate in calisthenics for one hour every morning from say 7 to 8 AM, let then shower and be in class by 9 AM. this way you could hire say a dozen college kids majoring in physical therapy or sports medicine to run the PE and not have to pay a teacher to do it.

The concentration in academics should be reading, writing, critical thinking, math up to calculus, science and history.

Music and art can be handled after school much like PE. Hire some music and art college majors to teach those that are interested.

But try to get that past the NEA.

None of them.

Human-kind needs all sorts of diciplines to make it work.

Math and sciences, the humanities, social sciences, fine arts, industrial arts, even sports, all of these are essantial to having a productive and vibrant society.

Children should be exposed to all of those.

Given good exposure, they'll find their own path to which of those best suits their interests and their nature abilities.

Last edited:
The cheap ass people in the school district should pass a bond so all those programs run. I do not have kids in public school anymore and you can bet I vote FOR every bond the school puts out, unless I find something sneaky going on ( and I haven't) And yes I pay taxes.

I have an idea.

Lets actually care about educating our kids enough to pay for their educations.

I sugest small schools.

No school over 200 kids in it. Yes even the high schools.

Schools need to feel like communities. My son attended a school with 2000 kids. He never gave anyone a momments problem. He attended regularly , did his work , got decent grades and was treated like a criminal every day. The school was so big and had so many authority figures ( principle , assitant principle, co asistant principle, hall monitors galore and on and on and on) that no one knew the kids. They treated everyone like they were about to go postal on everyone. He hated every second of high school.

He eneded up finishing in a home studies program. He did a year and a halfs work in 4 months.

We need to go back to teaching the kids instead of creating jobs for administrators.

Smaller schools were the instructors and admin actually KNOW each kid.

If it's public education you're talking about, I have no opinion. We already spend more per student than any other industrialized country and get the least in return. Not even the POTUS sends his kids to Public Schools. Clearly, if you want your kids to have a good education, you'll either send them to private schools (like Obama) or you'll homeschool them.

If it's public education you're talking about, I have no opinion. We already spend more per student than any other industrialized country and get the least in return. Not even the POTUS sends his kids to Public Schools. Clearly, if you want your kids to have a good education, you'll either send them to private schools (like Obama) or you'll homeschool them.

If I had it to do all over again, I would home school. No question.

Music kept my son in the school longer than he would have been.

Music and arts have always been catalysts to learning.

Smaller schools and less admin and more teachers.

we would be doing great.

Music kept my son in the school longer than he would have been.

Music and arts have always been catalysts to learning.

Smaller schools and less admin and more teachers.

we would be doing great.

Music and the arts are critical to a good education. None of the programs in the original poll should be cut, but the public school administrators seem to have their own agenda.

None of those, sports and clubs should ALL be cut. Unless the parents pay for it themselves through donations they are a drain and have no benefit to the students other than making them excessively competitive.

I think people only homeschool for political reasons. Silly to me. But as I've also said, we're (knock wood) very lucky about our son's schools. His elementary school was a tiny school... about 400 kids. (that's very tiny by NY standards) and his middle school, although it has thousands of children, offers an amazing G&T program. He's got all of his academics (focus on math, science, english social studies); he's got gym 3 days a week (I think), is learning spanish, saxophone and has health class.

His school even took about 80 kids/parents to the Museum of Natural History on a sunday afternoon.

I have no quarrel with the education he's getting.

He gets out of it, what we all put in.

Many public schools are good, some even great, but you don't hear about those, instead the media uses the few bad ones for a story. So many people are foolish enough to think that all public schools are bad. In reality the schools quality has more to do with how many good teachers they have. My high school is a great example, we had about 50/50 good and bad teachers. The good teachers taught, and the students learned. They also figured out which students were actually interested in learning and which were just there for the grade or because they had to. My chem teacher was one of the best in that school, even though I don't use chemistry everyday now I can still remember the fundamentals and even many of the formulas we learned there, because he was a good teacher. I liked chemistry because it was like computer programming and I got banned from the computer lab and classes for hacking (getting caught is the only thing I did wrong). So it was a decent substitute subject, but it was fun as well. So I was in his 'gifted group' and instead of learning from the high school books like most of his students he gave us the college books out of his own pocket. So I earned that A+ in the class and loved it at the same time. If all teachers in a school are like that then the school will have a great rating, but if all the teachers were like my electronics teacher (thus why I hacked the computers in the first place) then they will not do good for the students. Problem is that we have focused more on the grades than on actually learning.

Everyone knew that art or music class in school was a fucking joke...

They're "nice" to have, but in no way necessary in the education of our kids as a REQUIREMENT to go into adult life
So, "DiamondDave"...

Why exactly do you think music education is not necessary to children's education? Probably because you never participated in music programs yourself so do not know the benefits that music can bring to a person's life. You are completely ignorant on the subject and obviously have no knowledge of the benefits of music. Maybe you should actually talk to someone who is involved with music and then you can see how important it is. Music has been proven to increase verbal and math skills, as well as offering people a chance to express themselves creatively. So if your children, if you have any, were to participate in music, they would only become smarter and succeed in school, especially in math and science. They also would be less likely to become involved with drugs and alcohol in high school. Check it out...there have been numerous studies done. There are only benefits to music education, not risks.

I would suggest becoming more informed on the subject, thank you very much...

None of those, sports and clubs should ALL be cut. Unless the parents pay for it themselves through donations they are a drain and have no benefit to the students other than making them excessively competitive.

there is no such thing as excessively competitive.....:lol:

Forum List

Back