Where were you on this morning 5 years ago?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The ClayTaurus, Sep 11, 2006.

1. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    My grandfather told me awhile ago that a common bond his generation had was the phrase "where were you during Pearl Harbor?" It acted as an ice breaker and a unifier, providing an avenue to talk about and cope with the attrocity while preserving the memory and the significance of the event.

Unfortunately 9-11 looks to be my generation's "where were you during" event.

So, in the hopes of advancing the goals I just mentioned:

Where were you during 9-11?

I was at my girlfriend's apartment in college, we had just woken up to watch a little tv and have breakfast. Her roomates had CNN on which was VERY odd. They never watched the news.

The gf left for class before the reality of what was really going on set in, (she started 2 hours earlier than me that day) and I sat down on the couch. She was back 15 minutes later because class was cancelled, and then we sat on that couch for over 5 hours, at which point we got up and just walked, stunned. I don't think we spoke for most of the day.

The next memory I have is the campus-wide vigil that was the largest assembly of students I ever saw on campus.

2. Joan

Joan Mommy Dearest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I was sitting at my desk on the tenth floor of a building in Piscataway, NJ, and watched the whole thing unfold! It was a horrible sight! I immediately tried calling Jim on his cell - knowing he worked in the city, but not sure where - waiting for him to return my call was the longest 45 minutes of my life!

3. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    I was working as a secretary at a small land and title survey company. One of my co-workers told me to turn the radio on and that some plane just hit the WTC. We kinda joked about the pilot being drunk, and if it was a Northwest Airlines plane (some pilots were cited for flying drunk a few years prior, it was a big joke around here) etc. Then we heard that another had hit, and we then turned on the meeting room TV... I don't think any work got done at all that day. It was about 830 am when we first heard about the first plane.

4. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    When I walked into Mrs. Lutz's 4th period Biology class, the TV was on and the towers were burning. It was a shocking image to walk in on. Mrs. Lutz's teaching aide, Mr. Z, said to the class: "this is your generation's pearl harbor". I live in a suburb of NYC, so a lot of kids left school early to be with family members that worked in the city.

After school my parents and I drove to a hill by my house. From the hill we could look down on the city and see the plume of smoke. I spent the entire night watching the news.

5. misterblu

misterblu Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I stopped by my parent's house on the way to sign up for classes and get a new student ID. I hadn't turned on the TV that morning before leaving.

At first I thought my mom was joking when she told me what was going on.

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I was at work on an Air Force base. We heard about the first plane hitting the Towers and then the second. By the time the other two hit, the base was closed and I was on my way to get into my uniform and hit the Ops center as more and more Guard units were activated. Being an Intel/Ops kind of guy, I spent the next few days watching rumor control spin out of control; the news, intel, and operational reports as units got activated and sent to various locations throughout the US to provide not only airport security but disaster assitance, transportation and a host of other functions.

It was and still is one of the most horrible, fascinating and active periods in my life.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I was in my car when it first came across the radio that a 'commuter' plane struck the first tower. I was here at work when the rest the stuff went down.

:(

I'll never forget the sound of the radio...my car's engine...traffic...how 'quiet' the world seemed. :(

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I was on my way to my government class when the first plane hit. I saw that it had happened on CNN, which is prepetually playing on one TV in the student union. By the time I got out of class, the other two planes had hit. I got back to my dorm just in time to see the first of the towers collapse and I just couldn't move. I spent most of the day watching CNN. My mom didn't believe me or my dad when we called saying that the U.S. had been attacked. My roommate freaked out when I woke him up to tell him that the WTC was gone. I even remember when the Afghani Northern Alliance made a huge assault that night and some of us thought we were already responding.

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I was getting ready to leave for work, my tv was off, my phone started to ring off the hook, my mom told me to turn on the TV she was very upset. I turned the TV on just in time to see the second plane hit the second tower, while watching the first tower burn. We both knew what it was. So I ran over to her house and watched TV endlessly all day, trying to call my Aunt, and some family friends that worked in that area of NY.

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    That is so true. I remember how quiet the skies were the next few days as no planes were flying. It was eerie.