Where is the Talent?

Getting back to the topic, there are many good bands / performers that get play nowdays on XM and Sirius that would never get play on comercial radio. It's great that they get play and it does increase their popularity which results in a bit of revenue through show attendance and record sales. However, the rating system still works on comercial radio. This is what many don't get about how revenue is translated into marketing. Even the revenues paid by XM, Sirius and internet radio enter the comercial radio and TV pool and the revenue is then divided among the artist that rank at the top of that pool and get the money from EVERYWHERE. Let's say a college station plays mostly original, independent groups. That station pays license fees and submits a play list every month. But their license fees ARE NOT directed to their play list. Their play list is compiled with every other play list across the nation and then the money is given to the folks that reach the threshold of payment. The local college band that has success on a regional basis on a dozen stations with a few hundred plays, still doesn't get jack and never will unless someone gets behind them for national play on comercial radio. The propositon in itself is next to impossible without someone with deep pockets paying first for mass distribution of the product. A few thousand copies first have to be paid for and delivered to comercial radio. Not to mention the clout to get them to play. And without a major point of distribution, requiring thousands more copies of product, it won't do a bit of good anyway. And that's just product investment. Promotions and support for the music get'e even more expensive.

Sirrius actually "introduced" me to Evan's Blue, Coheed & Cambria and a few other bands that still don't get mainstream radio play, and they're really good.. (Evan's Blue might get some now...)

Sirrius actually "introduced" me to Evan's Blue, Coheed & Cambria and a few other bands that still don't get mainstream radio play, and they're really good.. (Evan's Blue might get some now...)

My 13 yo loves Coheed & Cambria, I had never heard of them. She turns me onto new music too!

Yeah, you can really find some good stuff on there. There are some growing pains going on right now with music. The distribution and availability has outgrown the models for evaluating consumption. There aren't that many more people listening but the variety and number of artist they are listening to has grown exponentially. The model for formulating revenue dispersement based on comercial radio is outdated. It takes the license money paid for all represented works and distributes it to the same old cheese that has been getting it for years. Now there is this Performance Rights Act that is before congress, essentially putting established artist even deeper into the old system of comercial radio formulation. They know that well is going to dry up, very soon, and the revenues will soon enough be spread more representatively among all these other artist represented on alternative media. No more instant wealth for flash in the pan divas, at some point.

Revelation Theory is the other one I was trying to remember, but instead went brain dead.. They're *really* good.

Forum List

Back