Where I'm at

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by brewerboy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I was born and raised a Methodist. I was "confirmed" in the Methodist tradition. Once I came to the age of consent, I started to question my Christian up-bringing, much to the disappointment of much of my family. I always had a lot of questions about this God person, and my pastor and youth pastor could never answer them in a way that satisfied me. I guess I figured that if these guys had spent their lives studying that damn book couldnt convince me, I couldnt really convince myself outside of actually experiencing God myself. Needless to say, I'm an atheist, so that has yet to happen. I very much doubt that it ever will. Plus, I take a look around me and wonder "What proof is there of God"...I mean, we're relying on a book written 2,000 years ago that was meant to convince goat herders, blacksmiths, and fishermen that the holy spirit impregnated a women. Seriously.

I dont believe in luck. Its just as much a mental crutch as belief in God. To me, its foolish to think that theres some force that decides "Hey Brewer, todays your day! Enjoy!"

I think belief in Karma is another load of bullshit. To think that theres some cosmic scale of justice that balances ones good and bad deeds, and essentially deals out circumstances in ones life is just as foolish as a belief in God. When I hear people say "I hope Karma comes back and bites you in the ass!" or something of the sort, I laugh in their faces. Its utterly retarded.

Heres what I DO believe in: CHANCE. Its a mathematics. Plain and simple. If I put one single bullet in a revolver and spin the chambers then point it at my head, theres a 1 in 6 chance that I'm gonna blow my brains out. We can all see the consequences or rewards of taking chances.

If anyone has ever read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" I guess I agree with Robert Jordans outlook on life. We're human beings interacting with human beings. We put ourselves in situations/circumstances and maybe said circumstances will work out for us, maybe they wont. Again, its chance. It all comes down the individual and the choices they make.

I also believe in coincidence to a degree. Its coincidence that I may run into an old buddy I've been wondering about. Its coincidence that I run into my bitch of an ex with my new hottie.

Chance, coincidence, and myself. Thats all I believe in.

There is no God, no Heaven, no Hell. No Pearly Gates guarded by Saint Peter and no boat-man waiting to take me across the river on my way to hell.

We die, we're put into the ground in one way or another, and thats it.

Thats where I'm at.

2. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,089
    If your little baby that you love and adore so much, as you have said in other posts, became very ill and whatever medicine available for him was not working and he died....would you or your wife think, "that's it" with him and not believe or hope that there is a "there after" and that some day, you would meet up with him again in the Spiritual world?

Or if your son were very ill and medicine was not working to heal him, would you pray to God to please help him and please make the medicine work as it should, to save him?

care

3. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I dont believe that there is an afterlife, so yes, I would say thats it. I wont see him again.

And no I wouldnt pray. Why would I when I dont believe in God? I would trust that the doctors caring for him knew what they were doing and hope for the best.

4. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,089
    ok, I was just wondering.... if the situation were dire, if some sort of instinct would bring you to pray....that's all.... :)

Care

5. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I hear ya.

Again, I'll be a born again Christian when God or an angel comes to me and proves the existence of an afterlife.

(insert Allah or whatever suits you in the place of "God", I care not)

6. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,089
    neither did saul/paul on the road to damascus....so, ya never know! and that's how i see it, since we are being all honest with our thoughts! :lol:

7. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have no clue what story you're referring to. I tried reading the Bible, but it was too much for me.

8. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,089
    saul, was killing and persecuting new found christians, on his travels he was struck/ blinded, then a voice came to him and asked him, ''saul, why are you persecuting me?'' from jesus...

when his blindness left him, saul was renamed Paul and became a believer in Christ and also an author of many of the books/epistles in the new testament of the bible.

9. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks for the bedtime story Care :lol::lol:

No disrespect. :tongue:

10. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,089

hahahahaha! well, i tried to keep it as short and sweet as i could!!!!

now....good night, you silly goose!

care

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1