Where I think Bush messed up in Iraq

Flying Duck

Aug 8, 2004
Even though I was and am 100% behind the way Bush took Saddam out of power, I beleive that there is one thing, if not more, he could have done which would have mitigated a lot of the chaos that has gone on since Saddam was forced into his spiderhole.

The way I see it, in the post-war Iraq, there has been a leadership vacuum. (Imagine your country, whatever it is, not having a real leader for 18 days, much less 18 months.)

Given that scenario, I think that Bush had a great opportunity to provide some interim leadership and guidance. Here's how I think he could have done it:

Gone on radio and TV on a monthly basis and spoken to the Iraqi people to let them know what's happening.

For example, get Peggy Noonan (or someone of equal speech-writing capability) and someone who knows the Iraqi culture(s) to give them monthly speech to:

*Reaffirm America's commitment to rebuilding Iraq and providing them with self-determination and sovereginty.

*Review what's been accomplished since the war ended, specifically within the most recent month.

*Identify priorities for the coming months.

*Put the actions of insurgents in perspective and communicate to the Iraqi people what their coutnry will be like if the insurgents succeed.

*Impress upon them that it is THEIR coutnry and that they need to take individual and collective responsiblity to contribute to rebuilding their own country and their own security. (Of course this would not be stated that directly but you get the gist.)

I think that this would have mitigated much of the chaos that has gone on in Iraq since Saddam was deposed and provided them with some interim leadership.

Although I will certainly be voting for him and support him, Bush, though a decent president, is really not my idea of a true leader. I think that on Afghanstan and taking Saddam out of power, he has shown pretty good leadership but I think that on post-war Iraq and domestic issues, he's a bit lacking.

What do you guys think?

Yours truly,
Flying Duck, The Armchair President

(This is intended to be a thread on Bush and post-war Iraq so please don't post any Kerry crap in this thread.)

Flying Duck said:
Even though I was and am 100% behind the way Bush took Saddam out of power, I beleive that there is one thing, if not more, he could have done which would have mitigated a lot of the chaos that has gone on since Saddam was forced into his spiderhole.

The way I see it, in the post-war Iraq, there has been a leadership vacuum. (Imagine your country, whatever it is, not having a real leader for 18 days, much less 18 months.)

Given that scenario, I think that Bush had a great opportunity to provide some interim leadership and guidance. Here's how I think he could have done it:

Gone on radio and TV on a monthly basis and spoken to the Iraqi people to let them know what's happening.

For example, get Peggy Noonan (or someone of equal speech-writing capability) and someone who knows the Iraqi culture(s) to give them monthly speech to:

*Reaffirm America's commitment to rebuilding Iraq and providing them with self-determination and sovereginty.

*Review what's been accomplished since the war ended, specifically within the most recent month.

*Identify priorities for the coming months.

*Put the actions of insurgents in perspective and communicate to the Iraqi people what their coutnry will be like if the insurgents succeed.

*Impress upon them that it is THEIR coutnry and that they need to take individual and collective responsiblity to contribute to rebuilding their own country and their own security. (Of course this would not be stated that directly but you get the gist.)

I think that this would have mitigated much of the chaos that has gone on in Iraq since Saddam was deposed and provided them with some interim leadership.

Although I will certainly be voting for him and support him, Bush, though a decent president, is really not my idea of a true leader. I think that on Afghanstan and taking Saddam out of power, he has shown pretty good leadership but I think that on post-war Iraq and domestic issues, he's a bit lacking.

What do you guys think?

Yours truly,
Flying Duck, The Armchair President

(This is intended to be a thread on Bush and post-war Iraq so please don't post any Kerry crap in this thread.)

not a bad idea but perhaps a bit condescending. I think the troops on the ground have a bit more credibilty with the Iraqis and are spreading the word. This thing could clear up quicker than people think once security spreads and more people have enough courage to rat out the enemy ! We just can't panic at the pace of Iraqi democracy. It takes time to do things right. Liberals think everything should happen yesterday. Too much work makes em ornery .

William Joyce said:
We'd be lucky if we could get Bush to do that much for this country.

:usa:

You must be either quite young or quite oblivious since you've don't seem to have ever heard of the President's weekly radio address.

dilloduck said:
not a bad idea but perhaps a bit condescending. I think the troops on the ground have a bit more credibilty with the Iraqis and are spreading the word. This thing could clear up quicker than people think once security spreads and more people have enough courage to rat out the enemy ! We just can't panic at the pace of Iraqi democracy. It takes time to do things right. Liberals think everything should happen yesterday. Too much work makes em ornery .

At a one-on-one level, I agree that our awesome soldiers are our best ambassadors, but from a macro level, I think the president could've provided something. If you were an Iraqi, would you be more inclined to listen to the pres or somebody like Bremmer?

On the timeline, unlike some people, I never exepcted the Bush adminstration to have some "just add water" plan for instant democracy and always expected that it would take while to get Iraq on track. I just think that the president providing them with some vision would've helped them understand what's at stake for them and get a little more buy-in from the populace. Effectively communicated, I think it would've kept more Iraqis less discontent and more willing to rat out the insurgents.

Did I say insurgents? I meant fanatical indiscriminant mass murderers.

Forum List

Back