Where are the job bills?

You're wrong jeffrocket. The stimulus did work and would have been more effective if politics - party first - had not superceded country first. Evidence of Government funded projects helping to create wealth and grow the GNP are everywhere. From rail roads to Canals, highways to airports, seaports to space exploration.

The results just don't bear out your claim. The majority of the stimulus was payback to the unions and special interest groups that had a big part in Obama winning. Would love to see some links to support your statement of govt funded jobs being everywhere. Not to mention that govt funded jobs, as I stated before, do nothing to really help the economy as privates sector jobs would. This President has stated many times his aversion to private sector even to go as far as calling them "the enemy"....not a real wise way to instill confidence in job creation.

Unfortunately for this country, your comment about politics first is spot on. Neither side has the people's best interest in mind; their maintaining of power is first and foremost. As I have stated many times before, the people argue with each other which takes the pressure off the politicians and we all ultimately loose. The country is the most divided with the most ineffective President, administration and politicians. While the people scream for a reduction in spending neither side can come up with what represents no more than a 1% reduction.

First government funded jobs:

The transcontinental railroad, opened the west, allowed farms to move product to eastern cities and made the Big Four mega-rich (one result Stanford U. -each grad and their contribution to society); hundreds(?) of small towns became centers for commerce.
The Golden Gate Bridge, open northern counties of Napa and Sonoma to easy commute to The City, private development of land including for housing and vineyards - lots of wealth created there.
Building light rail to the avenues in San Francisco, allowing for the development of thousands of homes for returning WWII vets in an area which previously was nothing but dunes of sand.
Building BART, moving commuters across the bay, connecting people from communities with less costly homes to jobs in SF and San Jose (Silicon Valley) where only those with very high salaries can afford to live.
The National Highway Act of 1956, much like the transcontinental railroad provided thousands of entreperneurs the opportunity to open shops and services along the roadways.
World War II, funded by taxpayers and war bonds provided for nearly full employment, later the GI bill provided an avenue for vets to attend school and build careers, buy homes.

I believe you confuse the political parties and pols. The parties clearly are defined; the D's represent labor, the R's represent capital and the pols represent themselves. Don't watch their lips, watch their feet and hands. It's not what a pol says, it's what s/he does.

OK then point out all of these jobs created or "saved" by the wonderful stimulus. You are talking of a completely different time and I think you will not have a list for 2010. A time before career minded politicians who won't make a stand at the risk of not getting re elected. Do you disagree with my previous statement about politicians? Or do you feel they are doing a great job?

The results just don't bear out your claim. The majority of the stimulus was payback to the unions and special interest groups that had a big part in Obama winning. Would love to see some links to support your statement of govt funded jobs being everywhere. Not to mention that govt funded jobs, as I stated before, do nothing to really help the economy as privates sector jobs would. This President has stated many times his aversion to private sector even to go as far as calling them "the enemy"....not a real wise way to instill confidence in job creation.

Unfortunately for this country, your comment about politics first is spot on. Neither side has the people's best interest in mind; their maintaining of power is first and foremost. As I have stated many times before, the people argue with each other which takes the pressure off the politicians and we all ultimately loose. The country is the most divided with the most ineffective President, administration and politicians. While the people scream for a reduction in spending neither side can come up with what represents no more than a 1% reduction.

The transcontinental railroad, opened the west, allowed farms to move product to eastern cities and made the Big Four mega-rich (one result Stanford U. -each grad and their contribution to society); hundreds(?) of small towns became centers for commerce.
The Golden Gate Bridge, open northern counties of Napa and Sonoma to easy commute to The City, private development of land including for housing and vineyards - lots of wealth created there.
Building light rail to the avenues in San Francisco, allowing for the development of thousands of homes for returning WWII vets in an area which previously was nothing but dunes of sand.
Building BART, moving commuters across the bay, connecting people from communities with less costly homes to jobs in SF and San Jose (Silicon Valley) where only those with very high salaries can afford to live.
The National Highway Act of 1956, much like the transcontinental railroad provided thousands of entreperneurs the opportunity to open shops and services along the roadways.
World War II, funded by taxpayers and war bonds provided for nearly full employment, later the GI bill provided an avenue for vets to attend school and build careers, buy homes.

I believe you confuse the political parties and pols. The parties clearly are defined; the D's represent labor, the R's represent capital and the pols represent themselves. Don't watch their lips, watch their feet and hands. It's not what a pol says, it's what s/he does.

OK then point out all of these jobs created or "saved" by the wonderful stimulus. You are talking of a completely different time and I think you will not have a list for 2010. A time before career minded politicians who won't make a stand at the risk of not getting re elected. Do you disagree with my previous statement about politicians? Or do you feel they are doing a great job?

2010, in my backyard: The Bay Bridge (Eastern Span) and the fourth bore of the Caldecott Tunnel (A tunnel through the East Bay Hills connecting Contra Costa County (pop: 1,000,000) to San Francisco, Oakland/Alameda and San Jose/Silicon Valley (both are projects of several years duration). In addition dozens of repairs to bridges, many build by the WPA, sea walls protecting Western SF from the rising oceans, earthquake retrofitting for real estate and hundreds of small transportation projects.
Transportation improvement provide for easier and cheaper commercial enterprise, save fuel and provide jobs for thousands of construction workers who spend their income in local business.

Pols have always put their election first and everything else second. I agree Pols are more focused on themselves and their reelection than the common good. Blame our collective failure to control the money which drives politics and at least consider how Citizens United v. FEC will exacerbate this very issue; watch how the Republican's will refuse to consider allowing the people of California to vote on tax extensions because each individual has been threatened to do so will end their career.

Last edited:

2010, in my backyard: The Bay Bridge (Eastern Span) and the fourth bore of the Caldecott Tunnel (A tunnel through the East Bay Hills connecting Contra Costa County (pop: 1,000,000) to San Francisco, Oakland/Alameda and San Jose/Silicon Valley (both are projects of several years duration). In addition dozens of repairs to bridges, many build by the WPA, sea walls protecting Western SF from the rising oceans, earthquake retrofitting for real estate and hundreds of small transportation projects.
Transportation improvement provide for easier and cheaper commercial enterprise, save fuel and provide jobs for thousands of construction workers who spend their income in local business.

Pols have always put their election first and everything else second. I agree Pols are more focused on themselves and their reelection than the common good. Blame our collective failure to control the money which drives politics and at least consider how Citizens United v. FEC will exacerbate this very issue; watch how the Republican's will refuse to consider allowing the people of California to vote on tax extensions because each individual has been threatened to do so will end their career.

The shape of today's economy just does not show improvement. While there may be isolated projects in some states, the unemployment numbers are still double digit and show very little, if any, signs of improving. You would think that spending almost 1 trillion dollars, we should be much lower with those emp. numbers. In the big picture, the stimulus did very little to improve jobs numbers so the justification to increase the deficit in order to improve the situation has done a very poor job. When we borrow money to improve unemployment and the economy and things look as they are today, I consider that a failure. The deficit today is 14+ trillion and increasing every minute. With that fact and the current average unemployment numbers , do you still feel the stimulus was productive? IMO it was like paying 800 thousand dollars towards the 14 trillion. Not very wise based on the numbers.
To keep bringing up Republicans while ignoring the poor performance of the Dems seems very partisan based rather than factual. Neither "side" has a lock on continuing to destroy the US economy. As I stated before, power, control and maintaining that at all costs is what most politicians are about and the ones that want to actually get serious with the spending just get swallowed up by the system.

The shape of today's economy just does not show improvement. While there may be isolated projects in some states, the unemployment numbers are still double digit and show very little, if any, signs of improving. You would think that spending almost 1 trillion dollars, we should be much lower with those emp. numbers. In the big picture, the stimulus did very little to improve jobs numbers so the justification to increase the deficit in order to improve the situation has done a very poor job. When we borrow money to improve unemployment and the economy and things look as they are today, I consider that a failure. The deficit today is 14+ trillion and increasing every minute. With that fact and the current average unemployment numbers , do you still feel the stimulus was productive? IMO it was like paying 800 thousand dollars towards the 14 trillion. Not very wise based on the numbers.
To keep bringing up Republicans while ignoring the poor performance of the Dems seems very partisan based rather than factual. Neither "side" has a lock on continuing to destroy the US economy. As I stated before, power, control and maintaining that at all costs is what most politicians are about and the ones that want to actually get serious with the spending just get swallowed up by the system.
The economy show no sign of improvement? GDP has been rising for more than year. Retail sales have increased every month since May 2010. The index of consumer confidence has been going up since last Aug. The stock market has almost doubled in value since it's low in 2009. Unemployment is 8.9% down from it's high of 10.1% in Oct. 2009. And new home sales are up this year. I think those are some pretty strong signs of improvement.

Last edited:

The economy show no sign of improvement? GDP has been rising for more than year. Retail sales have increased every month since May 2010. The index of consumer confidence has been going up since last Aug. The stock market has almost doubled in value since it's low in 2009. Unemployment is 8.9% down from it's high of 10.1% in Oct. 2009. And new home sales are up this year. I think those are some pretty strong signs of improvement.

All those numbers have been artificially propped up by the fed's continuing to print money. It simply can't be sustained. And again, we can't have a true recovery with double digit unemployment...and those numbers are not changing. Also, the jump in oil prices will only serve to undo any positive signs. States are nearing bankruptcy and the only solution is layoffs. That will increase the unemployment numbers.
It is all smoke and mirrors until those numbers begin to decline and many economist are predicting a double dip recession. You have to agree that a 14+ trillion deficit only helps to move things in the wrong direction and neither side have put forth any meaningful cuts to the spending. No one wants to touch the big three Medicare, Medicaid and SS. Just going after the waste in all of those would be a big step in reducing the deficit.

And again, we can't have a true recovery with double digit unemployment...and those numbers are not changing.

Except we don't have double digit unemployment and the numbers are changing...February was 8.9%, down from 9.0 which was down from 9.4 which was down from 9.8

The initial post in this thread was to ask where are the bills to create jobs. We have seen much rhetoric from the House Republicans but little action save for their ass kissing of the social conservatatives and tea party.
I doubt very much the House Republicans care about the misery of the unemployed - clearly blaming those out of work as lazy and not looking for jobs because they get unemployment (which the R's wish to eliminate) is absurd. Yet some believe it and post it as if it is the absolute truth.
It is obvious that the Republican Party has lost it's soul, if in fact it ever had one. Callous conservatives dominate the debate and winning the next election is the sole focus of R Party leaders.

Last edited:
"Washington – House GOP leaders are rushing a vote to ban all federal funding for NPR in an effort to reforge party unity a day after it splintered badly.

Fifty-four conservatives defected Tuesday to vote against a spending bill that would forestall a government shutdown for three weeks that they felt didn't go far enough to cut spending. But there is little chance of House Republican leaders losing votes in its bid to kill funding for NPR – the third such vote in weeks. The issue has been a rallying point among conservatives for decades.

Earlier this month, conservative activists released a video purporting to show NPR fundraiser Ron Schiller calling tea partyers "seriously racist" and saying that despite potential damage to smaller stations, "Frankly, it is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding." In the subsequent outcry, Mr. Schiller left NPR and the organization's president, Vivian Schiller (no relation) resigned. (The full video, subsequently released, shows that Mr. Schiller's comments were selectively edited.)"

Ful article: Why House Republicans are rushing to slash NPR funding - Yahoo! News

And now the neo-cons want to attack another oil rich country (Libya).

The GOP overreaching? You betcha. 2012 will remake the political landscape once again.

youre operating under the false premise that it is the federal government's job to hold your hand and be your nanny.

"Washington – House GOP leaders are rushing a vote to ban all federal funding for NPR in an effort to reforge party unity a day after it splintered badly.

Fifty-four conservatives defected Tuesday to vote against a spending bill that would forestall a government shutdown for three weeks that they felt didn't go far enough to cut spending. But there is little chance of House Republican leaders losing votes in its bid to kill funding for NPR – the third such vote in weeks. The issue has been a rallying point among conservatives for decades.

Earlier this month, conservative activists released a video purporting to show NPR fundraiser Ron Schiller calling tea partyers "seriously racist" and saying that despite potential damage to smaller stations, "Frankly, it is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding." In the subsequent outcry, Mr. Schiller left NPR and the organization's president, Vivian Schiller (no relation) resigned. (The full video, subsequently released, shows that Mr. Schiller's comments were selectively edited.)"

Ful article: Why House Republicans are rushing to slash NPR funding - Yahoo! News

The GOP overreaching? You betcha. 2012 will remake the political landscape once again.

What did you say about neo-cons attacking Libya? President Obama has done it.
When are the voters going to get it through their heads that the Federal Government has gotten way to big for it's britches?
NPR will do just fine without gov. assistance.
And Gov. can't create jobs. The private sector does.

Last edited:

All those numbers have been artificially propped up by the fed's continuing to print money. It simply can't be sustained. And again, we can't have a true recovery with double digit unemployment...and those numbers are not changing. Also, the jump in oil prices will only serve to undo any positive signs. States are nearing bankruptcy and the only solution is layoffs. That will increase the unemployment numbers.
It is all smoke and mirrors until those numbers begin to decline and many economist are predicting a double dip recession. You have to agree that a 14+ trillion deficit only helps to move things in the wrong direction and neither side have put forth any meaningful cuts to the spending. No one wants to touch the big three Medicare, Medicaid and SS. Just going after the waste in all of those would be a big step in reducing the deficit.
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a post with so many things that are just not true. First of all the Fed cannot as you say prop up those numbers. The government and the Fed can provide monetary and fiscal stimulus but economic indicators such as retail sales, the stock market, and unemployment depend on a response from consumers and businesses. If the economy does not respond, those indicators are not going to improve. Unemployment is 8.9% down from it’s high of 10.1% 18 months ago. All of the unemployment indicators, U1-U6 are down. Most economists are not predicting a double dip. On the contrary, most economist are predicting a continued slow recovery through 2011 and 2012.

Deficit spending is a long-term problem in this country as it is in most of the world and will continue to be. It is has little impact on the current recovery but threatens long-term growth of the economy.

Both parties want to do something about entitlement programs, but they can’t because these programs either directly or indirectly effect about half the population.

Obama has created the most anti-business climate in US history..................where are the jobs?

LOL

14 trillion in debt
trillions in unfunded healthcare socialism
Tax Tax tax
regulate everything
Punish success
Tax capital
Death taxes
Wars
wars
wars
and more wars

Duh?

But?

What did you say about neo-cons attacking Libya? President Obama has done it.
When are the voters going to get it through their heads that the Federal Government has gotten way to big for it's britches?
NPR will do just fine without gov. assistance.
And Gov. can't create jobs. The private sector does.

Those opposed to NPR and PBS never discuss the content. They simply and wrongly claim both are 'liberal' propaganda. Clearly they never watch/listen or if they do so with a biased perspective and a closed mind.

Government can create jobs, only the ignorant, liars or fools state otherwise.

Last edited:
Obama has created the most anti-business climate in US history..................where are the jobs?

LOL

14 trillion in debt
trillions in unfunded healthcare socialism
Tax Tax tax
regulate everything
Punish success
Tax capital
Death taxes
Wars
wars
wars
and more wars

Duh?

But?
I doubt there will be more job bills, because they aren't needed. The private sector is creating jobs.

This thread had to be started by a lefty. Only a dumb lib lefty would think jobs come from government bills. Our education system is a collosal glittering failure. God help the USA.

The Right contends that government can't really create jobs, only the private sector can create jobs, which is nonsense. Of course the government can create jobs. Even thou tax dollars are used, a job is a job. The theory of course is that if tax dollars were not used to create government jobs, those dollars would be used to create private sector jobs. Just because those dollars are left in hands of the public and businesses does not mean they will be used to create jobs. A business goes not expand just because it has additional dollars. Also those dollars may be used to create jobs abroad.

It's always better to have job creation from the private sector because it produces goods and services that provide economic stimulus, but when the economy is contracting business will not expand until the business feels the bottom has been reached and there are signs of recover. So during the economic contraction, the choice is between no new jobs and government jobs.

This thread had to be started by a lefty. Only a dumb lib lefty would think jobs come from government bills. Our education system is a collosal glittering failure. God help the USA.

Mr. Fate offers opinion, and an opinion which is not his own. If he had evidence of his opinion I'm sure he would have offered some proof.

charge-11.jpg

Democrats Plan to Unveil Make it in America Agenda
The second-ranking House Democrat, Steny Hoyer of Maryland, unveiled his caucus’ agenda to revitalize the manufacturing industry in a speech Tuesday.

Next week, Democrats will release what they dub as their “Make it in America” agenda. Last year, Democrats introduced a similar platform that included legislation that would compel lawmakers and administration officials to balance the trade deficit, develop a national manufacturing strategy, confront China on its manipulated currency and close tax loopholes for outsourcers, among other things.

Democrats Plan to Unveil Make it in America Agenda | Economy In Crisis

charge-11.jpg

Democrats Plan to Unveil Make it in America Agenda
The second-ranking House Democrat, Steny Hoyer of Maryland, unveiled his caucus’ agenda to revitalize the manufacturing industry in a speech Tuesday.

Next week, Democrats will release what they dub as their “Make it in America” agenda. Last year, Democrats introduced a similar platform that included legislation that would compel lawmakers and administration officials to balance the trade deficit, develop a national manufacturing strategy, confront China on its manipulated currency and close tax loopholes for outsourcers, among other things.

Democrats Plan to Unveil Make it in America Agenda | Economy In Crisis
Good idea. I think a lot of people prefer to buy American. A program to encourage the purchase of American made goods could be the spark that revitalizes American manufacturing. We need to start by clearly labeling products that are American made. I doubt people know which Kenmore appliances are American made. And that goes for Maytag, Amana, or Oreck. The multinational corporations don't care where they manufacture as long as it maximizes profits. If Americans want American made goods, you can bet they will be provided.

Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Home Appliances

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a post with so many things that are just not true. First of all the Fed cannot as you say prop up those numbers. The government and the Fed can provide monetary and fiscal stimulus but economic indicators such as retail sales, the stock market, and unemployment depend on a response from consumers and businesses. If the economy does not respond, those indicators are not going to improve. Unemployment is 8.9% down from it’s high of 10.1% 18 months ago. All of the unemployment indicators, U1-U6 are down. Most economists are not predicting a double dip. On the contrary, most economist are predicting a continued slow recovery through 2011 and 2012.

Deficit spending is a long-term problem in this country as it is in most of the world and will continue to be. It is has little impact on the current recovery but threatens long-term growth of the economy.

Both parties want to do something about entitlement programs, but they can’t because these programs either directly or indirectly effect about half the population.

Never stated the Fed propped up the numbers, I stated that the cause was printing money and that was what was propping up the economy. The govt is and has been printing money in order to "save us", read up in this link as you stated untruths from me The Problem With the Federal Reserve's Money-Printing - WSJ.com
You can choose to ignore that fact but eventually inflation will come into play. As far as unemployment goes, The Labor Department's statistics don't include the underemployed and those who have stopped looking for work. The Bureau of Labor statistics shows the actual number at 16.6%. Real unemployment rate higher than federal figures - MSN Money - New Investor Center

You can also choose to ignore the deficit and state that it does not affect the current economic situation but at some point, probably in the mid 30's for my kids ( they are both early 20's), they will bear the burden of the run away spending from the past 2 administrations. Please explain how a 14 trillion and counting deficit does not affect our economy...this should be fun
!
The fact that both parties feel like they can't touch entitlement spending is irrelevant as it is one if the 3 major contributing factors in reducing the deficit. I realize the govt has created a "cradle to grave nanny state" but without making changes, this country's economic system will eventually fail. You may not care since it might not happen in the immediate future, I do.

I care. I simply didn't see the need for my tax dollars paying for interest on loans to conduct a war of choice off budget; billions of dollars spent on foreign aid and billions more given to the oil cartel. If the payroll tax had been placed in a locked box as Gore advocated, the entitlement argument would not hold water.
Why the fuck is the GOP framing their argument on the backs of labor and simultaniously advocate tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans? Why scapegoat the aged, infirm and poor? Because it works to attack the weak, and since these groups rarely donate to any party, the GOP has no incentive to care for the needy.
The Federal Income Tax needs to be newly structured; made more progressive by adding more brackets to increase revenue - revenue used to reduce debt. Likewise, the limit on payroll taxes should be raised to at least $250,000 and placed in a locked box.
The argument that raising taxes will create more unemployment is weak; if tax cuts worked to increase unemployment we wouldn't be in the economic mess we find ourselves today.

Forum List

Back