When You're The Only White Person In The Room

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Very good article

"There's a long tradition in America of people offering unsolicited advice to racial minorities on how to blend in. But there's no instruction book for those who struggle with an experience that one white NBA player described as "the loneliness of being white in an all-black world." :eusa_whistle:

"Shaffer, the white student who was bused, says she realized that her father called black kids "pickaninnies" and her brother called Puerto Ricans "Spics." She heard whites talk about "Jewing" prices down and warning others to wipe a soda can before drinking because "you don't know if a black person touched it."

"I just started noticing this subtle and casual racism that nobody around me questioned," says Shaffer, who is now an activist and director of faculty development at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio.

When you re the only white person in the room - CNN.com

That is a such a sweet article! It shows that we're all the same color on the inside. You know, all this racism is so wrong. If only the whites could go live in all-black neighborhoods, they'd understand. And we'd all be friends. Awesome!

That is a such a sweet article! It shows that we're all the same color on the inside. You know, all this racism is so wrong. If only the whites could go live in all-black neighborhoods, they'd understand. And we'd all be friends. Awesome!

Lots of whites DO live in majority Black neighborhoods. I'm White/Hispanic. I live in one like that.

The closest I can give for advice to the coloreds is...I can give my tighty whities to let you feel how a white man lives but that's about it....

"The constant awareness of one's race can be exhausting. DeYoung quoted the theologian Howard Thurman in his memoir:

"The burden of being black and the burden of being white is so heavy that it is rare in our society to experience oneself as a human being."

Interesting reading.

You can expect Al Sharpton to show up and give you shit. :D

You're probably also the smartest person in the room. :D

The OP is a closet racist most of his content has been focusing on race and bashing whites
When will he stop focusing on the color of a persons skin and start focusing on the content of their character?.

The OP is a closet racist most of his content has been focusing on race and bashing whites
When will he stop focusing on the color of a persons skin and start focusing on the content of their character?.

How do you figure he's in any kind of "closet"? That idiot is an overt, out-and-out racist POS..

If you are the only white person in the room, and you are too intimidated/ uncomfortable to chill around people of another race, adapt or get the fuck out.

Everyone should aspire to being a racial minority sometime in their lives. I've found the experience quite extraordinary, and it has added much to understanding life on this planet.

YOU wouldn't be the smartest person in the room if you were locked in a warehouse full of used furniture.

YOU wouldn't be the smartest person in the room if you were locked in a warehouse full of used furniture.
I would be if the furniture was all black. :D

Very good article

"There's a long tradition in America of people offering unsolicited advice to racial minorities on how to blend in. But there's no instruction book for those who struggle with an experience that one white NBA player described as "the loneliness of being white in an all-black world." :eusa_whistle:

"Shaffer, the white student who was bused, says she realized that her father called black kids "pickaninnies" and her brother called Puerto Ricans "Spics." She heard whites talk about "Jewing" prices down and warning others to wipe a soda can before drinking because "you don't know if a black person touched it."

"I just started noticing this subtle and casual racism that nobody around me questioned," says Shaffer, who is now an activist and director of faculty development at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio.

When you re the only white person in the room - CNN.com

If you want to hear some racial slurrs, just drop a mic in on Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton when their having a conversation. being a minority white in urban areas happens quite a bit , and many a white student riding a bus has been picked on calld racial slurrs , intimidated etc. of course i realize these instances are (only a reaction to racism) but whatever. Racism and bigotry is inherent to all people when under certain social constructs. not sure what your exact point is

Forum List

Back