Zone1 When you love God above all things and love your neighbor as yourself - that's when you will see the Kingdom of God

Not quite , OP, but you are on a good road . Spiritual progression is a function of experience in past lives and applying what you learn. Later you will find out the process is a little wider and of considerable more depth than you perhaps presently imagine . But step by step and in "your " own time .

I think one of the most unintentionally deceptive translations in history is the command to "love" your neighbor.

As we all know, there are a score of different meanings for the term, "love," but none of them actually captures the import of the Christian obligation.

I call to mind the parable of the Good Samaritan. The Good Samaritan did not "love" the injured traveler by any rational English definition. Had they met face to face, they likely would have spit in each other's eyes. But the GS recognized the humanity of the victim and ACTED in a way that manifested that recognition. Christian "love" is characterized by ACTS and not feelings or emotions - which are worthless.

Imagine your neighbor is badly injured in a car accident...won't be able to work for at least six months.

One neighbor goes to the house, holds his hands, and tells him he will pray for a quick recovery. Neighbor 2 says nothing, but starts maintaining the grounds, cutting the grass, trimming the bushes, taking the trash out to the curb on trash collection day, and so on.

Which one "loved" his neighbor?

I think one of the most unintentionally deceptive translations in history is the command to "love" your neighbor.

As we all know, there are a score of different meanings for the term, "love," but none of them actually captures the import of the Christian obligation.

I call to mind the parable of the Good Samaritan. The Good Samaritan did not "love" the injured traveler by any rational English definition. Had they met face to face, they likely would have spit in each other's eyes. But the GS recognized the humanity of the victim and ACTED in a way that manifested that recognition. Christian "love" is characterized by ACTS and not feelings or emotions - which are worthless.

Imagine your neighbor is badly injured in a car accident...won't be able to work for at least six months.

One neighbor goes to the house, holds his hands, and tells him he will pray for a quick recovery. Neighbor 2 says nothing, but starts maintaining the grounds, cutting the grass, trimming the bushes, taking the trash out to the curb on trash collection day, and so on.

Which one "loved" his neighbor?
Love is fostering good-will towards someone else, whether they agree with it or not.

Forum List

Back