CDZ When to declare a website a monopoly?

I have been thinking about the whole Facebook vs Alex Jones thing: Tech giants Facebook, Apple, YouTube ditch controversial Infowars star Alex Jones

What I have determined is if a website or search engine is large enough for big government protection from monopolies to be applied to them then the website needs to comply with American standards of free speech. This won't apply to airline sites obviously but newspapers who allow replies, social sites, that type of thing.

Now, can we declare both Facebook and Twitter have monopolies in the same field at the same time? I don't think the internet needs new rules applied to it so much as a understanding of the old rules. If two oil suppliers had this or that share of our market would they be monopolies? Maybe a different analogy applies?

Twitter is a different beast. It is a website. Facebook and Google are far more than 1 website each and they have choked out competition for online ad revenue. In addition, google is a technology company beyond just a website.

Forum List

Back